09 February 2013 | Ala Wai Boat Harbor, Honolulu, Hawaii
Oh the cruising life!
One of the projects on our list to get Cetus in tip top shape for the next long passage (from here to the mainland) was to rebuild the head (toilet) and install new hoses (sewer lines) as well as replace an element in our Lectrasan (sewage treatment unit).
This is a fun job that needs to be done every couple years or so. In marine heads there are a few parts, gaskets and valves that need to be routinely replaced and it's just a matter of removing the head and moving it to a good place to work on it and replacing the old parts with the new. It's a little more difficult than that sounds because you have to undo all the hoses and bolts and move that heavy porcelain bowl around in the small confines.
Some wait until a major clog developed to replace the hoses, but we didn't want to take a chance that that major blockage would occur out in the middle of a passage -- much easier to do it preemptively when we were secure at a dock. Plus, since we had to undo the Lectrasan and the head anyway, it was a perfect time to do the hoses, too. We purchased the new hose we'd heard about from Raritan that is more flexible than the old sanitation hose we've always used and Terry was thrilled with how much easier it was to work with making the bends in tight spaces.
While Terry worked on that, I took on the task of taking the top off the Lectrasan (there are approximately a million bolts around the top :) cleaning out the unit and replacing the element and then reassembling it. We completed the projects about the same time and then Terry reinstalled everything -- and we're happy to have that one checked off the todo list!