Chasse Spleen

The Besson-Mackain Family Blog

Tonga

06 December 2007
The journey to Tonga is proving challenging, the weather is bad either too much wind (with gusts) forcing to reduce our sails or nothing at all. We also have a technical incident as the boom vang falls, Marc spots it immediately preventing some big metal pieces to break the windows of the pilot house. Damages are limited but the mainsheet sheave is misplaced and the mainsail cannot use as such. Armel and Marc needs to repair urgently at night as a gust could be quite fatal. We eventually manage to furl the mainsail and will resume repairs in daylight. We arrive in Vavau with a stunning weather to discover this beautiful set of islands. Neiafu, the main town is merely a big village where we are welcomed by charming locals including the local authorities. It offers nice restaurants, supermarkets with limited supplies, internet cafes by the dozen mostly run by New Zealanders who set up small businesses here. The highlight is the public market where one finds gorgeous vegetables, fruits and craft. The locals arrive in the morning from all the surrounding islands with their goods to be sold in the market.
The Tongans are very religious people and listening to them singing during a church service is a privilege. They also have huge respect of the King and to honour Him they often were on top of their clothes a traditional tapa.
We unfortunately have a bit of administrative tasks to finish before we head of to the islands to enjoy fishing, swimming, scuba diving etc... As we finally reach some very peaceful anchorage we hear of bad weather forecasts which force us to leave Vavau asap. We barely had a taste of this welcoming country and will try to return during the next season.
Comments
Vessel Name: Chasse Spleen
Vessel Make/Model: 71' Salthouse Motorsailer (NZ)
Hailing Port: Kingstown - St Vincent & Grenadines
Crew: The Besson-Mackain
About: MARC : Skipper, Papa, Mr Grumpy. CONSTANCE : Head crew - Mummy, Cook, Head Teacher, Hostess. ALEXIS & NICOLAS : Midships - 9 and 7 years old - The "Pirates".
Extra: Steel & aluminium, 4 doubles. 250 HP + 2 X 16 Kwa. 30hp 12' dinghy. 3 diving equipments, compressor.

Chasse Spleen

Who: The Besson-Mackain
Port: Kingstown - St Vincent & Grenadines