Ok, so the galley is the next major obstacle. The support underneath is long-since gone, so every time someone stepped into the boat the countertop sagged. Beyond that, the replacement countertop installed with the new engine isn't holding up, there's wasted space below the counter, the sink has no plumbing, and the old engine access was built for the bigger Mercedes, so the extra space is wasted on the new Vetus and is infringing on the small walking-area. Soo...
Out comes the galley! I'm reframing it all in white oak and hoping to replace the countertop with Corian. I will be installing a refigerator / freezer into the wasted space back in the corner and re-doing the shelving to accomodate for the microwave.
Finally, I believe, the base level of CL's electrical system is complete. I separated the starting battery ground from the house bank ground, opening the contacts on the VSR resulting in an immediate 3A current reduction on the house house bank. The starting battery and house bank are now completely isolated except when paralleled by the VSR. Seems like it's right, time will tell...
Now, what's next...?
After 2 day marathon of wiring, rewiring, and rewiring again I've finally completed a couple major hurdles. The aux panel, pictured, works 100 percent. 12v outlet, solenoid control for propane, analog meter for starting battery, and even the digital amp-voltmeter for the house bank. I completely rewired the batteries and charging system today in a configuration much more suited to my VSR. And the lower panel and modern battery selector switch with VSR is completely functional. Next stop: main electrical panel. Once that's done the galley demo can begin!
Ok, so I thought I'd have the bottom panel finished today. As it turns out the heater in my Durango quit working yesterday. Yea, so today is fix the Durango day.
Making progress! As you can see the aux panel is completely installed, although only partially wired. Still need to get the digital house bank meter connected, but the analog starting battery meter is running accurately.
The new battery compartment finally has a nice, teak side on it. The battery selector switch has been relocated and I will post a pic of that once I tie up a few loose ends.
In his defense, my Uncle's incessant pestering isn't completely unwarranted; I haven't updated the blog since the beginning of spring. Slacker. Ok, so let's see what I can do.
Let's start with the to-do list from the beginning of last spring.
- Stainless Steel sail track pulled out of toe rail and bent 90 degrees.
REPAIRED. SAIL TRACKS REMOVED AND REINSTALLED WITH NEW SS HARDWARE, OFFSET FROM ORIGINAL HOLES BY 3". SHOULD BE GOOD FOR ANOTHER 50 YEARS.
- Chartplotter will not power up (found it like that in the morning)
REFURBISHED UNIT RECEIVED FROM GARMIN. ALL IS WELL.
- Bilge pump plumbing needs complete overhaul to include vented loop and new hose.
- Bilge pump switch still not wired in. Need to fix that while I'm working on the pump.
- Need to remove and reinstall all sail tracks with new hardware.
DONE. SEE ITEM #1
- Still no flag halyard, need to fix that
Well, not too shabby! As you can see I haven't been updating, but that doesn't mean I've been slackin'! In fact, I've moved on a bit.
This winter I've set aside for some more restoration projects below. I'm still having electrical issues with my charging system, probably due to an engineering error on my part. It looks like the AWG 2 battery cables are causing an excessive voltage drop which is really messing with my Voltage Sensing Relay (VSR), causing it to repeatedly cycle on and off. In order to fix THAT problem I need not only to reduce the cable gauge, but shorten the length as well. SOOO...
Since the battery storage area needs to be finished I'm going to move the battery selector switch and VSR back down there, removing about 12 feet of total cable and reducing the gauge down to somewhere around 8. That will leave a big hole in the temporary acrylic panel I made. I think I've gotten the arrangement bugs worked out, so that will need to be done as well. Last but not least, the aux panel needs to be finalized, too, adding meters for the batteries and a switch for the refrigerator/freezer I'm putting in. WHAT?!?!?! Oh, yea, and I want to rebuild the galley, too. To review..
- finish battery compartment in teak, relocate VSR
- finish main elec. panel in light marine-grade plywood (Okume)
- finish aux panel in okume, add meters for batteries and switches
- remove all panelling from galley. install new galley with improvements
(we'll talk more about that later)
I started with the aux panel (see photo). What you see starting in the top left and working around clockwise is a new cluster of 3 switches with a 12vdc power adaptor (1 switch for the new fridge, 1 for the propane solenoid, and a spare), the opening for the existing bilge pump switch, analog gauge for the starting battery (original from Ventura!), and a new digital ammeter/voltmeter for the house battery. The wood is marine-grade Okume plywood. Since both the aux and main panels are in inherently dark areas I wanted the blonde wood to lighten things up. The particular plywood will be used extensively throughout my restoration to try and lighten the 50-year old teak interior up. The wood you see here is the finished product, sanded to 220 and varnished with 00 steel wool between coats. The next photo will be of the panel installed.
The teak for the battery compartment is rough cut and should be finished this week.
Ok, that's where we're at. We'll see what I can get done before spring!