s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Boat Projects and Snorkel

03 December 2017 | George Town, Grand Cayman
Helen
We were watching another episodes of the first season of Heroes last night, and heard fireworks. It was a fabulous lengthy display. It reminded us of last year's fireworks at Dan & Kristen's. And speaking of Dan, we noticed a shining bright red Ferrari in the parking lot of the Lobster Pot, which is next door to our dinghy dock. We were up early on a very bright and sunny day here in the islands. Decided to work on boat projects instead of heading to North Sound. Also, we are convenient to a number of shops, so we will head there early tomorrow. Boat projects included, disconnecting the mast head tri-light, checked all connections to AIS cabling between the VHF radio and the chart plotter, adjusted the port side rigging, cleaned the wiring connections for the wind direction indicator which had been flaky, applied locktight to all the faucet handles and untangled the spinnaker sock hoisting line on the smaller spinnaker, which was twisted for some reason. We got a lot done and the cabin got cleaned too. Along with this was some mooring entertainment from a ketch called, Faith. They wanted to go to shore but were informed it was Sunday and they would have to pay a $79 check in fee. Their choice was to pick up a mooring ball close to us and wait until tomorrow to check in. They called for help when the owner could not pick up the heavy mooring ball line or they weren't close enough to grab it. They called for the port security to send help. Booby Cay, a small work boat, came to their rescue just as they tangled the mooring line in their prop. The owner sent the wife into the water but she could not handle it. Then he got in the water with snorkel gear and a dive tank from Booby Cay. Apparently, they eventually disengaged and with help, secured a line to the mooring ball. It was difficult to watch but we did. I'm sure they sailed all night for multiple days and were tired as we were. The wife broke quarantine and took a kayak to shore this afternoon, we aren't sure if she's coming back. Early after lunch we took the dinghy to shore. The motor is working perfectly. We did the usual Burger King run for their 2 for $5 special lunch and the free wifi. We had a rest when we got back to the boat. Then took the dinghy and our snorkel gear to one of the dive mooring balls, not far from our boat. It was fabulous viewing - crystal clear with huge coral structures and a bunch of smaller fish. My mask kept leaking salt water, so we didn't stay too long. Took showers and stretched out on the deck to dry. Also, went thru the storage bags under our cabin bed and found a good assortment of new clothes. Also, Mark found my new full face snorkel mask. So, I will be ready to do some more snorkeling. Just like Christmas!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015