Charmar - 2008 Cairns - Darwin - Indonesia - Singapore -Malaysia, South China Sea, Borneo, Brunei, KK, Kudat, Miri, Singapore, Puteri, Langkawi.......

For more photos go to the Photo Gallery and East Malaysian Rally Album

11 October 2016 | Rebak, Telaga, Langkawi
27 July 2016 | Rebak, Telaga, Langkawi
03 April 2016 | Rebak
03 January 2016
31 December 2015
30 December 2015
29 December 2015
28 December 2015 | Koh Lipe - Diving Day
27 December 2015 | Koh Lipe - Sunset beach
26 December 2015 | Koh Lipe
25 December 2015 | Rebak
22 December 2015 | Langkawi - touring around
22 December 2015 | Langkawi by Ski
21 December 2015 | Telaga
20 December 2015 | Telaga Harbour
18 December 2015 | Rebak
12 December 2015 | Rebak
07 November 2015 | Rebak Marina and Boat Yard
20 April 2015 | Langkawi - west Malaysia just a few miles from Thailand

The Equal and Opposite Reaction Factor

14 September 2008 | Palau Nangka
Chris White
From yesterday's blog you would know that we were in ideal sailing conditions through the previous night, comfortable, speeds of 11, 10, 9 knots consistently, running at about twice the speed we had planned for the passage, beautiful moonlit night, flat seas - oh how idyllic it is to sail in these conditions!!

But the Ocean is a hard taskmaster and as we near the equator and the opportunity to meet King Neptune himself he takes the opportunity to remind us it is not always like this! Coming into yesterday morning the wind continues to whip up, the seas get lumpy, and wind gets "harder" - not that the wind strength is a problem but it is 'hard wind' - rain squalls and lightning appear in the distance to the east and to the west.. As we contact the vessel travelling with us, and they started at midnight so are a fair distance behind as we expected them to catch us we find that they have been through two squalls with high winds and rough conditions.

We see squalls up ahead so we put a reef in the main, we get the squalls, it blows a bit but not excessively only about 25's, but it comes from the front and the conditions deteriorate so we furl the genoa and set the staysail - a smaller headsail. I get the lens knocked out of my prescription sunglasses in the process, of course it disappears quickly! We sail on, our companions are no longer catching us. They get rain, we get the deteriorating conditions.

Yesterday was grey and miserable and not a comfortable sail.

As we go into nightfall we plan and replan our destinations and waypoints to get to an anchorage and tucked in safely for the next morning - Sunday morning.

Early evening although it is very dark out because of the cloud we can see a black, very black, very very black area on the horizon that reflects black on the water in the light of lightning flashes. We see it on the radar, a large rain squall - it is a rain or rain and wind squall? We keep our reduced sail but try to sail around the west of it as it bares down on us, and we were sailling towards the centre of it. It catches us of course and rains, and rains and rains - torrential. The decks needed a flush with fresh water, this is the first good fresh water wash since Darwin marina! We sail up and down in it almost hove to at times, fortunately the wind in it is only about 10 knots. It is dark, very very dark, about as dark as being inside a cow's belly! We detect a track out and sail, motor out the back of the squall - we let our companions know as it is heading directly in their direction about 20 miles down the track, they are wresting with the conditions and a young family and some seasickness on board.

We agree our next destination to be our original planned destination but we are almost a day in front of our planned arrival in daylight hours, by sailing very slowly (which is sometimes easy) we will get to it by daylight but not too much earlier. Our companions will travel just a bit faster and catch us. We leave all reefs in and just the small headsail, the wind has dropped - since we entered the squall - and the seas are now flat and comfortable so it is quite comfortable just dribbling along with a light breeze and calm seas. We make some water for a couple of hours running one engine to keep on track in the now fluky breeze.

Towards sunrise we are proceeding towards our anchorage, we would not attempt to go into without daylight and we are just a little concerned that there may not be enough light. We see our companions right back in the distance, so now we have visual contact. The anchorage is inside an extensive reef on a small island in about 25 metres so is quite a deep anchorage. The anchorage bay does not show on the charts electronic or otherwise! With the chart offsets here, even with known waypoints, we would not go in without the greatest navigation aid known to man - a good eye and sound visibility!

C�st bon! we see a boat leaving, a yacht, it is good. We call them up and they have anchored there overnight so they give us some tips on entry and where to anchor and we bid each other well. We try to raise our companions on the radio as they speak fluent french (they are from France after all!) and would have been able to communicate easier but we cannot raise them. This is a bonus that we have further waypoints!

We see a local boat go in fishing, another bonus, we go in from the north and enter a channel through the coral reefs which are quite visible now. We motor on seeking a reasonable anchoring spot and end up almost back out the other end of the channel almost where the French boat indicated they were anchored.

Our companions come in the other end of the channel, at our now expert advice, we were in there and could see the reefs clearly now!!!

They anchored nearby and it was clean up time, pancake time and for a well needed sleep for a few hours!!! Into the hammock I go.

In summary we did this passage in eight hours less than predicted as a conservative estimate, we had winds of up to 25 knots which is is not bad but tough sea conditions, we had mostly favourable currents, we had boat speeds of up to 11.3 knots which is good, we had calms - our average for the passage came to 5.63 knots - a slow passage but in some ways a quick passage! Yes your right that is confusing - just like the seas were confused. We had some great rain squalls. We had fantastic lightning shows, (we had no lightning strikes - a statistic we like to keep!).

I think maybe we will have a day or two here before we press on, the next leg is a fairly long one also and it would be good if the weather stabilised a little first.

As for the area, just beautiful, a couple of local fishing boats plying the waters - heh but everywhere there is salt water in Indonesia there is a few or a few thousand boats fishing it it.

There is small island looks like a cay covered in coconuts a short distance across - about three times as big as Green Island, there is a small rocky islet adjacent to our anchorage surrounded by reef, there is plenty of reef - the island is high sided but not mountainous, lovely sandy beaches, can't see a village but there could be one - there usually is. Imagine the Whitsundays a thousand times bigger with every island and outcrop having villages and settlements!

The ocean is a hard taskmaster at times and for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction - just when you might start thinking you have found the perfect sailing area there is a reminder that it can give you a serve as well!
Comments
Vessel Name: Charmar
Vessel Make/Model: Crowther Design 85
Hailing Port: Cairns Australia
Crew: Chris and Dianne White
About: Chris and Dianne, along with Aidan (now a Yachtmaster), Kirsty and Lachlan have sailed Charmar predominately around the east coast of Australia and through Indonesia to Malaysia - although she has been to Lord Howe and through Indonesia to Singapore and Malaysia
Extra:
Dianne and Chris have been sailing through Indonesia with the Sail Indonesia Rally to Malaysia, Borneo, Back to Singapore, to Langkawi and Rebak VZN6971:: HAM VK4VCW:: SAILMAIL - vzn6971@sailmail.com:: LAND EMAIL - white@pixie.com.au:: Skype: VZN6971:: SatPhone: 0011 8816 4140 [...]
Charmar's Photos - Main
Photos 1 to 18 of 18
1
Charmar original
Charmar at Dunk
Charmar at Dunk Island
Charmar at Dunk
Charmar at Dunk
Charmar alone
Charmar amongs others at Lizard - Port to Lizard in October event
Dinner on board Charmar
Charmar at Dunk
Charmar with Lachie at the Helm
Earle White at the helm of Charmar
 
1
In and around Langkawi and Koh Lipe Thailand
17 Photos
Created 9 January 2016
Photos from the top east of the East Malaysia Rally - Sarawak, Brunei on
52 Photos
Created 30 July 2009
Photos taken on and from the East Malaysia Rally - second part South China Sea to KK
93 Photos
Created 1 July 2009
These are photos taken from the East Malaysia Rally in May to August 2009
118 Photos
Created 12 June 2009
A few of the shots from Indonesia - stand by for more when we get to an internet connection
105 Photos
Created 17 August 2008
Some photos of the Cairns to Darwin leg of the trip
48 Photos
Created 16 June 2008
From Sabot Sailor to Professional Yachtmaster our family have all enjoyed aspects of Sailing
18 Photos
Created 24 April 2008
Whales, Animals, Underwater
10 Photos
Created 24 April 2008
Sometimes we catch a meal sometimes we don't!
4 Photos
Created 24 April 2008
Birthdays, celebrations, visitors etc
22 Photos
Created 24 April 2008
This album has some anchorages and places visited
4 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 23 April 2008

Charmar - 2008 Cairns Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, South China Sea, Borneo, Singapore, Puteri, L

Who: Chris and Dianne White
Port: Cairns Australia

Where are we?

Charmar prefers Transas Navigator a PC based integrated navigation/charting/plotting and planning system of Commercial Quality including AIS, tides, weather for safety and navigation For "Sea Spanners" Transas Navigator, The Wind Wheel or Laser Dinghies go to www.pixie.com.au For migration to Australia or visa go www.migrationplus.com.au PREDICT WIND can HELP YOU go to: http://forecast.predictwind.com/r/f686abe78c
Charmar:: Land Email: white@pixie.com.au;; Radio: VZN6971:: Ham: VK4VCW:: SAILMAIL: vzn6971@sailmail.com:: Skype: VZN6971:: SatPhone: 0011 8816 414 03960:: Aust Mobile: 0418 772 601/0428772601