s/v Chanticleer

02 September 2018 | Sailing to Onset
29 August 2018 | Thuya Gardens
31 July 2018 | Anchorage in the Goslings - Chanticleer is the middle boat
26 July 2018 | Bob In Gloucester
23 July 2018 | Offshore on the way to Block Island
17 July 2018 | Sunrise at Reedy Island, Delaware Bay
01 September 2016
30 August 2016
30 August 2016
29 August 2016
29 August 2016
26 August 2016
18 August 2016

Tipers Creek to Block Island July 2014

14 July 2014
We are on to another Adventure aboard Chanticleer

Some time over the winter we started to solidify our plans to go to Maine once again for the summer. The weather and water and lobster were calling us. All boaters talk about the trips that they have been on and are planning to go on whenever they get together. And we are no exception. Through friends at the Rappahanock River Yacht Club (RRYC) and the Great Wicomico Cruising Club (GWCC) , we started to stir up interest in going to New England and Maine. Those of us who were interested, started to share stories and ideas and strategies about making the trip this summer. And so it began….

On July 6th we left our dock at 6:30am to begin yet another adventure . We are on our way to Maine via Block Island and Boston with a little side trip by airplane to Tallahasee Florida for our niece’s wedding. So stay tuned for our story and updates by following our blog at sailblogs /member/chanticleer


Sunday ,July 13th at 11:06 am we arrived at Block Island. It’s been quite a busy week for Bob and Pat aboard Chanticleer. It all started a week ago with a wonderful sail up the Chesapeake Bay to Solomons Island. The winds were SW 10-15 gusting a bit higher. Once we rounded Smith Point we were able to sail to the entrance of Solomons. It was a great way to start our trip: actually sailing and having a great time. The next day we were up at our normal “O-dark thirty” and once again we were blessed by the wind gods and sailed to the Magothy River where we anchored behind Dobbins Island for a very nice night. Once again we were up with the sun and on our way to the C&D canal. Our original plan was to go through the canal as we had a good current and stop at Reedy Island in the Delaware River to anchor and stage for the next day down the Delaware to Cape May, hopefully with a favorable current for most of the way. But as most cruisers know, plans are a moving target and subject to change and adjustment. While we were motor sailing to the C&D we were in touch with some friends that we had met a couple of years ago when we went south who also own an Endeavour 42. Ed and Chris on Freedom were also on thier way to Cape May and then on to to Maine. They happened to be at the free dock in Chesapeake City and coaxed us to come in as there was room for another boat. Also, there was an afternoon and evening T storm predicted with some high winds and lightning so we stopped and tied up. We reconnected with Ed and Chris while enjoying cocktails and, yes, air conditioning. It was beastly hot and having electricity was a real plus. There is one thing about boating and cruising, and that is you meet some really great people. And true to form while we were outside talking a couple in a dinghy came by to chat. As it turns out they also were planning on going to Cape May and then Block Island. ( Now here is where you need to start counting) . Meet Kathy and Mike aboard Braveheart. They to were leaving in the morning to transit down the Delaware to Cape May.

As it happens a couple from our yacht club the RRYC , Carl and Debbie aboard River Rat were also transiting the C&D that very same day and they were also in touch with us. They were also planning on anchoring at Reedy Island to stage themselves for the same passage down the Delaware to Cape May and then on to Block Island and Maine (keep counting). They passed Chesapeake City , we waved, they waved, and on they went to Reedy Island. Once at Reedy Island they anchored with another boat called Magnolia ,with Anthony and Annette on board (keep counting). At 5:30 the next morning Chanticleer and Freedom were on their way through the canal and down the Delaware. We have traveled this way several times and Bob likes to poke me by going through Eph shoals around the point of Cape May. Taking this route saves about 3 or 4 hours and in calm conditions is fine. I still worry though as there are some low spots but it’s really ok in the right weather. We should have been there an hour earlier before the wind and tide were opposing but that was not to be. Bob was at the wheel and did a great job getting us around the point. It was a bit confused and pretty interesting but he managed just fine. Once around the point it settled out but was still a little rolly. Finally, after 11 hours, at 4:30pm we entered the inlet . YEAH!!!! Following the “Bob Norman Rule” we then went for fuel and water and were settled in by 5:30 PM, at anchor by the Coast Guard Station. While we were underway Bob had noticed that our batteries were not charging. Bummer!! So, after anchoring and taking a breath he was on the hunt for the problem. Thankfully he was able to find it quite fast - it was a wire that had broken off at the terminal and was no longer connected to the alternator and therefore the charging unit. Whew, disaster averted!

Thursday morning we dropped our dinghy in the water and motored around the anchorage to chat with new and old friends. Also anchored with us were Freedom, River Rat , Braveheart and Magnolia.

Bentley and Jim aboard Salty Paws are also members of the cruising community and good friends of ours. They have been moored in Cape May Harbor for several weeks. We reconnected with them over dinner aboard Salty Paws (a delicious meal of turkey sausage and pasta) and then had a wonderful evening walking to town to a small coffee shop which was holding open mic night. Bentley and Jim are talented musicians and they invited us to join them while they performed. What great fun!

As it turns out we were all waiting for a weather window to do an overnight to Block Island, which could take up to 36 hours. After a few cocktails and chats alongside a boat or two it was decided that we all wanted to go together and would wait for a window and then leave as a group. This was our first group for a crossing, as we usually go alone, but we were happy to have the company. It was decided by the group to leave at 3am on Saturday as the tide would be favorable to leave the inlet and we’d have the added benefit of getting to Block earlier in the day as the weather forecast showed heavier SW winds in the early afternoon. What a great decision!!! The winds were S to SW from 5 to 15 with some higher gusts., the seas were 1 to 2 feet or less. The moon was beautiful and the conditions wonderful. It was agreed that we would call ourselves “Block Island Bound” on the VHF and check in every 4 hours with each other to be sure all was well with boats and crew. We all went at our own pace and it worked out great. So our solo crossing, easlily became a group of 5 and in the process we have made new friends and had fun. Oh also while we were out there a boat called Happy joined our group until he left us for Greenport so count them ….6

This goes along with things that you cant make up. After entering the harbor we were in search of a mooring which were rapidly disappearing when we spotted one! As we were driving down the isle to pick it up Bob yells look who’s here, its Cats Paws! We met Eileen and Mike one summer when we were anchored in Weems Creek after the SSCA Gam and during the boat show in Annapolis. They are friends of Jim and Joanne aboard the old Heather who are yes you guessed it aboard their new boat in NH going to Maine. It sure is a small world and a great big sailing community!! Finally, we returned to our boat this afternoon and moored next to us was “Lion Hearted”, with Andy and Kenna aboard, folks we have know for almost 25 years but have not seen for a long, long time.

Comments
Vessel Name: Chanticleer
Vessel Make/Model: Endeavour 42
Hailing Port: Tipers Creek, Virginia
Crew: Pat and Bob Sikora