s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Got some wind so we are sailing!

09 January 2018 | Pacific Ocean off Costa Rica - heading to Papagayo
Helen
Tried to get scores from our Tep wifi last night. The service does not work well for each of the 24 hours of coverage. We have to be close to a cell tower for it to work. We have our satellite messenger onboard and that works well. Spent the morning using our satellite messaging system to communicate with Tep technical department. We had not given them any feedback on their 3g system. We paid for 4g but they told us it would not work in Panama. So, they shipped out a loaner 3g and told us we had to pay for it in order to use it. However, our service with 3 hours left, was useless as we had used up the max amount of data. We were able to make a few calls so that may have done it. The emails I composed are waiting for the next time we get wifi to send. Could not receive or send mails with their expensive service. Had lunch and observed the wind picking up from not much and ocean swells to 6 knots or so. Hauled anchor at 12:30 and motored away from the anchorage. We were putting up the main sail when a local boat with several women onboard came close by. They waved and were cheering us on before turning around and heading back to shore. Motor sailed around the tip of the peninsula which turned into Costa Rica. Then were able to turn off the engines and sail. We had good winds to 13 knots with full sails we were making speeds of 6 knots. Then it was up and down at times but still able to sail. Yeah! We kept seeing rain in the distance but by the time we got close, it had dissipated or moved out of our path. The sun has been shining all day. There was some lightning but far off. The sea had a bit of chop with waves 2-4 foots hitting us n the port forward bow. We are being pushed off course now with the wind dying down. We got to see many dolphins playing in our bow wake...one dolphin in particular had something white hanging down on each side. It turned out to be two fish hanging on. The dolphins move very fast so we were wondering how that was possible. Took some pictures and videos, but not sure if this particular dolphin was part of them. The sun is already thinking about setting. The cloud covered skies are reflecting some color. We'll see if we get some more wind before this night is over. We are planning to spend 2-3 days on our route to the furthest marina in north Costa Rica. Unless of course, the winds pick up.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015