Chaotic Harmony

A family adventure by sail around the world

10 October 2014 | Darwin
25 February 2014 | Darwin
14 January 2014 | Darwin
09 December 2013 | Brisbane
29 November 2013 | Brisbane
10 October 2013 | Brisbane
05 October 2013 | Coral Sea
19 September 2013 | Port Denarau
09 July 2013 | Pacific Ocean
01 July 2013 | At Sea
29 June 2013 | Bora Bora
09 June 2013 | Moorea, French Polynesia
31 May 2013 | Tahiti, French Polynesia
13 April 2013 | Pacific Ocean 3
25 March 2013 | Pacific Ocean
20 March 2013 | Pacific Ocean
16 March 2013 | Pacific Ocean

Chaotic Harmony and the Big Dorado

06 March 2013 | Pacific Ocean
Ian
Hi,

Chaotic Harmony and her crew are about to get back to the Southern Hemisphere after a long voyage through the North. We are currently at 00 degrees 40 minutes North latitude and will cross the line sometime after midnight tonight. We have run out of wind. The seas are flat calm and we are motoring on one engine.

While sitting down this evening discussing what sort of celebration we would have as we are now old hands at this business the port side fishing line began to scream and 19 minutes later we had the biggest dolphin fish (Mahi Mahi or Dorado) I have ever seen alongside. Gill was ready with the gaff, Keely was running around in circles very excited and Jo was steering with the engines as we fought the monster but alas, we did not fight it long enough and it took off with our new 50c lure. It was just as well probably as one side of it would have filled the freezer which is already full so glad it lives to fight another day and eat another 2 ton of Flying Fish.

We have finally gotten used to our Code Zero sail and fly it at every opportunity. We can make 5 to 6 knots in about an 8 knot breeze so this is outstanding and will help us cross the Pacific. We flew it all day in 5 knots of wind for 5 knots of speed but had a 1.5 knot current with us. The sea when flat is amazing. Crystal clear and great to finally get back into an ocean such as the Pacific where I have spent so much sea time.

In about 2 days we will be south of the Galapagos Islands and will head west for the Marquesas of French Polynesia.

Be good.
Comments
Vessel Name: Chaotic Harmony
Vessel Make/Model: Catana42S
Hailing Port: Darwin, N.T. Australia
Crew: Ian, Jo, Gillen and Keely
About: Ian, the first skipper, Jo, second skipper and First Mate. Gillen, the Second Mate and L-Plate Navigator/Skipper and Keely, the food taster and fisherwoman and overall Admiral.