C'est la Vie

C'est la Vie

Port: Everglades City, FL
31 January 2010
02 September 2008 | Sunset Island, FL
01 September 2008 | Gulf of Mexico
26 August 2008 | Coconut Grove, FL
25 August 2008 | Bahamas
24 August 2008 | Nassau Harbor
24 August 2008 | Atlantis Resort, Nassau
24 August 2008 | Atlantis Resort, Nassau
24 August 2008 | Atlantis Resort
24 August 2008 | Atlantis Resort, Nassau
24 August 2008 | Atlantis Resort, Nassau
23 August 2008 | Atlantis Resort, Nassau
23 August 2008 | Nassau
23 August 2008 | Nassau
22 August 2008 | Exumas
21 August 2008 | Exumas
20 August 2008 | Lee Stocking Island
20 August 2008 | Exumas
18 August 2008 | Stocking Island, Exumas
16 August 2008 | Elizabeth Harbor

A Pleasent Surprize

18 September 2007 | Riviera Beach, FL
jeff
While the day remained gray, placing Ft. Pierce astern and motor sailing south towards the Crossroads the storms abated. In this portion of the ICW the four-way intersection of the north-south ICW, the west bound Florida Waterway across Lake Okeechobee, and the east bound St. Lucie Inlet is known as the crossroads. Boats with an overall height less than 50 feet typically have the option of reaching the Gulf of Mexico by going down and around the Keys or cutting across the state via the FL Waterway and the Lake. The decision must be made here... south and around or west and across (or east across the Gulf Stream to the Bahamas)? Due to severe drought conditions in FL only small craft, drawing less than 2.5 feet of water are able to cross Lake Okeechobee.

Fearing stories of congestion rivaling FL's roadways and only a spitting distance between draw bridges with restricted openings, I have never traveled the ICW south of the Crossroads. In the past I've either cut across the state or sailed offshore to Miami. "Thar be dragons in those waters..." I steeled my nerves as we passed the crossroads and headed south in the ICW.

What a wonderful surprise! Saved by a chain of state parks and wildlife preserves much of distance between the Crossroads and Jupiter Inlet is wild. Red mangroves resting atop their tangled prop roots lined both shorelines (see image included). Small creeks twisted away in oxbows and a maze of passages. Periodically a large mast could be seen off in the distance the vessel hidden behind a wall of mangroves. Boat owners who know these waters well must use the creeks to shield their craft from the fury of tropical storms.

Next we entered the waters of Hobe Sound. Traveling the ICW is quite peaceful, yet the competition to prove self worth through the grandeur of one's waterfront estate that began just north of Vero Beach reaches new levels excess in this area. Who are these people?

The madness began around Jupiter, FL. Four drawbridges tightly packed the final two having openings restricted to the hour and half hour. Ahh... hurry up and wait. These are the dragons I feared.

As late afternoon faded into evening we squeezed into a crowded anchorage just off a causeway bridge in Riviera Beach, FL. The Lake Worth Inlet less than 1NM to our southeast beckoned. Perhaps an offshore run to Miami tomorrow? I'll be up at dark thirty to check the weather and brew the coffee.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cest la Vie
Vessel Make/Model: 1966 Charlie Morgan 34
Hailing Port: Everglades City, FL
About: Anne - thirtysomething culinary godess that won't admit to being a fine sailor. Jeff - thirtysomething jack of all trades that constantly reminds Anne she is a fine sailor. Carlie - nine year old Jack Russell that loves to watch the dolphins.
Extra: Currently our winters are spent working for the North Carlina Outward Bound School based on Indian Key Pass in Everglades City, FL. Our summers are spent in the Outer Banks of NC running the Outward Bound Schools sea kayak programs along the Cape Lookout National Seashore.

C'est la Vie

Port: Everglades City, FL