s/v Charabia

05 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
04 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
03 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
02 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
01 September 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
31 August 2019 | Fredericksburg, Virginia
31 August 2019 | Madison, Connecticut
29 August 2019 | Park Ridge, New Jersey
28 August 2019 | Annapolis, Maryland
28 August 2019 | Huddleton, Virginia
26 August 2019 | Charlotte, North Carolina
25 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
24 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
23 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
22 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
21 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
20 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
19 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
18 August 2019 | Jacksonville, Florida
17 August 2019 | Fairmont, West Virginia

Whale Sighting!

09 February 2018 | Pacific Ocean off Mexico, heading north to Puerto Vallarta
Helen/Mark
How nice to have over 8 hours of restful sleeping last night! There was a big of motion at our slip in the Acapulco Yacht Club marina. The dock construction was still going strong. They had added more lengths of boards connecting the shore to the fuel pump area, just where we were docked. Mark worked on some maintenance to do with our steering squeaky noisy, lubricating several components. No more squeaking. He also did the engine pre-checks for heading out and cleaned contacts on the wind instrument which had failed coming into Acapulco. I did some cleaning. The dock snubber is black rubber, which had marked up our outer hull. We arranged to meet up with Sheri and Lara. Had a lovely meal at the yacht club restaurant. Visited the marine shop and then headed back to the boat. The marina worker was kind enough to pass us our dock lines as we backed out of our slip. I steered thru the anchorage to the channel, as Mark collected the fenders and lines and stored them away in the anchor locker. We hoisted the main sail just outside the entrance, similar to what we did last night on Sheri's sailboat. We passed by all the beautiful houses way up high and looking out to the Pacific Ocean. There were no cliff divers when we passed by today. We stayed close to shore but the winds were not favorable for sailing. Headed closer to shore but still we can only motor/sail. The shoreline since Acapulco has been a lengthy beach with many houses, condos and resorts. In back we can see tall palm trees and then many miles further, there are high mountains. The waves are really crashing into shore in places as the wind and waves are coming from our port side, which is from deeper ocean waters. Inside the cabin was very hot, over 90 degrees, so we finally took a shower off the back steps. That really cooled us off. We found time to take turns resting along the way. We enjoyed the lunch leftovers for dinner tonight. Just as we finished, Mark noticed a blow hole close to shore. It was a group of four whales heading south. Took some pictures and videos. My pictures were questionable as I was at the helm and the boat was bouncing. Still we both had the cameras going and caught bits and pieces of the whales. I thought they were quite small in size. Our plan is to do an overnight sail and see where we end up. We will find one of the anchorages to stop at tomorrow night. Since we are not making much speed, we are asking for the weather gods to be kind and supply us with some sailing winds and less current against us. The sun is just setting on another beautiful day in Paradise.
Comments
Vessel Name: Charabia
Vessel Make/Model: Fountaine Pajot / Athena
Hailing Port: Jacksonville, FL
Crew: Mark &Helen
About:
We are both computer folks that were live aboard cruisers back in the 90s. We settled in Jacksonville Florida after escaping the great white north and cruising the Bahamas, T&C, DR and points south down to Trinidad. [...]
Extra: Charabia is a French slang word for nonsense or gibberish. It derives from Arabic "sharab" which means alcohol.When you drink (too much) alcohol, you start talking Charabia. The original owners named her and Mark liked the name so it stuck.
Charabia's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 20 of 20
1
 
1
Nov 2017 trip south from Jacksonville
9 Photos
Created 23 August 2018
Upgrades and maintenance to Charabia
79 Photos
Created 27 June 2017
72 Photos
Created 16 May 2015
46 Photos
Created 15 May 2015
72 Photos
Created 7 April 2015
95 Photos
Created 4 April 2015
106 Photos
Created 31 March 2015
Get the boat ready to cruise.
10 Photos
Created 14 March 2015