s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Successful Crossing thru the Gulf of Tehuantepec (Two Pack)!

05 February 2018 | Pacific Ocean off Mexico, heading north
Helen/Mark
Did some star gazing last night after a spectacular sun set. We were still cutting across the 'Tu-pec' bay which is over 150 miles across. The cold fronts head south and that air funnels thru Mexico between some mountains passes and out into this bay. Normally, the winds are high and the seas are rough. All the boats heading north, waited for this weather window. We saw wind speeds of 20 knots overnight and had a fabulous sail, making speeds over 7 knots. Then by morning, the winds died down to the point where we had to furl the jib and start the motor. We stayed up late to hear the scores on the SuperBowl game. Thanks to Jim, Bill and Andrew for sending us the scores via satellite. We took turns on the helm through out the night and then had the opportunity to take nap times today. The Pacific Ocean was pretty tranquil. We have under 10 miles to go to the tip of the Gulf. Then we will turn north and west up the coast. We may make a stop or two before we get to Puerto Vallarta. Our day light was filled with flat ocean waters and light winds to the point that we furled the jib. Then the wind changed directions and we were able to unfurl the jib and motor sail. We made better speed today, unlike yesterday's current that was against us, slowing us down. We enjoyed an afternoon shower on the port steps. Sat out on deck to dry off. Then we were able to view the mountainous coast line. We tried our Mexican phone and were able to make some calls. How cool is that? We were about 10 miles offshore and had coverage. I tested out a new cleaner for the salon windows. Will try cleaning the other side tomorrow before the sun gets high. We can now see lights on shore as we approach our mark. Dinner was one of the meals that I pre-cooked and still yummy! We saw several huge turtles in the water. Also saw dolphins jumping clear out of the water. Other dolphins just like to swim in our bow wake. There are also many different types of sea birds, some flying high while others are soaring so very close to the water. We saw green today at sunset, as the sun dipped into the blue Pacific waters. We are happy to be thru this part of the ocean and look forward to picking up some winds and being able to sail more. Mark did some research on possible anchorages along the way. He also played with our radar, setting guard zones and testing them. We saw a few fishing boats today, but none came anywhere close to us.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015