Research Vessel Cape Hatteras

The R/V CAPE HATTERAS is owned by the National Science Foundation and operated under a renewable Charter Party Agreement by the Duke/UNC Oceanographic Consortium. Her homeport is at Duke University Marine Laboratory in Beaufort, North Carolina.

01 February 2013 | Beaufort, NC
14 January 2013
19 July 2012 | Straits of Florida
19 July 2012
04 July 2012
15 November 2011 | East Flower Garden Banks, Gulf of Mexico
06 November 2011 | East Flower Garden Back, Gulf of Mexico
05 November 2011 | Gulf of Mexico
27 August 2011 | North Charleston, SC
26 August 2011 | North Charleston, SC
25 August 2011 | off SC coast
23 August 2011 | off the coast of NC
23 August 2011 | Off the coast of NC
06 August 2011 | Gulf of Mexico
05 August 2011 | GUlf of Mexico
30 June 2011 | Gulf of Mexico
30 June 2011 | Charleston, SC
25 May 2011 | Mission Annelid: Success

USGS blog

24 September 2010 | Gulf of Mexico
Tina & Julie Galkiewicz
The USGS scientists are writing their own blog about this cruise while aboard the Hatteras.

http://fl.biology.usgs.gov/DISCOVRE/discovre_2010/discovre_10_cruise_1.html

September 20 - October 3, 2010

Cruise Highlights

This is the first cruise of the final year of a 4-year project funded by the U.S. Geological Survey's Terrestrial, Freshwater and Marine Ecosystems Program provided in support of the information needs of the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement (BOEMRE). The cruise will examine deep coral sites in the eastern and north-central Gulf of Mexico using the research vessel Cape Hatteras and the Kraken ROV. We will use the ROV to conduct photographic surveys of the deep coral habitats and collect coral and coral inhabitants for genetics, reproduction, microbiology, food-web, and community studies. Considering the recent Deepwater Horizon oil spill, this cruise will pay particular attention to the health and status of habitats and communities encountered and will describe any observed impacts.




---------------------------------------------


Julie's 1st blog post for USGS

http://fl.biology.usgs.gov/DISCOVRE/discovre_2010/discovre_2010-9-21.html

Cruise Log: 9/21/2010

In science, sometimes the coolest things you find are not what you were originally looking for!

Julie Galkiewicz

My part in the DISCOVRE cruises is to identify and characterize the microbes associated with Lophelia corals and some of the animals that hang out on the reefs. The microbes on Lophelia may play an important role in breaking down food sources, cycling nutrients, and keeping disease-causing bacteria in check. One way of figuring out which microbes are present on Lophelia is to try to grow them up in the lab. To do this, we bring up living coral pieces and smash the branches to bits with a hammer. Then I smear the smashed coral on different nutrient sources.

Different nutrient sources allow different types of microbes to grow. So the trick is figuring out which nutrient sources will help bacteria found on Lophelia to grow! We have some standard nutrients we use, but it's always good to try things we haven't used before. Last year we brought some extremely different nutrient sources to see if we could get brand new organisms to grow. And lucky us, they did! However, instead of just the bacteria we had gotten previously, we also grew up two different species of fungi!

These fungi have been found associated with deep-sea sediments, so they aren't brand new to science. But this is the first time any fungi have been recovered from Lophelia! The coral colonies that the fungi were cultured from were healthy and found on two different sampling sites in the Atlantic Ocean. This suggests that the fungi weren't just randomly associated with a single coral. So the fungi may be performing an important function for the coral host.

Because of this exciting new finding from last year, we've tailored our microbiology experiments this year to focus on finding these fungi in Gulf of Mexico Lophelia. This would tell us whether the corals in the Atlantic have a unique association with fungi or whether it's common in Lophelia from both the Gulf and the Atlantic.

And of course, we're still trying to find new and exciting organisms with diverse nutrient sources! Who knows what we'll find on this cruise?




------------------------------------------


Here's a link to the ROV being used on this cruise, Kraken

http://www.nurc.uconn.edu/technologies/kraken.htm
Comments
Vessel Name: R/V Cape Hatteras
Hailing Port: Beaufort, NC
Extra:
R/V Cape Hatteras The R/V CAPE HATTERAS is owned by the National Science Foundation and operated under a renewable Charter Party Agreement by the Duke/UNC Oceanographic Consortium. Her homeport is at Duke University Marine Laboratory in Beaufort, North Carolina and she is scheduled by UNOLS [...]
Home Page: www.rvcapehatteras.org
R/V Cape Hatteras's Photos - Main
25 Photos
Created 12 October 2010
Pictures taken on the Bahamas Diving Cruise
5 Photos
Created 3 July 2010
pictures taken during our cruise sampling in and around the oil spill
23 Photos
Created 13 June 2010
34 Photos
Created 10 December 2009
16 Photos
Created 25 September 2009
3 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 24 September 2009