C'est la Vie

C'est la Vie

Port: Everglades City, FL
31 January 2010
02 September 2008 | Sunset Island, FL
01 September 2008 | Gulf of Mexico
26 August 2008 | Coconut Grove, FL
25 August 2008 | Bahamas
24 August 2008 | Nassau Harbor
24 August 2008 | Atlantis Resort, Nassau
24 August 2008 | Atlantis Resort, Nassau
24 August 2008 | Atlantis Resort
24 August 2008 | Atlantis Resort, Nassau
24 August 2008 | Atlantis Resort, Nassau
23 August 2008 | Atlantis Resort, Nassau
23 August 2008 | Nassau
23 August 2008 | Nassau
22 August 2008 | Exumas
21 August 2008 | Exumas
20 August 2008 | Lee Stocking Island
20 August 2008 | Exumas
18 August 2008 | Stocking Island, Exumas
16 August 2008 | Elizabeth Harbor

Black Point Settlement

06 August 2008 | Great Guana Cay
Jeff
We arrived at Black Point Settlement on Great Guana Cay late in the afternoon on the 5th. We were drawn to Black Point by the guide book's promise of free trash disposal, free drinking water, laundry, and stocked grocery stores. We found the government dock and walked around the community in the early evening. We did found the cleanest, most functional coin laundry in the Bahamas and the free public trash bins (Staniel was charging $2.50 per small bag of trash). The water taps were dry and the groceries were limited. Hmm, so far we were batting .500 Black Point. We ordered some bread from the local baker and returned to C'est la Vie for the evening.
On the 6th we awoke and returned to the laundry with three weeks of dirty clothes and linens in tow. Anne took up the role of laundry queen while I foraged the town for groceries. By midday, our chores completed, we enjoyed a few slices off a fresh loaf of Mrs. Rolles' coconut bread back aboard C'est la Vie.
After lunch we took the dinghy northward to explore some reefs and mangrove creeks. During our exploration, Anne discovered her favorite way to snorkel - see image included. I drive the dinghy looking for coral heads and Anne drags along behind holding onto a line. Anne spent over 90 minutes behind the dinghy and covered over 3NM. She loved it! I guess we better get a bimini made for the Origami.
Back on board C'est la Vie we decided to make a late afternoon run south along the banks to the opposite end of Great Guana Cay. Great Guana, 12 NM from north to south, is the second longest cay in the Exumas. Black Point, located on the northern end of Great Guana, is the only settlement on the island. The southern two thirds of the island is roadless, undeveloped, and beautiful. Two hours of motor sailing south delivered us to an anchorage along the western shore near Oven Rock. Within sight of Little Farmer's Cay, Oven Rock is an outcropping that resembles a traditional outdoor Bahamian oven.
??f
Comments
Vessel Name: Cest la Vie
Vessel Make/Model: 1966 Charlie Morgan 34
Hailing Port: Everglades City, FL
About: Anne - thirtysomething culinary godess that won't admit to being a fine sailor. Jeff - thirtysomething jack of all trades that constantly reminds Anne she is a fine sailor. Carlie - nine year old Jack Russell that loves to watch the dolphins.
Extra: Currently our winters are spent working for the North Carlina Outward Bound School based on Indian Key Pass in Everglades City, FL. Our summers are spent in the Outer Banks of NC running the Outward Bound Schools sea kayak programs along the Cape Lookout National Seashore.

C'est la Vie

Port: Everglades City, FL