S/V Chase the Cat

Ocean: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the sailing ship Chase the Cat. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no Chase the Cat has gone before.

26 September 2017 | Karimun Jawa
25 September 2017 | Karimun Jawa
24 September 2017 | Bawean
22 September 2017 | Bawean
18 September 2017 | Lowina
17 September 2017 | Lowina
15 September 2017 | Lowina
13 September 2017 | Lombok
12 September 2017 | Lombok
11 September 2017 | Lombok
09 September 2017 | Lombok
08 September 2017 | Gili Banta
06 September 2017 | Rinca Island (Komodo)
30 August 2017 | Labuan Bajo
29 August 2017 | Flores Region, somewhere around Riung
26 August 2017 | Maurole

Welcome to Lombok!

09 September 2017 | Lombok
Mel
In Medana Bay we caught up with some old friends of ours -Geoff and Lyn, who we have met at Tipperary Waters and joined this Rally together. We anchored our Boat between Nautilus and Xamala further out in the Bay and had to Dinghy a bit through all the Boats to get to the Beach. The Beach has a 2.5m drop-off. When I thought I was ready to get out of the Dinghy to drag it onshore, I slid down the Side and sunk into the water. With my feet I tread for the Beach and got to stand up. The swell lifted the Dinghy further onto the Beach and Grant got to stay dry. The sun was about to go down but it was still warm, so I did not mind sitting around in wet pants. Geoff and Lyn welcomed us and showed us a little around. We set down at Medana Bays Sailfish Café and had Burgers, Chips and Beer. A whitish Stray Dog was running around the Restaurant, Resort and Beach. He came up to Lyn and me and tried begging. Lyn pushed him away explaining that this Dog likes nipping people. He then tried nipping Grant. Grant who has a lot of knowledge about animals showed him who is boss. So, the Dog left to rip up some garbage bags. When we came back to the Boat we had swung a lot closer to the Catamaran Nautilus. The owner of Nautilus was the father of Matty (Nautical Supplies in Darwin) who bought our Work-Van, when we left Darwin. Anyways! We decided to reanchor the Boat further away of the Fleet and closer to the open sea. Half way lifting up the Anchor the Anchor winch gave up and we dragged the anchor away from the boats till it grabbed. After a good Night sleep, early in the morning we saw that we anchored pretty close to an unlit portside Channelmarker and a Reef. Miranda had organised for us, to move the Boat to a Mooring at the Beach. I picked up the Mooring and hooked us on at the Bow, while Grant was driving the Stern of the Boat towards the Beach, where Geoff in his Dinghy pulled a Sternline to the beach and attached it to an Indonesian Flagpole. We sat about 10m of the Beach with the nose of the Boat into the Seaswell. We could see the other Boats rocking around while we sat absolutely still. Unluckily, before we arrived in Medana Bay, there must have been heavy Winds and a change in Swell coming straight into the Bay rocking the Boats. One unlucky Boat called Leprechaun from our Rally, who had picked up a Mooring Ball in deeper Water had the Mooring hooked onto their anchor and cut through the Mooring Rope. The boat drifted straight onto Miranda, smashing their Anchor against Mirandas wooden Railings, causing a hell of a lot damage. At that Point Geoff and Lyn (of Miranda) where holidaying in Gili Air and got a sour surprise when they got back. Unfortunately, bad things always happen to the wrong people or people who deserve it the least! Now being on that Mooring, we met a beautiful couple of the Sailingyacht Complexity. Her name was Barbara and she had a very neat sewing machine. Grant borrowed it to repair our MPS. While he was sitting at the Resort sewing away, other people brought their boken Sails in. SV Elas had blown his Spinnaker. Kim had torn the bottom of the Sail. Grant repaired it by sewing a red go-faster-strip into the Sail, to attach the side back onto it. We earned a free dinner at the Sailfish out of it. Thank you, Elas, it was fantastic!
Comments
Vessel Name: Chase the Cat
Vessel Make/Model: Beneteau First 31
Crew: Grant, Mel and Chase
Chase the Cat's Photos - Main
No items in this gallery.