Taking Our Chances South

17 December 2014 | Green Cove Springs Marina, Fl
29 May 2014 | Toronto
11 May 2014 | Norfolk, Virginia
11 May 2014 | Indiantown Fl.
03 April 2014 | Stuart Florida
23 March 2014 | Marathon - Stuart Florida
18 March 2014 | Boot Key Marathon Florida
09 March 2014 | Boot Key Harboour, Marathon, Fl
19 February 2014 | Boot Key, Marathon Florida
09 February 2014 | Key Largo, Florida
08 February 2014 | South Beach, Miami Florida
27 January 2014 | West Palm Beach, Florida
23 January 2014 | West Palm Beach Florida
15 January 2014 | Stuart Florida
20 December 2013 | Green Turtle Cay to Ft Pierce Fl
16 December 2013 | Abaco Bight
11 December 2013 | Green Turtle Cay
04 December 2013 | Spanish Cay, Abacos, Bahamas
22 November 2013 | Stuart Florida
08 November 2013 | Ft Pierce Florida

Getting Her Ready

17 December 2014 | Green Cove Springs Marina, Fl
Dennis / Cold 64 F
I arrived at Green Cove Springs Marina, on November 23rd, just in time to catch the first cold front coming through from the north. Chances was just as I had hurriedly packed her away in the spring. A nice way of saying she was a mess. She was dirty outside and messy inside. No need to comment further, I just got to it and cleaned out some space in the VC-berth and found a place to sleep.
Then on top of everything I planned to do, I found her house bank of four 6 volt batteries, had cooked and dried out over the summer. Contrary to advice I was given, the controller did not control the solar panel. It looked on the surface, like I had lost over four hundred dollars of batteries. Luckily another sailor on a boat next to me, had served on a U.S. navy sub and his speciality was batteries and electronics. He had lots of advice on how to bring them back to life (equalization) by using a 40 Amp battery charger. Long story, but for a 60 ouncer of rum ($19.95) he got them back up to like new. This coming season there will be a full disconnect.
Sure feels good to have the boat reorganized, bottom cleaned, repainted, sails and lines back on. Always sounds corny that my sailing season begins on December 6th. The weather is a lot cooler up here in Green Cove Springs than it is in Stuart, Ft Lauderdale or Miami. We have had a couple of "northers" come through and daytime temperatures have been down in the high 50's but at night there have been a few under 50F.
I had planned to sail single handed this year, even though it might only be to the Florida Keys. That is familiar sailing territory to me now and wouldn't present any problem. My plan was to take the boat to Stuart on my own and stay until after New Years. Then a week or so after I would hustle back to Marathon to hopefully meet up with some boats going to Cuba. If I couldn't I would put in an ad for a crewmate who was interested in going one way or both ways if they decided to stay a month. I have decided on a site that another sailor gave me to experiment finding a crew mate. First posting got about 10 hits, but one reply stood out. Paul from Toronto sounded like he fit the bill exactly right. He claims he has no experience which is fine with me. Something I don't need at this point is somebody "taking' over the boat in a couple of days or weeks. It happens.
I offered him a trial period sailing from Green Cove Springs to Stuart to see if it is something he would like to do. Anyway, I picked Paul up at the Jacksonville airport and introduced him to what he might expect as a cruiser. He has fit in exceptionally well. He really is a pleasant natured guy with lots of problem solving skills and experience. He will be a welcome addition to the boat and make the winter, for as much as he wants a pleasant experience for both of us.
After launch we stayed overnight at the dock waiting for a good tide on the St John's River to Jacksonville. By noon we were ready to leave, along with another boat, who wanted to travel with us. We reached Jax stadium marina by dark and tied up for the night. A free marina with lots of berths and good access. Power is available for $8.50 for a twenty four hour period - all available from a serve yourself machine - by sticking in a credit card and pushing the buttons for your slip. Press enter !
Early the next morning we headed out to the mouth of the river in gusty cold conditions and turned a sharp right on to the ICW to make our way south. The tide and wind was perfect. Speed over ground averaged 8 knots, at times reaching 8.9 but although we tried never made it to the nine know mark. The boat following us could not make it through the bridges because of the high tide left only a 62' clearance. He needed all of the 62 feet so decided to hold up. We made St. Augustine and caught the Bridge of Lions opening at 4:00 o'clock! Record time, as we thought we might have to anchor overnight at Pine Island. When we came by there the tide had changed and now was dragging us downstream.
We stayed an extra day in St Augustine, then anchored a few nights on the way down the ICW, took a mooring at Vero Beach and stayed an extra night there. After leaving just before noon, it only took the rest of the day and we were back on a mooring ball at Stuart. Caught all the right tides and a nice full breeze. It seems like Chances is home....well maybe her second home.
She is resting on a mooring back at Sunset Bay Marina where I can visit her nearly every day. I have a few small jobs to freshen her up then we will see about where to go then. The plan is to head south again after Christmas into the Keys and cross the Florida Straits to Havana and Veradero, Cuba.
What I will do..., is sail under one bridge at a time.
As I come to it!
Merry Christmas and All the best for 2015.
Comments
Vessel Name: CHANCES
Vessel Make/Model: Catalina 34' MK II
Hailing Port: Toronto
Crew: Captain Dennis
About:
I am an adventurous and seasoned sailor. I have had this dream of being on vacation 24/7 x 365 for a number of years. In 1997 I set sail for Bonavista Nfld from Toronto via the Madeleine Islands and St Pierre Miquelon. [...]
Extra: Thinking of the Florida Keys. From there who knows.

Life is good!

Who: Captain Dennis
Port: Toronto