Chasse Spleen

The Besson-Mackain Family Blog

Arrival in New Zealand

10 March 2008
We are heading for the Minerva Reef, two huge atolls in the middle of the Pacific on our way to New Zealand. Most yachties rest there waiting for the proper weather window to head south to Opua. Unfortunately we are the only boat and moreover hear that a cyclone Daman has formed in Fiji and is now not heading for Vavau as originally forecasted but straight south to the Minerva Reef. We need to pursue our route, west rather than south but the dam cyclone seems to follow us, letting us no choice than entering a huge depression and seriously bad weather heading for New Zealand. We encounter gust of roughly 70 knots and although we hardly have anything out, our sails do not resist. We intended to change them now we have no choice. The only trouble is we still have 500 nautical miles to reach Opua which we do motoring thanks to our very resilient engine. This is not a comfortable ride, waves are rising up to 5-6 meters, we have breaking waves all over the deck and Chasse Spleen is like submarine, and no one dares leaving the pilot house unless absolutely necessary. We reach the territorial waters with relief. On our arrival in Opua we are greeted by the customs officers who are very kindly taking our lines. We probably all look like ghosts. Their sanitary services take away the usual suspicious food (any fresh vegetable and fruits, meat, dry vegetables and duck pates!) and we get the all clear to rest and enjoy our celebration drink. It is also Nicolas' birthday. The boys behaved very well during this tough journey, we try to keep their routine but they definitely felt the pressure and proved especially quiet.

Comments
Vessel Name: Chasse Spleen
Vessel Make/Model: 71' Salthouse Motorsailer (NZ)
Hailing Port: Kingstown - St Vincent & Grenadines
Crew: The Besson-Mackain
About: MARC : Skipper, Papa, Mr Grumpy. CONSTANCE : Head crew - Mummy, Cook, Head Teacher, Hostess. ALEXIS & NICOLAS : Midships - 9 and 7 years old - The "Pirates".
Extra: Steel & aluminium, 4 doubles. 250 HP + 2 X 16 Kwa. 30hp 12' dinghy. 3 diving equipments, compressor.

Chasse Spleen

Who: The Besson-Mackain
Port: Kingstown - St Vincent & Grenadines