Taking Our Chances South

17 December 2014 | Green Cove Springs Marina, Fl
29 May 2014 | Toronto
11 May 2014 | Norfolk, Virginia
11 May 2014 | Indiantown Fl.
03 April 2014 | Stuart Florida
23 March 2014 | Marathon - Stuart Florida
18 March 2014 | Boot Key Marathon Florida
09 March 2014 | Boot Key Harboour, Marathon, Fl
19 February 2014 | Boot Key, Marathon Florida
09 February 2014 | Key Largo, Florida
08 February 2014 | South Beach, Miami Florida
27 January 2014 | West Palm Beach, Florida
23 January 2014 | West Palm Beach Florida
15 January 2014 | Stuart Florida
20 December 2013 | Green Turtle Cay to Ft Pierce Fl
16 December 2013 | Abaco Bight
11 December 2013 | Green Turtle Cay
04 December 2013 | Spanish Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
22 November 2013 | Stuart Florida
08 November 2013 | Ft Pierce Florida

Thanksgiving Southern Style

23 November 2012 | Cumberland, Georgia
Bright blue sky - 70 F.
There are really only two times in life... Now and Too Late -
Quotable Quotes
Tonight we sit at anchor, four miles north of the Florida border with Georgia, looking out at a perfect sunset with five porpoises cruising slowly down the other side of the channel, surfacing every six or eight feet, so that we could easily hear their puffing. It is topping off the end of a perfect day. The water is so smooth that we think we could skate on it, except all day it has been 70 F and there are 36 other sailboats and three large power-boats anchored here with us in the same small bay.
The Barrier Islands run down the coast of the southern United States protecting the mainland coast, in a small way from the Atlantic and the storms that come north from the Caribbean every summer and fall. We are inside one of those; Cumberland Island the last of Georgia's Barrier Islands just four miles north of the Florida border.
The reason so many cruisers anchor here on their way south is not just because it is a state national park, but because of the 150 wild horses, the mountainous sand-dunes, the armadillos, the palmettos and the moss dripped Southern live oaks. It is also steeped in history, home to the ruins of a 35,000 sq ft. mansion owned by the Carnegies of US Steel fame and fortune, as well as the the 24,000 sq ft home, the Plum Orchard mansion, built for their son William and his wife. This was home to thousands of acres of sea cotton and hundreds of slaves which before the Civil war made plantation owners wealthy beyond belief. We visited the "settlement" on the north end of the island where tracts of land were given to former slaves and who prospered in their own community. Some of the land is still privatively owned by people of great wealth and stature. One of those families arranged the wedding of JFK jr. in the small Baptist church in the Settlement and reception back at their mansion. Pictures are included in the gallery included but do not do justice to the atmosphere surrounding the place.
A point of interest is that the wild horses (and they are wild). Signs say; Do not approach as they bite and kick using both back feet on each other. The stallions are covered in scars from battles past. They are not supported in any way by human input, and have been that way since the Spanish left them here in the late 16th century. There is legislation protecting them from domestic interference allowing them to survive completely on their own. They are completely wild and visitors are warned to keep their distance.
We anchored here, as others have, after attending a Thanksgiving dinner at the City of St Mary's. About 10 years ago approx a dozen cruising boats sought shelter in the St Mary's River a day or so before Thanksgiving. A number of residents realizing these storm-stayed boats were a long way from family and a turkey dinner they invited them ashore. In other words they put the giving into Thanksgiving. So impressed were the cruisers they brought what they could dish up and it became a potluck tradition. Since that time it has become a tradition and the City has turned it into a weeklong event. Ity has grown to approximately 140 attendees last year although the number has dropped this year because of Hurricane Sandy. Yesterday the food was far more than the over one hundred people could possibly eat so the folks passed out Styrofoam containers so boaters could continue to enjoy the fruits of the feast for days longer.
With all you could eat steamed oysters the night before, we got to mingle with first timers like ourselves as well as circumnavigators and long distance solo and husband and wife teams whose adventures individually parallel any that we have heard or read about. These people have done it and they were standing here non-chalauntly in the flesh. All were just very ordinary people, in their own way, just doing the out of ordinary thing.
The whole three days we had there, was a feast of appetite, good cheer, pleasant weather, and good will. This town puts the thanks in Thanksgiving.
And now for us. As far as we are concerned both of us are wide-eyed kids who can't drink in everything different there is to experience. The new sights and sounds, the friendly people, the challenges of navagitating shallow water, currents and tides. Everything is so much richer than we planned or expected. Sure there are a few hitches ( one being the ever changing weather, from summer to cold in one day) but they are overcome somehow. We try to operate without expectations , set our own speed, and run with tide and time rather than push the river.
Neither of us could have imagined that living in such a small space would / could be enjoyable and we wouldn't be on each others nerves. Instead we found out that we really do like each other and enjoy most of the same things. Chrissie wishes I didn't spend so much time writing blogs but she understands and wants to share our experience as well.
Right now we are experiencing the best sunset ever....right on the Florida border. What a sight ! What a place!
Comments
Vessel Name: CHANCES
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 34' MK II
Hailing Port: Toronto
Crew: Captain Dennis
About:
I am an adventurous and seasoned sailor. I have had this dream of being on vacation 24/7 x 365 for a number of years. In 1997 I set sail for Bonavista Nfld from Toronto via the Madeleine Islands and St Pierre Miquelon. [...]
Extra: Thinking of the Florida Keys. From there who knows.

Life is good!

Who: Captain Dennis
Port: Toronto