s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Stunning Pacific Anchorage

05 January 2018 | Bahia Arenas
Helen
Just after midnight, the wind was gusty and peaked at 27 knots at one point forcing Mark to add a second reef in the dark with the help of the deck light. We sailed in smaller waves with a deep reefed main and jib. We were making speeds up 9 knots. It did feel like we were flying. We saw some lights on shore and several navigation lights but no boats. One freighter passed us in the shipping lane and then stopped and we passed it later in the night. Today as the wind died down the double reef was removed and we rode the Pacific swells that were large at times but well spaced and gentle to ride. Then with very light winds, we started motoring one engine with full main and jib flying. The winds stayed light all day. At times it was non-existent so we furled the jib. Took turns napping. Then the wind stayed around 8-10 knots so we stopped the engine. That didn't last long. Ended up running the starboard engine with the full sails but our speed was maybe 5 knots. There must have been some current against us. It was a struggle to make our expected speed. Mark checked the charts and coming up was Bahia Arenas with a couple of anchorages. We cut the corner thru a set of islands just offshore and eventually selected the second and more protected anchorage. The views are spectacular. The green hills mixed with rock were stunning. Then our first great Pacific sunset was seen after we anchored, snorkeled and showered. The sun literally sunk on a huge rock just offshore. I did take pictures so once we get to some wifi coverage, we will post them. Again the sky was littered with clouds all day long. We had a couple of light showers along the way. Good decision to stop. We had a visit from two young native fishermen who tried to sell us a small lobster. We are not huge seafood eaters, so we declined. We can see a few lights on the other side of the bay. We ate dinner outside in the cockpit with the cabin doors closed in case we get inundated with bugs. Did not see any bugs, thankfully. Took one of our cockpit cushions up on deck because it's the first time in a long time that we can see the stars. It's so dark that they stars look extra bright and shiny. There is a bit of cloud cover but it was an amazing site to see. Mark is finally getting to have some coffee. The boat has been so rocky and hot lately. Tonight, we have a cool breeze coming in our hatches. Should be a good temperature for sleeping. We are both exhausted. Tried to get our Tep wifi to work, but there is no coverage in this area. Would love to show you the beautiful scenery around here. Huge green mountains of all sizes and shapes with rock faces that look like someone's home. Once we download the weather we will decide if we continue our long sail to Mexico.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015