s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

The Blue Hole

30 March 2015 | Hoffman Cay
Helen
Departed Castaway Cay at 8:30 and the next Disney ship was already in port. A totally different weather day with calmer seas, sun shining and a lot less wind. We motor sailed to the Berry Island chain. Mark chose one island, but as we headed closer and he got the weather, there was a decision to change to Hoffman Cay to see the Blue Hole. The water around the many Cays in this area was quite shallow but at least 5 feet below us. Mark chose a very protected area to anchor just off the beach which included a path to the famous Blue Hole. Mark and Robert dropped the dinghy in the water and decided we would row over to the beach. We had lunch and got our swim and snorkel gear and headed to shore. The path was well marked and we followed the guide book instructions. At the end is was questionable but Mark found the correct location. It was a huge pond surrounded by weathered limestone with a lunar landing look. Lots of protected caves. We all got in the water. Mark dove down several times and spotted lots of fish along the edge. The light from the sun pierced the waters with beams of sun rays. It was incredible. My underwater camera battery failed just as we got to the hole. As we walked back thru the jungle like path, we passed a group of people heading to the hole. Also saw a couple of different types of small iguanas. We walked the small beach which had incredibly soft sand. The water was beautiful in color and so very clear. The ladies paddled the dinghy most of the way back to boat. We had the whole anchorage area to ourselves, with a Canadian power boater quite a ways off. We took a swim around the boat. I checked the anchor which was holding. Everyone got in the water which was much colder than the temperature at the beach or at the Blue Hole. After showering, Mark and Robert worked on the sail and trimmed one of the reefing lines while Chris and I cooked dinner. The winds were very light and there was not much motion on the boat. We all decided to retire early until Robert brought out his computer and decided to watch a movie. So, we all stayed up way past cruiser's bed time to watch the whole thing. The winds were light overnight so everyone had a good sleep. We are listening to weather in order to plan our day.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015