New Life for Christy Lee

Detailing the restoration of a classic Spencer 35...

16 August 2017
30 September 2014
27 July 2014
07 June 2014
22 February 2014
05 February 2014
25 January 2014
02 June 2013
10 April 2013
25 March 2013 | Norfolk, VA
15 March 2013
14 March 2013
13 March 2013
12 March 2013
03 March 2013
28 February 2013
24 February 2013
23 February 2013

Catching up

02 June 2013
The race went well, we placed middle of the pack. Not too shabby. The trip to the starting line was a little rough, we pulled out of Little Creek into 2-3 footers. We made the trip to Norfolk closed hauled just before the wind died. By race start the wind had come around to the east and we began the two-leg race on a run. The big drifter came out, joining the acres of sail as the fleet sailed wing on wing or, as in the racing class, flew spinnakers. We rounded middle ground light and beat windward on the #1, finishing the race 5th in the cruising class of 11 or so.

The trip back to Little Creek was dicey, the afternoon wind building quickly to a strong ESE blow. The first bit of breakage happened about 10 minutes after leaving the dock party; the starboard jib track bent 90 degrees up as soon as we put strain the working jib. Several screws had pulled out of the toe rail, rendering the starboard sail track inoperable forward. The starboard sheet was rerouted quickly to the remnants of the self-setting jib track, and we continued on. Winds were strong enough to keep us well heeled all the way back. A few puffs of 25+ put the rail well into the water. We discovered that the loop in the bilge pump discharge is NOT above the maximum heeled water line, the result of which was a bilge pump constantly running to try and keep the siphon from filling the boat.

We had fun, to be sure, and our two newbie crew members got broken in. All in all a pretty good day, but...

- Stainless Steel sail track pulled out of toe rail and bent 90 degrees.
- Chartplotter will not power up (found it like that in the morning)
- Bilge pump plumbing needs complete overhaul to include vented loop and new hose.
- Bilge pump switch still not wired in. Need to fix that while I'm working on the pump.
- Need to remove and reinstall all sail tracks with new hardware.
- Still no flag halyard, need to fix that
- Pre-race power wash stripped old, crappy teak off. OIL!

I think that was about it. So, I had a pretty good grocery list of things to do.
To date:

- Refurbished Chartplotter received from Garmin.
- Bent sail track straightened, began work removing others.
- Bilge pump discharge re-plumbed. New hose, Vented loop installed raising high point about six inches on the centerline.
- Bilge pump wiring redone, switch wired in above chart table.
- Teak oiled a couple times, sanding begun.
- Flag halyard installed on backstay :-).

I'm off!

Comments
Vessel Name: Christy Lee
Vessel Make/Model: 1963 Spencer 35
Hailing Port: Chesapeake, VA
Crew: Steph & the kids
About:
I got a boat in the first place because cruising is a family thing. I have many, MANY good memories of sailing that involved my uncles, my grandparents, and the good people at VYC. My crew is my family, and anybody else who decides to come along. [...]
Extra: “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain

Cap'n Mike's Info

Who: Steph & the kids
Port: Chesapeake, VA