Great Lakes Sailing

Vessel Name: Charrette
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau First 38
Hailing Port: Sister Bay, WI
About: We are an experienced Great Lakes cruising family of 4 (boys 16 and 12) who live aboard during the summer months. In addition to cruising, we also enjoy JAM racing as well as Flying Scot one design racing at the Ephraim Yacht Club where both boys are accomplished racers.
Extra:
Charrette is a 1983 Beneteau First 38 auxilary sloop with a fast modern hull shape, a deep fin keel and spade rudder configuration. She is fast, stable, roomy and does not look dated despite being over 25 years old. She is a sister ship to the S/V Bagheera, a First 38 that circumnavigated the [...]
19 August 2008 | Sault Ste. Marie, MI
19 August 2008 | Sault Ste. Marie, MI
19 August 2008 | Whitefish Point, MI
19 August 2008 | Grand Marais, MI
14 August 2008 | Murray Bay, Grand Island (Munising)
14 August 2008 | Marquette, MI
14 August 2008 | Marquette, MI
09 August 2008 | Lower Keewanaw Waterway Indent
09 August 2008 | Lower Keewanaw Waterway Indent
06 August 2008 | Lilly Pond Kewaunaw Waterway Upper Entry
06 August 2008 | Black River, MI
06 August 2008 | Black River, MI
06 August 2008 | La Pointe Harbor
06 August 2008 | La Pointe Harbor Via Bayfield
01 August 2008 | Raspberry Island Sand Spit
01 August 2008 | Rocky Island
01 August 2008 | Rocky Island Via Devils Island
01 August 2008 | Stockton Island
01 August 2008 | Village of La Point, Madeline Island, WI
01 August 2008 | Bayfield WI
Recent Blog Posts
19 August 2008 | Sault Ste. Marie, MI

Summer 2008 Lake Superior Cruise

8/14/08

19 August 2008 | Sault Ste. Marie, MI

Summer 2008 Lake Superior Cruise

8/13/08

19 August 2008 | Whitefish Point, MI

Summer 2008 Lake Superior Cruise

8/12/08

19 August 2008 | Grand Marais, MI

Summer 2008 Lake Superior Cruise

8/11/08

14 August 2008 | Murray Bay, Grand Island (Munising)

Summer 2008 Lake Superior Cruise

8/10/08

14 August 2008 | Marquette, MI

Summer 2008 Lake Superior Cruise

8/9/08

Summer 2008 Lake Superior Cruise

06 August 2008 | La Pointe Harbor
John
8/2/08

La Pointe Harbor

This morning at 0230, we were awakened by the bar closers from Tom's Burned Down Cafe who were coming back to their anchored boats. Despite the fact that it was a quiet, still night, the short dinghy ride from the beach must have been really rough as one of the sailors was soon heaving over the side of his boat from apparent seasickness. Later that morning, we went ashore to rent bikes so that we could tour the island. Although the brochure stated that the rental place was open at 0800, when we showed up at 0830, the young woman in charge of the store was still getting things organized and seemed quite surprised to see us there that early.

In two hours of brisk riding, we saw about 2/3rds of the island. The island is fairly rustic and beautiful and I especially enjoyed seeing the marshy areas near the shore on the southwest side. We took a brief detour into Big Bay Town Park and hiked down to the beach were we encountered some college aged kids who apparently had also been at Tom's Burned Down Cafe the night before. Further down the road, there was a very interesting "gentleman's farm" that contained among other things, a camel and a Dodge Viper sitting in the front lawn. The golf course near the Madeline Island Yacht Club was really the only area that was the least bit pretentious.

We returned to the boat with the idea that we'd go on to the Madeline Island Yacht Club to top off with diesel and fresh water and then continue on to Big Bay on the east shore of Madeline Island, but as we were motoring out, the forecast was calling for east winds 10-20 kts. Since Big Bay is totally open to the east and with a long distance for shelter in case of a blow, we elected to go back to La Pointe. As we were returning, two kids sailed by in a 420 and were soon in need of rescue, so Isak went out in the dinghy to lend a hand and eventually towed them back to the Madeline Island Yacht Club. Around dinner time, several other boats arrived to anchor close by entertaining us by their anchoring technique. One sailboat in particular came through the mooring fleet under sail and then anchored right next to us so close that several times the captain had to shorten his anchor line to keep from hitting us when the wakes from passing powerboats went by. Later that night we listened to the festivities of Pauline and Fred's wedding reception going on at the bar and restaurant near the marina. We thought it was going to be another late night of festivities, but after the garter was thrown around 9:00pm, things began to slow down.
Comments

About & Links