Chaotic Harmony

A family adventure by sail around the world

10 October 2014 | Darwin
25 February 2014 | Darwin
14 January 2014 | Darwin
09 December 2013 | Brisbane
29 November 2013 | Brisbane
10 October 2013 | Brisbane
05 October 2013 | Coral Sea
19 September 2013 | Port Denarau
09 July 2013 | Pacific Ocean
01 July 2013 | At Sea
29 June 2013 | Bora Bora
09 June 2013 | Moorea, French Polynesia
31 May 2013 | Tahiti, French Polynesia
13 April 2013 | Pacific Ocean 3
25 March 2013 | Pacific Ocean
20 March 2013 | Pacific Ocean
16 March 2013 | Pacific Ocean

St Helena Island

25 February 2012 | St Helena Island
Ian
St Helena Island

We leave St Helena for Ascension Island at lunch today after 9 days on the lovely paradise. It first looks like a barren rock but is full of exceptionaly friendly and interesting people and the history is to be marvelled at. It goes back to the 1600's and most recently was Napolean's exile after Waterloo.

The locals are a mixture of people with what appears at first to be English accents and which were originally but it has evolved into something worse than the Australian dialect and very difficult to grasp.

St Helena is expensive but worth the stop. No beaches, just rock and history. The RMS (Royal Mail Ship) St Helena is their only form of transport into and out and it arrives every few weeks bringing cargo and mail. No airstrip so no flights. Not a good place to get sick. There is a hospital and a dentist that we used and several shops winding into the narrow gorge that is Jamestown.

The main source of foreign income seems to be visiting yachts although a cruise ship arrives today swelling the population from 5000 to 6500. Should be interesting.

Ascension is 700nm further on so we are planning on stopping there before the Caribbean as we need visas to land in Brazil. Only Americans and Australians require them so I guess the Australian beaurocracy has up set these people at some stage.
Comments
Vessel Name: Chaotic Harmony
Vessel Make/Model: Catana42S
Hailing Port: Darwin, N.T. Australia
Crew: Ian, Jo, Gillen and Keely
About: Ian, the first skipper, Jo, second skipper and First Mate. Gillen, the Second Mate and L-Plate Navigator/Skipper and Keely, the food taster and fisherwoman and overall Admiral.