Dan and Shelly's Caribbean Adventures

Join us while we sail the Caribbean!

01 October 2008 | Virgin Gorda
22 May 2008 | Buck Island
09 April 2008 | Puerto Rico to the Virgin Islands
09 March 2008 | Luperon to Puerto Rico
17 February 2008 | Luperon, Dominican Republic
04 February 2008 | Rum Cay to Turks and Caicos
22 January 2008 | Big Major to Stocking Island
12 December 2007 | Exuma Islands
02 December 2007 | Bahamas
08 November 2007 | Abacos
20 October 2007 | Bahamas
18 October 2007
04 June 2007 | Dinner Key Marina Miami
01 March 2007 | Dinner Key, FL

Luperon, Dominican Republic

17 February 2008 | Luperon, Dominican Republic
2-6-08
Weather window opened and we departed from Sapodilla Bay to Ambergris Cay
N21. 19
W71. 39
Great motor-sail from Sapodilla Bay to Ambergris Cay, lots of sunshine and 25 knots of wind. Ambergris Cay is known for a "wax-like" substance that is excreted by the humpback whales that pass through the Turks Island passage and that is often found on the windward shore of Big Ambergris...not planning to go ashore and walk the beach! Actually, it is Humpback Whale season here. Over 3,000 whales pass through Turks passage on their way to Samana Bay, Dominican Republic. Humpback whales come to the Silver Bank (Banco de la Plata) off the north coast of D.R. for their breeding season...Yes, Dan and I are whale watching.

2-7-08
After a nights rest, we departed Ambergris Cay for South Caicos
N21. 28.70
W71. 31.70
Not much to say about South Caicos...Dan and I went ashore, returned to our boat and were happy to depart...Sketchy!

2-8-08
South Caicos to Great Sand Cay
N21. 11.65
W71. 15.50
You will enjoy this...a 20 mile sail took us 9 hours. We had a beautiful day. Great Sand Cay is our last island before our over night sail to D.R. Great Sand Cay, was once a habitat for the west Indian monk seal and the manatee before they were hunted to extinction. Upon our arrival, ten other cruisers, a conch horn, and a full moon greeted us. Once again, Dan and I were just in-time for happy hour. Life is Good!

2-10-08 through 2-11-08
Depart Great Sand Cay for Luperon, Dominican Republic (Hispaniola), located on the north coast of D.R.
N19. 55.50
W70. 56.50
80 miles in 16 hours, one tack and a star filled night. Brilliant! By sunrise, we reached our waypoint and celebrated the journey with 10 other cruisers who reached the same bay. Luperon is surrounded by lush green mountains and rainforest. Luperon Anchorage is the safest hurricane hole is the Caribbean for the cruising world. The local community is a pleasantly friendly, simple, and affordable. Dan and I are expanding our spanglish skills and thoroughly enjoy the culture. For the past week, we have explored the island by bus, Gua-gua, and foot. We have been entertained by cock fighting, local discos, waterfall tours, a soap rock museum, and a day travel to Puerto Plata...locals...locals...
Comments
Vessel Name: Chinook
Vessel Make/Model: Hunter 420
Hailing Port: Steamboat Colorado
Crew: Dan and Shelly Fowler

Who: Dan and Shelly Fowler
Port: Steamboat Colorado