Bookmark and Share
Charmar - 2008 Cairns - Darwin - Indonesia - Singapore -Malaysia, South China Sea, Borneo, Brunei, KK, Kudat, Miri, Singapore, Puteri, Langkawi.......
For more photos go to the Photo Gallery and East Malaysian Rally Album
tioman Is Wedding

As we hadn't used the water maker for a few days I needed to flush the filters etc and charge to boats batteries. There was a wedding on today and everyone one invited, about midday we headed up the street to have a look at the celebrations where we were beckoned to come in. There was an official table set up like at our weddings and a couch decorated where the couple would sit and watch some performances such as martial arts. Lunch was being served for the guests and we were given plates and told to help ourselves. No sign of the bride and we asked where they were, the bride was still inside the house and the groom would be arriving at 3.00pm when the actual ceremony would start and they would eat at their table. After we had eaten we went up to the brides parents and gave our best wishes; our acquaintance Kapt Hun suggested we come back around three. Kapt hun spoke good English and spent time in UK doing his engineering degree. Chris called around 1300 to say he was on the way out of Singapore and would I find out about ferry times from Mersing. I walked up to the wharf to find that the last ferry was 1700 and the next would be 0730 the next morning, looked like he would have to overnight in Mersing. Chris suggested that I come over to Mersing and have the night with him there. I caught the 4.30 island time ferry which finally got away at 6.00pm arriving in Mersing at 8.00.
Neil and Pauline entertained Capt Hun on board for a few hours and then all went up to Zali's restaurant for dnner finishing up quite late around 11.00pm too tired to go back to the wedding for karaoke which was still going at 3.00am next morning!

Tioman Is Rock Climbing
02/06/2009, Palau Tulai

Without our skipper around to crack the whip we seem to be late risers the past few mornings. I wake at day break (around 5.30) and get a couple of hours of reading in.
Today we decided to walk to the southern end of Tekek Village along the beach front so that we could cool off along the way if it became too hot. Two thirds of the way we had to rock climb to continue, if we didn't have cameras and phones with us we could have swam around this obstacle. Some of the rocks were huge and it became quite challenging in parts especially for petite Pauline, another phobia (heights) conquered. There looked to be a path up to the road which I went ahead to see if it was negotiable and all seemed good until I reached the road where the Jungle was very dense and full of "wait a while" vines.
Finally at our destination and into the sea to cool off. It was a very low tide and we could see why we had cold spots when swimming there a few days ago as there were several streams coming out from the mountainous jungle and this water was icy cold.
Revived and refreshed we continued along past the lush golf course and prestigious clubhouse as far as we could go ending up at the dive centre. We walked back through the extensive Bejaya resort , we noticed the room numbers were in the 400's. Stopped for a lemon ice tea at a chinese beachfront cafe before tackling the searing hot, tar melting road over the hill back into the main village street. We were amazed that it was 2.00pm already and feeling a little empty after our morning activity stopped at the Shady Bakery for a pizza and fresh blueberry donuts. Pauline and Neil discovered the donuts the previous day and we were hooked!
In the evening we invited Razz off Panthalassa, to join us for dinner at our restaurant. Razz had been back for a couple of days to Kuala Lumpar while Des took the gearbox for repairs back to Aussie. The restaurant was extremely busy with locals and mainlanders on holiday being the start of two weeks school holidays. One large group of about 30, had been eating there the past few nights and were celebrating one of the girls birthdays. The teenage girls about 16 were dressed it their finery and looked lovely. We joined in the "Happy Birthday" and our efforts were rewarded with some birthday cake.

07/06/2009 | Sue Scott
papa you look so good on your scooter ;)
Singapore - the wanderer
02/06/2009, Singapore

Well by boat, wait, walk and wait and then by bus to Larcom Terminal at Johor Baru and quickly onto another Bus for Singapore, off the bus at the Causeway to clear out of Malaysia, on the bus to the other end of the causeway, off the bus to clear into Singapore and back onto the bus to head into the terminal "just around the corner" from Bugis Street. Great finally here maybe about 2000 hours on Saturday night but I want to find and check out Raffles marina and Chandlery so I can make a quick start in the morning being Sunday. So I hit the MRT with bag in tow which contains a heavy hydraulic ram and gear, a water pump, an alternator and a very small bag of a change of clothes for a night or maybe two. Now it turns out Raffles Marina is right back next to the Causeway I had come across about an hour ago on the Western Side of the Island and a fair taxi ride from the end of the MRT (train system). So I get there, suss the place out, find out that yes the chandlery does open on Sundays as I figure they can give me some leads on where to get things done, and then getting weary after dragging the bag all day and think about sleeping on a park bench at Raffles, but being Singapore thought the consequences may not be attractive so head back down the Raffles Marina ( now this IS a world class marina!!!) grand entrance when the trusty bag gives up the ghost and blows a wheel, in fact shatters it. So here I go skull dragging the bag down the road on one wheel and a broken stump! The gateman tells me I can catch a bus so I head to the bus stop, catch the bus to Boon Loy MRT and head back to Little India to find a cheap room knowing that I will have but a few hours to put in there. Skull drag the bag to Fragrance Backpackers - very clean very reasonable but they are doing their night audit and it takes about half an hour to check in. Then head down to Mustafa all night shopping to buy a bag or bag trolley (which is what I ended up with as skull dragging the bag is not much fun!). A bit after 0200 hit the pillow and up before 6 to head back to the Marina. Called the Marine Diesel Nanni Agent on Sunday morning, and yes they will even talk to you on Sunday's up here and arrange to meet early on Monday morning. Head to Raffles and fortunately could buy an electric water pump and other stuff there which was all good. Research Wagner for Rams and seals and other suppliers ready for the Monday onslaught and finish up around 2300 - decide to do a hotel to catch up on some sleep and internet as Lloyds behinc Orchard Road I knew had a Internet Hotspot. Turn in around 11.30 and head off at 0530 on Monday to Marine Diesel. YES they can do the pump AND the RAM and are great people to deal with, most helpful and friendly (of course our diesels are toys to what they normally deal with!!), take the alternator to Dieseltech where they test it and find it not producing and will get back to me later in the day whether it can be repaired or cheaper to replace. They do call back and pronounce it dead and will see if they can find a replacement, joy of joy they do as their none available in Australia! Back to Marine Diesel to see how they are going with pump and Ram, they have dismantled both and diagnosed and can repair both! Back to Dieseltech and get the new Alternator, they take me to the MRT and I go to coffee shop with internet access and do some research and work. Head back to another night in the backpackers as it will be after midnight again.
Tuesday mor ning, not much need to rush as I have been told the seal for the ram will not be available until Wednesday morning. Ok sounds like a good time to sort out a little issue with Telstra as I have acquired a Malaysian Sim for my wireless broadband and found that my modem is locked to only Telstra Sims. Thanks Telstra. Anyway this should take about ten minutes on the phone. Ha! Ha, ha ha, whatever takes ten minutes with Telstra. Anyway as the morning wore on and I had spent 2.5 HOURS on the phone to Telstra and spoken to over 30 consultants (AND I was still calmQ!) I had been told by various Telstra experts that: you can't unlock modems, talk to Bigpond (it actually has nothing to do with them as it is a Telstra Modem!); we can only do it with prepaid modems, they aren't locked, it is impossible to unlock them, there is an unlock fee of $100, we don't do it, talk to the "unlock people at prepaid" and they just kept telling me they would refer me to the appropriate section but just put me back in the queue on the standard enquiry line. Anyway when I had decided I hated TELSTRA with a passion the phone was answered by a guy who apologised and offered to help, NOW that was a refreshing start to progress AND he did. He asked me to wait two minutes, well I didn't mind that after being on the phone for 2.5 hours and then he came back and said he had been put onto the wrong section (surprise surprise) but if I would wait another two minutes he would track down the appropriate section AND HE DID and he stayed on and introduced me to the far away lady who could fix it AND she DID in just two minutes and we tested it and it worked! And he stayed on and she left and we all parted company. Thank heavens for Skype - Imagine what it would have cost if I was on a Telstra mobile call from overseas may be $300 to $400 for the call alone. Imagine what happens to people who believe the TELSTRA BULLSHIT that you can't do this or you can't do that and nothing happens. What gross incompetence exists in this organisation but I was just lucky enough to find the only one person in Telstra who actually was prepared to help a customer!! I was on the verge of going out to buy another modem but I just knew it could be done - just the Telstra experts didn't.
After that it was off to Boon Lay by foot, MRT and then by cab to see how things were progressing with the pumps, water pump done and ram awaiting the seal, all good. I even managed to get lunch in - it is hard to be in Singapore and not enjoy the food.
Back to Joon then to Boon Lay to settle into Starbucks for internet access for the afternoon to catch up on a few things and email etc etc. Starbucks is great for internet, yesterday I spent some hours in another coffee shop in the centre with wi-fi.
Back to Boojis Street to get back to accomm. Now about 11.45 and Caroline has an 0800 appointment for me on Skype so better go and shower and off to bed.
Hopefully tomorrow after picking up a spare pump impeller from , affles marina, I guess an advantage of being delayed as they didn't have one on Sunday but will have by tomorrow pm, I will have pumps, ram , new alternator, a very heavy bag and be ready to hit the road back to Mersing and Tioman. Let's see what happens!

02/06/2009 | steven cheng
Hi Chris and Dianne, seem you all are having all the fun. Enjoy reading your blog.
03/06/2009 | Rachelle Scott
Oh Chris, I feel like crying after reading that. It maybe cold comfort but my prayers are with you. what an ordeal!!
07/06/2009 | Sue Scott
OMG what a mission... ;)xxx
Tioman Is still here

Time seems to just disappear even in "island time" mode. Got the sewing machine out for a few repairs and replaced a couple of fender covers. Neil and Pauline went up town to replenish the liquid amber supplies and tonic stocks for the girls' gins. I was given a lift in a sidecar by our delivery chap to the airport to make enquiries for Chris, no helmets needed here. Chris seems to be having more luck today after a harrowing start buying phones and getting internet access and money to pay for it all. Hopefully all going well he may be able to fly from Singapore direct to the island here tomorrow.

07/06/2009 | Colleen & Geoff
I'm glad to see that Neil and Pauline are running true to form by keeping the liquid amber supplies and tonic stocks up!!! You guys sounds like you are having a fantastic time - we are so envious and wish we were there!! Keep travelling safe xxx
Tioman Is relaxing for some

Another day in paradise for us 3 left caretaking Charmar while Chris chases his tail in Singapore not progressing much as it is Sunday and another casualty adds to the list, my phone, which Chris has with him, dies. Rather a warm day here we stroll to the beach for a swim and a snorkel and dine at the usual spot, not much chance of weight loss at this rate!

Have many great photos but need the skipper back to attach will do so upon his return!

Tioman Is Chris gone walkabout

Another early start for Chris to catch the ferry to the mainland, Mersing. All four broken parts were quite a weight, thank goodness for the wheelie bag. Chris didn't have much luck at Mersing and decided to catch a bus to Singapore, arriving around 8.00pm. where he caught a train and bus to Raffles Marina so see what he could find out. Upon arrival there his bag had a blow out and lost a wheel making it very difficult to drag along especially with his injured right arm. Chris found a chandlery but no accommodation nearby and traipsed back by bus and train to Mustafa being the 24hour shopping area known as "Little India" where he was able to buy a luggage trolley for the bag and a backpackers to get some sleep for what was left of the night as it was 2.00am!

Back at the Marina Neil and Pauline scrubbed the decks and tidied the back deck. I filled the water tanks, vacuumed, defrosted 12volt freezer and bailed the dinghy as each day we get a good rain storm which freshens the air. We all spent some time at the internet café catching up on emails etc.

Not wanting to go to a new restaurant without Chris we enjoyed another sumptuous meal at our favourite restaurant an now were building up a good rapport with the owner and staff. It is very interesting observing the families and locals that come in to eat. We have our freezer full of frozen meat but that can wait for when we are at places without restaurants and the food is so cheap, tastes fantastic, it is not worth cooking ourselves.

Tioman Is Jungle Trek
29/05/2009, Tekek Village


Our marina berth at the Village Tekek has a magnificent backdrop of mountainous jungle and we've been told of the Village Juara on the other side which can be reached by sea, 4WD or a trek through the jungle. We decided to rise to the challenge of the trek and attempted an early start at 7.00am, heading off at 7.40 we're in "island Time" mode. Just before the track into the jungle we came across monkeys foraging at the roadside but decided to keep our nuts in case we came across some higher up in the jungle.

The path was mainly stepped, winding upwards through dense, steamy and humid jungle; our "Red Arrow" training the past few months paid off. Despite it being reasonably cool we were all lathered in perspiration and taunted by the sound of fast running water which we didn't get to see until nearly at the top 1 hour into our journey. Access to the water was fenced off, signs indicating no swimming, fishing, etc as it is the water supply for our village below which now having seen how natural and clean it is we would fill our water tanks upon return. The jungle was similar to our rainforest around Cairns but denser with enormous, spectacular trees. Numerous bird noises could be heard and some sounded like the Torres Strait Pigeons but none were visual. We managed to spy a couple of monkeys off in the distance, our nuts and calls weren't enough to entice them closer. A red snake tail was trailing out of the hollow of a fallen log which we thought must be dead until Chris bent down to pick up a stick nearby and it slithered disappearing further into the hollow.

At the top coming out of the jungle to a steep concrete road virtually straight down, quite a contrast to the jungle climb and a bit tough on the knees and toes! Another hour and we arrived at the bottom to a small windy seaside village that we wandered through, Neil and Pauline spotting large monitor lizards while Chris and I were doing battle opening a coconut. A local chap renovating a timber beach cottage proudly invited us in to see his handy work, he spoke good English and had a great sense of humour laughing at me when I offered him a piece of coconut I was eating.

Taking the easy way back we rode in air conditioned comfort of a 4 wheel drive and had a pleasant 25 minute windy steep drive back to the marina, although our driver was quite young he drove very carefully.

Time to prepare for departure the next day, Pauline & I did the washing, Neil go up town to top up the food supplies and Chris attempted to jockey a new impeller in the broken water pump without success. When I went down the port engine room I noticed oily fluid on the shelf which turned out that the steering hydraulic ram seal had blown. Chris set about removing the ram, the starboard engine water pump which had started a slow drip, and the alternator which wasn't functioning!

We decided to have dinner again at our favourite restaurant, it will take a few more nights of dining for us to work our way through the entire menu!

Tioman Is Activities
28/05/2009, Tioman Is continued

Early start this morning to be on the beach by 8.30am to join in fun activities with the locals. A good number of boaties turned up for the fun. It all started with sack races, bowling coconuts, dart blowing, fishing bottles (fishing pole with string and nail attached, one had to get the nail in the bottled filled with sand and pick the bottle up by the nail and run to the rely member at the other end without dropping the bottle off the line on the way) bamboo pole raft race and finishing with musical chairs. Lots of laughs and fun had by all finishing up about midday.

Feeling a bit peckish after all the activity we stopped at the Bakery for a yummy pizza for lunch.

It was perfect conditions for an afternoon of snorkeling where we first went to the fish feeding wharf and snorkeled with hundreds of fish feeding them bread underwater. We were mobbed by hundreds of different fish ranging in size from small, pan size and bigger getting our fingers nibbled as well. Amazing parrot fish so many different vibrant coloured ones especially the deep purple ones.

From there a half hour dinghy trip in the opposite direction to a small island surrounded in coral and an abundance of various fish including small reef sharks, again crystal clear water with superb visability. Pauline finally comfortable with her mask and snorkel after changing to a non leaking snorkel amazed herself by snorkelling right around the island enjoying all the marine life. There were many different fish species with an average amount of coloured corals.

Having taken food out of the freezer a couple of days ago we decided it was time to eat on board. Our superb chef cooked us up a treat!

Tioman Is Exploring
27/05/2009, Tioman Is updated

A morning back in the office for Chris spent in the airconditioned internet cafe answering many work related queries while crew melted back at the boat! In the afternoon we hired scooters and toured what we could of the short roads on the island, the villages are not connected by road. Our first stop was the beach to cool off in the extremely warm crystal clear waters gravitating to the "cold spots" how different from our normal swims in Oz seeking out the "warm spots"! Next we visited the Marine Park headquarters, a huge prestigous building surrounded by lush tropical gardens, with displays and awareness information posters for the need to protect the marine environment. Looking for a tradtional Malay favourite of our "iced cakang" without success we settled on trying a dish called "rojac" which was a mixture of tofu, veges and donut covered in a very flavoursome sauce.

At 5.00pm there was a civic reception with short welcoming speeches followed by snacks consisting of glass noodles, curry puffs and grren coconut cakes. The group en mass flowed up the street and we all settled in at the chinese restaurant to consume ice cold beers and tell taller tales!

The four of us along with Dave and Joanne from Pied A Mer heading back to the marina decided to stop at a restaurant for a top up in the food department. Six dishes were selected for us to share and hit the spot perfectly each dish very tasty and flavoursome.

Cats, cats and more cats are everywhere, wandering through the restaurant, jumping up on tables to eat left overs and would have liked to rub around our legs for affection but there was not much chance of that! No sign of rats here or dogs.

Tioman Island 1st night
Chris and Dianne
26/05/2009, Tioman

From Tinggi Island we started a slow and leisurely sail to Tioman Island a renowned and beautiful spot and a marine park. The day started slowly motoring and uneventful and we had about a five to six hour trip planned. Mostly motor sailing we were doing ok and making water etc as we went. Approaching Tioman a very steep and 3500 feet high peak island of jungle we were catching three or four boats that we knew and there were signs of a tropical storm and rain coming through in the last couple of hours of our approach. We had passed a couple of trawlers who proudly showed off their catch.

Then whammy the breeze swung around and we had lightning and thunder to the north and the breeze backing around the clock and before we knew it we were right under a thunder storm in company with four other boats one of which was having gear box trouble and was under tow.

The tow was cast off as we milled around the storm intensified, flash- lightning, boom, thunder it was right overhead and a fork of lightning flashed down and hit the water very close to "Milliways" one of the boats near us. A voice boomed over the radio "we've been hit by lightning, all ok but have lost our navigation"! The thunder was deafening as the lightning flashed simultaneous with the boom, boom of thunder. Milliways was the boat that had been struck, they had lost all their instruments and radio, fortunately they had a hand held as a backup. We floundered around in the circling winds and driving bullets of enormous raindrops waiting for a little clearing.

Eventually it cleared and to cut the story short (due to the fact that it is 11.45pm just now) one of the boats that we knew accompanied Milliways into the marina and we towed Panthalassa, the boat with gearbox problems, to the marina entrance where waiting dinghies tied along side and guided it into the marina, fortunately we also were given a berth in the new marina which is now full, for the first time, with boats from the rally@!

Fellow boaties were heading up the street for a Seafood BBQ at 7.30pm which we participated and caught up with others from last years rally that had by passed Sebana Cove.

Some of the group opted for the chinses restaurant next door and about 12 of us had the fresh seafood bbq selecting our own fresh fish and squid from the selection available. Beers purchased at the duty free next door, sitting outside under the stars on a very comfortable balmy evening. Food and company excellent and enjoyed by all.

28/05/2009 | Ma
Love the 'Tower' Thks for that. Better with bourbon in it at nite though. Awesome storm, hope you got great pics. How's that hand coming along Chris? Goodluck with the climb. Can't wait to hear about it.
29/05/2009 | Mellonie
Love reading about your journey - it sounds amazing. I'd like to ask Polly how the snorkelling went? - a bit bigger than the spa pool I'd say!
Across to Tinggi Island
Chris White
25/05/2009, Tinggi Island

Interesting day as we launched the dinghy to go to Sibu, the winch handle slipped through my sweaty hands, YES I KNOW, I did this last year and got wacked on the nose, well this year not one wack but a series of wacks from the palm of my right hand right up to the elbow followed by massive swellling and bruising. Yes you are right a very slow learner, don't talk while launching the dinghy, keep the brake on and don't do it with sweaty palms! Anyway a pulverised right forearm and very cranky for being so stupid but these things to happen - even on the best of regulated ships.

So after icing it, pressure bandage and sling we set off across the island to another resort on foot which was most enjoyable and engaged in conversation with the English/Norweigan female owner of many years and a swiss traveller who would love to learn to sail. Back over to the bay and only 2 of 16 yachts left so we head off to Tinggi Island under genoa and one engine, it is just 12 nautical miles away. We go to the top of the Island where a number of other yachts are anchored in a crap anchorage so we go back to the western side of the island where the locals anchor and it is beautiful, flat and calm and we swim to the pretty beach, have a walk and snorkel and return for a delightful dinner and some pain removers in a glass to take down the swelling in the arm which work a treat.

Tomorrow off to Tioman Island - we seem to need a new alternator for the Starboard engine and water pump for the genset, hopefully we can get them there!

More tomorrow.

25/05/2009 | Rachelle
Hi everyone! Poor you Chris, it must be difficult typing the blogs. Take it easy!
27/05/2009 | Doucey
Know how you feel when you do things like that.
What I would like to see is Gran swimming!! Must of taken your mind off your hand!

All the best
Sibu Island
Chris White
24/05/2009, Pelau Sibu

Not an early start, but yes last night's anchorage was great with the sea calming off we had an onshore wind and rising tide and a very flat night. Today we started off at 0730 heading north once again destination unknown. A light following breeze encouraged us to put up the MPS or Spinnaker type sail which is always great in light breezes and we slid along quietly to the north on a flat sea and light breeze with a bit of fossil fuel support until we had enough wind to sail. As we travelled we had another couple of yachts on the horizon in front and ultimately four behind and a couple reasonably close.

The breeze piped in during the afternoon but we ran the starboard motor to produce a couple of hours of water and the breeze picked up to about 7- 8 knots and then to 10kn. We were coasting along nicely and eventually decided on Sibu Island for the night where we anchored in the top northern end with about 15 other yachts. Anchoring at about 1800 just enough time for a few sewing machine repairs to the MPS sock before heading to the beach to join our fellow ralliers at 1830 drinks and bickies and to swap a few tales.

There is a small resort here about 2.5 hours drive from Singapore and then of course a ferry trip across.

All in all a very pleasant day, a lovely place and warm balmy weather with storms over the land, bombing runs 20 mile offshore (defence force exercises) and a nice breeze tonight to keep it a bit cool.

25/05/2009 | Caroline Cheng
Hi there did you all sing karaoke at the resort? Just browsed to see where you are.
26/05/2009 | carolinecheng
Ouch Chris, sorry to hear about your right hand. Hope the beauty of Tioman Island will relax you - the lovely beaches were featured in the South Pacific and Bali Hai movies. Enjoy!
31/05/2009 | Sue Scott
This sounds so beautiful.. except you huring yourself;)
We Set Sail, well really we just motor off!!!!!
Chris White
23/05/2009, Teluk Penewar

At the time it was a great idea to go to the Pirates Bar at Sebana the night before we planned to leave! After all we were the only customers there when we arrived at 2030, and the band was ready to entertain us. We just had to try one of their unique Towers - two jugs in a tower with an ice tube in the middle and you pour your own. I had seen them before they are just "natty" but had never had enough company to buy one. You will have to wait a few more days for the photo but it will be put on this site at the next internet stopover. Well it was a great night! TWO towers later and the band singing our every request we danced and enjoyed the entertainment and managed to share it without about another four or five guests that came along.

BUT it did lead to a small postponement to our planned 0600, "at the latest" departure and at 0930 we slipped out lines at Sebana after another enjoyable stay there and motored off down the Mangrove Creek toward Johor Straits and Singapura. As the morning progressed we motored into the light breeze which stayed "right on the nose" all the way around the bottom of Malaysia as we made our way East and then came around inside a small island to start heading north, all the way dodging and avoiding the omnipresent fish nets and fishing buoys and boats. As we headed north we took advantage of the easterly breeze in the Genoa to squeeze an extra knot and started our way further north, further north than Charmar has been before.

We tracked along under one engine and sail for the greater part of the very pleasant day and decided at about 1500 to pull into a small bay to see if it would comfortable enough to anchor in for a sleep at least and the night at best. Well it was good, the wind swung from onshore to offshore not long after we anchored off, but the South China Sea does not carry swell in any event. A bit of a sleep and by then a rain squall over the land had sucked away the wind and it calmed off so now we are getting ready for dinner, cooked again by Neil, and hopefully a good night sleep for an EARLY start tomorrow to knock off about 40 miles to get to an Island anchorage further north.

Certainly we are blessed with gastronomic delights with Neil on board and his wonderful way with food.

It is good to be on the move again, although mostly motoring and unfortunately I think this is going to be typical of South China Sea but we will have to wait and see.

23/05/2009 | Robyn
Hi to the NZ's aboard. I guess they won't be missing the absolute freezing temps we have here at home. Happy & safe travelling to all.
23/05/2009 | Ma
Looking forward to seeing a pic of the 'tower'.
Rob's not joking about the temps. We wish we were all there with you. Especially with Scotty cooking. A trip of a life time. Enjoy and take heaps of photos. Happy sailing. LOL

Back to touring we headed off this morning by coach to a Tropical Fruit Farm which despite some scepticism was very interesting and with a great morning tea of fresh tropical and exotic fruit. Onto a Homestay Village for some culture and coffee and visitation and then a "little lunch" before we went on to "Bob's Homestay" further up on the water way towards Johor Baru and a delightful spot and would be an excellent play for a nice relaxing break. Witnessed a traditional wedding and then a magnificient lunch cooked by Bob's wife and helpers. A great spot that we will remember and it would be possible to anchor out the front. Ok onto a fisherman's museum which being a nautical crowd we all enjoyed before going onto the Desaru Golden Beach Hotel for afternoon and a glimpse of the South China Sea that we will sail on next week, maybe even anchor up here for a night before going back to Sebana for High Tea. Well FED indeed! and a very enjoyable day. Tomorrow is supply day and probably more monkey feeding - Dianne has her supply of groundnuts and the odd banana which sends them crazy! They are well behaved monkeys though, and the squirrels and an ant eater yesterday are all good to see.

22/05/2009 | Caroline Cheng
Hi there Chris and Dianne - hope the start of your wonderful journey is as smooth as the beautiful calm clear waters here at the moment - fantastic day weather - experiencing cold snaps though. Await your update soon!
Back to Sebana!
Chris White
16/05/2009, Sebana Cove

Well here we are back in Sebana Cove, it is quite warm and there is LOTS of cleaning to do. Since our last visit in February mould and green has taken over the sunny external sides of Charmar. A small fleet of birds have carried what must amount to several bales of nesting material on board and have found inside the main sail cover a great place to set up myriad nests!

Went a bought a small "Gerni" which is just great for the clean up and is restoring the outside to its former glory. Boats are starting to arrive now at Sebana and we are catching up with some old friends. Went into Siggi Ringit yesteday for some shopping (including Gerni).

Had a diver do the bottom which was good. Generally all seems to be well here

19/05/2009 | chris baker
hi there, its 2.30am and I'm in the damn Caboolture River again when its flooding! So I'm on 'log watch' and was trolling the net as a distraction from logs scraping along the hull, and noticed your entry. I'm glad some of us are actually cruising. Current Sunshine has been back in the water about two weeks since being out to repair damage (minor) from the last flood. So fingers crossed. The forecast just released is for flood warning in coastal rivers around here. Crikey! Happy sailing. Cheers --chris
Preparing for East Malaysia Extracts from Sail Malaysia site
Chris- with credits to Sail Malaysia
18/04/2009, Sebana - Johor

Malaysia is situated between 1 and 7 degrees north and has traditionally been the centre of regional trade due to its strategic location. With the growing number of marinas around the country is fast becoming accessible to cruisers and no longer a place to just pass by.

The west coast of Peninsula Malaysia has always been the main route for cruisers sailing from Australia to Europe. The eastern side of the country (east coast of Peninsula Malaysia, Sarawak and Sabah) offer a much quieter scene. This rally is meant to unearth some of the less traveled but spectacular destinations of the east. We hope to discover long sandy beaches and idyllic islands, unspoiled and unhurried. Some of the best diving sites in the world are located here and some still waiting to be discovered.

For the year 2009 we intend to take you from Penang to Kota Kinabalu. There is so much to look forward to. The journey is as much about self discovery as it is about visiting our friendly hosts.

Visiting Malaysia, as many of you already know, is hassle-free and convenient for long-term stopovers. The destinations that you will visit are also easily accessible by air. Travelling to any part of the world or receiving friends and family at the rally stops should not be a problem to anyone.

We would like to thank Tourism Malaysia for their advice, direction and support.

This event is a continuation of our efforts to promote marine tourism in Malaysia and we invite all sailors to join the Sail Malaysia Passage to the East and Discover Malaysia by Sea!

Short Escape Back
20/02/2009, Sebana - Johor

On 13th February we arrived back at Changi airport from Brisbane. As it was evening we needed to stay over to catch the ferry to Sebana the following morning. We discovered Changi Village Hotel near the airport with a free shuttle, and also not far from Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal for the morning. Lovely, reasonable and even better located near a food and local market where traditional meals were available for Sing$3, and wasn't it great to get back to the variety of foods and spices for dinner and breakfast!

Saturday across on the Ferry to Sebana, where all was well with Charmar and four days of just, well not much at all. A little tiny bit of maintenance and cleaning, swimming, walking and eating, eating swimming and walking and snoózin'. Feed the monkeys, watch the monitor lizards and the horn bill birds!

So we decide to go to Penang and maybe Langkawi. On the staff bus at 0700 to Bandar Penawar, catch an express coach to Kuala Lumpur, get off and walk across to the transit station, where a chap says, "where are you going", we say Penang and he walks us into the terminal and puts us on an express coach to Penang which left within half an hour! It would have taken us hours to find the right coach in the massive terminal!!

Arrive at Butterworth at about 1900 out of the coach, directly onto a ferry for the short ride to Pilau Pinang (Penang Island - Georgetown).

Go to the first lodge, grotty, catch a taxi to take us to the hotel area, tell him we just want somewhere clean for the night and he takes us 50 metres around a corner to a very clean lovely little hotel which we really like - The Friendship Hotel and VERY clean, pleasant and reasonable, we will come back here and can recommend it. Well worth the 10 ringit negotiated taxi fare!!

Stay the night walk to the ferry terminal at 0700 the next morning and catch the Ferry to Langkawi direct. Off the Ferry 2.5 hours later, hire a motor scooter and scoot to the other side of Langkawi to Cenang Beach, rent a room, drop our backpacks, onto the scooter up the road to jump off the bike straight onto the ferry to Rebak Island Resort and Marina. Meet our friends on Tiaki there for a couple of hours and tour the Island and Marina. Can't wait unfortunately for Kassoumay's owners to arrive on Saturday and catch the staff ferry back to Langkawi Island and head down the road back to our room. Quick ocean swim. Back on the scooter did a trip around the bottom of the Island to check out a dry dock and marina and onto Kuah the main area and township. It was dark so we went back through the middle of the Island - stopped at a local market to eat local fare for dinner - it was great (where the locals gather and eat can't be too far wrong!). Back to our room and bed after getting some mossie coils to fight off the persistent beasts!

Up early for breakfast, should have had a swim but forgot to, joined the locals for breakfast, went to visit another marina and boatyard and headed back to Royal Langkawi Yacht Club and Marina where we did a tour of inspection, quick lunch and back on the Ferry to Penang, with a stopover at a Marine Park Island on the way.

Back to our Friendship Hotel where we stayed one night ago, and asked for and was given a discount as a regular!

Perhaps an interesting management theory here, don't overplan but use the features of the environment to your advantage and your strategy may just work. Sometimes overplanning just leads to disappointment and failure of detailed plans to materialise! Broad plans and flexibility to achieve a given result using whatever comes along to advantage may just be a better recipe for our times!

Now to find another scooter and get around Penang. Dianne loves Langkawi (for good reason!) but is reserved about Penang so I need to convince her of its beauty and merits!!! Where is that scooter??

Sorry no camera with us, no photos, only memories.

PS: We find a scooter in Penang down in Litte India for 20 ringit and head off to the beach side markets for dinner, wow it was just fantastic and we get back to the Friendship Hotel before midnight but full, fat and happy.

After dinner whilst walking around the markets we visited "Dr Fish",
now this is where you sit with your feet in an "aquarium" and hundreds of little Dr Fish eat the dead skin off your feet and legs, and hands if you like. Little "cat fish" come along and vacuum where Dr Fish has been. In doing so they inject an enzyme that is "good" for your skin. Well it is a very funny feeling. Whilst there a South American was there with his girlfriend and parents, now he had very sensitive feet and burst out in raucous laughter everytime the hundreds of little fish set out about 'chewing' under his feet. It does tickle but you do get used to it but he just couldn't stand it and everytime he put his feet back in he burst out in uncontrollable laughter which was contagious to the group there. It was great entertainment and your feet felt so good afterwards as well - that was a bonus! Not a piranah in the tank anywhere!

Saturday we head off around and over and through Penang on the scooter and see a lot of the Island. Up hill and down dale was the order of the day as the Island is quite steep in parts. Scooter is a great way to travel around these parts - and we arrive back near the markets where we started last night for a shaved ice treat and banana fritters!

As we set off we see a large monitor lizard swimming in the sea as we are now travelling around the beaches and pretty coastline.

Onto Georgetown where we find Caroline and Steve by riding down a one way street the wrong way and spend the evening with them and their families with a delicious steamboat dinner before getting on a coach back to KL and onto Johor Baru arriving the following morning. The coach was very comfortable and we slept well. From Johor we had a two hour stopover on Sunday morning to catch the local Mara Liner bus back to Sebana, where we had a leisurely afternoon.

Monday and it is raining all day and I have been catching up on work and Dianne reading. Interesting how with modern technology one can be actively university lecturing in Australian through ANU but actually be in Malaysia and it is all transparent via Skype, the internet etc.

Sail Indonesia

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Charmar - 2008 Cairns Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, South China Sea, Borneo, Singapore, Puteri, L
Who: Chris and Dianne White
Port: Cairns Australia
View Complete Profile »
SailBlogs Friends
Pied A Mer 
Charmar prefers Transas Navigator a PC based integrated navigation/charting/plotting and planning system of Commercial Quality including AIS, tides, weather for safety and navigation For "Sea Spanners" Transas Navigator, The Wind Wheel or Laser Dinghies go to For migration to Australia or visa go PREDICT WIND can HELP YOU go to:

Powered by SailBlogs

Charmar:: Land Email: [email protected];; Radio: VZN6971:: Ham: VK4VCW:: SAILMAIL: [email protected]:: Skype: VZN6971:: SatPhone: 0011 8816 414 03960:: Aust Mobile: 0418 772 601/0428772601