Cheval

25 April 2016 | Buena Vista Cay, Ragged Islands
16 April 2016 | Puerto Vita, CUBA
15 April 2016 | Banes (Cuba)
14 April 2016 | Cuba (ORIENTE )
13 April 2016 | Holguin (Cuba)
12 April 2016 | Holguin (Cuba)
11 April 2016 | Guardalavaca (Cuba)
10 April 2016 | Puerto de Vita, Cuba
09 April 2016 | Puerto de Vita, Cuba
08 April 2016 | Puerto Vita, CUBA
25 March 2016 | Georgetown, Great Exuma
23 March 2016 | Georgetown, Great Exuma
22 March 2016 | Georgetown, Great Exuma
21 March 2016 | Georgetown, Great Exuma
20 March 2016 | Georgetown, Great Exuma
19 March 2016 | Calabash Bay (Long Island)
18 March 2016 | Calabash Bay (Long Island)
13 March 2016

Arrived in Cuba!!!

08 April 2016 | Puerto Vita, CUBA
Nathalie
We chose to leave around 3pm, the banks from Hog Cay in the Jumentos, direction west and make a turn for the south once in deeper water. We have never come across this part of the banks and did not want to short cut through the south west as the chart shows some coral heads and rocks awash. We never saw anything to worry about this way. The wind was supposed to be light so we were prepared to motor quite a bit or really motor sail. However we had enough wind to sail all the way and had to drop the main and fly just a bit of jib in order to arrive at dawn at the entrance of the bay of Puerto de Vita! We sailed at 2 knots the last 2 hours of the trip on purpose, a first for David!!!! We were excited and a little apprehensive of the check-in procedure in Cuba which we heard could be tedious and long. We called “Guardia de frontera” on channel 16 as advised in the Cuban cruising Guide we read, but no answer, we called again at 3 miles and they did answer us in perfect English! It was a relief as my Spanish is very very basic! They ask us the name of the vessel and nationality and told us to proceed into entering the bay following the buoy (Red, Right, Return), then they got in touch with us again and told us to anchor in front of the marina and wait on our boat for the officials. It took them a good 2 hours to show up, the doctor being the first one we met. A very nice guy, who check our temperature, and ask us several health questions and filled out a long form. I felt comfortable enough to ask him to take a picture with me, he accepted and put his sunglasses on. Soon after this, the guy with a sniffer dog as well as the offical of the guardia frontera and the agricultural agent came on board. Always very friendly and polite, they proceeded to ask us numerous questions and fill out lots of forms!!!! Although they ask about the meat, veggies, we had, they did not take anything away. The dog went through everything, every corner of each cabin. Then the frontera agent proceeded with a very detailed search of the boat opening drawers, chewing gum packages, lifting mattress etc. He did mention in an apologetic way that it was the customary Cuban check-in procedure. After all the forms were filled and signed, we got the permission to get in the marina, where the boats are all Med moored. The entrance and visa fees are to be paid in CUC (Cuban Convertible pesos) to the marina manager and of course you will have to go in town to change your money before you can do so, this is no problem, they will happily arrange for a taxi or you can take the bus. So all in all, it was the longest check-in of every country we have been through but every official was very courteous, polite and friendly.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cheval
Vessel Make/Model: Outremer 50
Hailing Port: Tavernier, Florida, USA
Crew: David, Nathalie, Alec and Emilie
About: The old crew of O'Vive reunited on Cheval for new adventures.

Cheval

Who: David, Nathalie, Alec and Emilie
Port: Tavernier, Florida, USA