Chrysalis Adventures

23 March 2024 | Loa Probanf, Loas
07 March 2024 | Chang Mia, Thialand
04 March 2024 | Wa. State USA
23 March 2023 | Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic
01 January 2023 | Sea Tac
04 March 2022 | Zihuatenajo, Mexico
30 September 2019 | Mt. Vernon, Wa
25 April 2019
06 February 2019 | La Paz, Mexico
05 January 2019
07 November 2018 | San Diego
15 September 2018
13 August 2018
14 June 2018
08 June 2018
29 May 2018
27 May 2018
19 May 2018

La Paz to Mazatlan

23 October 2015
Mazatlan to Puerto Vallarta

Our little hotel in Mazatlan was nice and clean, had a view of the bay and a pool for $35! The building dated back to the 20's and was originally a government building. In it's hey day, in the 1950's it was a grand hotel on the beach of old town Mazatlan. In the court yard the stairway was built of hand hewed teak beams, along with banyan tree's both nearly one hundred years old. Like La Paz, Mazatlan has a great malecon but this one goes on for miles. We walked four miles of it then got a taxi. We met up with another old cruising friend of ours, Dennis. We had met Dennis down in El Salvador two years ago. We were heading south and he north, again we figured we would never see each other again. We had a great evening together over drinks and dinner swapping cruising stories and lie's. He came over to our hotel the next morning and we had coffee together and said goodbye probably, to never to see each other again, but one never knows for sure and this is the way it goes with cruising/back packing travel. This was our second visit to Mazatlan so we had seen most of it before. We walked old town again in the “historic district”, homes built in late 1800's by German immigrants who built the silver mines. Some of these are in ruins with tree's growing up through them after the roofs had caved in. Some are in poor state of repair, but a majority have been completely restored and are worth several hundred thousand dollars. We had meet another couple of “backpacker” travelers on the ferry and met up with them walking the malicon, what are the odds. One of whom “Orly” was a Mexican national who was fluently bilingual. She said she had rode her bicycle from Encenada to La Paz and was continuing up to Mexico City, aah to be young. We always enjoy meeting other budget travelers and share info on cheap places to stay and places to see and do, like hey there's 25 cent toco's down the block. We stayed two days in Mazatlan and took the bus to Puerto Vallarta. The only bus to PV left at 12:30 at night getting there at 8am. This bus was a pretty nice one with comfortable seats so were able to get “some” sleep but it was OK. Again we found a little rustic hotel in Old Puerto Vallarta. Clean, a pool and one block from the beach, it was just right for us. We headed out after checking in looking for coffee and some breakfeast. And who did we meet while we sat at an open air cafe on the malicon ,but Orly and her friend from Spain. We bought them a coffee and chatted. We had tried to book a place to stay for a couple of weeks and had an appointment to go look at it today. We took it. It was a little studio a block from the beach in a little town called Bousareas 15 miles up the bay from P.V. We will move in tomorrow and will do more exploring from there. Ok got moved in but the studio was not availible so the owner put us in a two bedroom with a pool and A/C for the same price! As I write this we have been here in the Puerto Vallarta area for 10 days and as usual have been busy exploring. We have also been to P.V. before so we are trying to see some things we did not see before. We explored Old Town Vallarta, walking the old (like 60 years old) coble stone streets. We were looking for the Elizabeth Tayor and Richard Burtons old in the old town area. We could not find it the first we searched but did find a new friend Janette who we chatted with for some time as we both out strolling. She is an expat and lives here in P.V.. After doing some research we found out the the house had been torn down to the foundation and was in the state of rebuilding. Apparently Liz had sold it in 1990 and left all her belonging there, old pictures and clothes. We were happy when we finally found as it had been rebuilt to it's original splender with the little pink (Love bridge) connecting Liz's house to Burtons as they were both married at the time. Burton stared in the movie “The night of the Iguana” here shoot in 1964 and apparently it was this fact that put “Vallarta” on the tourist map. We were also able to arrage to meet and have drinks with our old friend “Billy Bob” Billy Bob owns Billy Bobs bar and grill up in San Blas were we stayed with our boat back in 2011. We hung out at the bar a fare amount back than as it was a favorite hang out and meeting place for cruisers and expats. It was great to see him again and catch up on the local gosip in San Blas and there was always plenty when we were there. We explored around our little place here in “Bucerias”, visting the beach and just enjoyng hanging out. On the 20th of October we found out that hurricane “Patricia” had spawned and was predicted to hit Vallarta! It has been strange waiting for the storm. We have felt safe in our little concrete Casa.On the 22nd the storm developed into a category 5 storm and as of a few hours ago had grown to be the most intense storm in US history! So as I write this we are hunkerd down with lot's of food and water, waiting for the shit to hit the fan!

It's now 10pm Friday the 23, it's very odd sitting and waiting. Storm should hit us in a few hours. We are hoping for less than a dead on hit. Our internet has been on and off. Our lights are still on, but the tv's dead. We will tell the rest of the story in our next blog entry. Stay tuned for more adventure.
Comments
Vessel Name: Chrysalis II
Vessel Make/Model: 1964
Hailing Port: Port Townsend, Wa
Crew: Dave & Leiann
About:
After getting together I talked Leiann into buying and rehabing an old Coronado 25. We spent all summer of 2001 rehabing, got married at Bowman Bay (Deception Pass) then sailed into the sunset together. We sailed that little 25 for the next 6 years before buying our Cascade 29. [...]
Extra: Our contact info: E-Mail is cdavidscee@msn.com
Social:
Chrysalis II's Photos - Main
few pix of our time with the big boys
22 Photos
Created 23 March 2024
Photos of Change Mia, Lao and Cambodia
95 Photos
Created 7 March 2024
Jan through April in PR and DR
31 Photos
Created 23 March 2023
Pix of Chrysalis III in La Paz Bay before we sold her in 2020
11 Photos
Created 1 January 2023
The boats sports a new paint job and our trip down
13 Photos
Created 6 February 2019
We head south for Mexico
11 Photos
Created 5 January 2019
Our adventures back home with the grandkids
16 Photos
Created 5 January 2019
Our last days in Italy
80 Photos
Created 14 June 2018
48 Photos
Created 8 June 2018
Our quick trip up to Florence, the leaning tower and a visit with our long lost friends from Panama Lina and Enso
71 Photos
Created 29 May 2018
Our first couple weeks in Greece
117 Photos
Created 8 May 2018
Our two day mad dash in Egypt
106 Photos
Created 8 May 2018
Our last days on the Isle of Love
31 Photos
Created 25 April 2018
Our second month in Cyprus
42 Photos
Created 28 March 2018
Our fist days in Cyprus
23 Photos
Created 31 January 2018
Agadir
7 Photos
Created 25 January 2018
Our fist taste of Africa
82 Photos
Created 6 January 2018
Nerja caves and Gilbratar
21 Photos
Created 25 December 2017
First Seville blog update
106 Photos
Created 18 November 2017
Little Rome
19 Photos
Created 2 November 2017
Our last day out sight seeing in Lisbon
17 Photos
Created 30 October 2017
Our time in Porto and more lisbon
51 Photos
Created 27 October 2017
Our first few days in lisbon
19 Photos
Created 6 October 2017
our continuing adventures in panama
12 Photos
Created 15 January 2017
Our trip up to the mountain
29 Photos
Created 7 May 2016
Our trip up to the mountain
No Photos
Created 7 May 2016
Our visit to Sacay Huaman ruin just outside of Cusco, peru
19 Photos
Created 18 March 2016
Fun with our friends in Ecuador
41 Photos
Created 25 February 2016
12 Photos
Created 23 January 2016
22 Photos
Created 9 January 2016
Our two month stay in Medellin Colombia
42 Photos
Created 14 December 2015
Around town and casa
19 Photos
Created 18 November 2015
La Paz to Mazatlán on ferry
28 Photos
Created 12 October 2015
Our adventure on the bus and early adventures in La Paz
23 Photos
Created 26 September 2015
Seattle to Ensenada
23 Photos
Created 17 September 2015
Caribbean coast
No Photos
Created 12 January 2015
June and July 2015
11 Photos
Created 31 July 2014
Around the horn and anchor pix
No Photos
Created 19 December 2013
San Juan Del Sur and Granada
70 Photos
Created 1 December 2013
few more
20 Photos
Created 25 October 2013
more stuff to see
20 Photos
Created 24 October 2013
at the ruins and around the town
38 Photos
Created 24 October 2013
Our last few weeks in Guatemala
20 Photos
Created 25 May 2013
piks of above
65 Photos
Created 20 April 2013
more of Guat and clinic
44 Photos
Created 20 March 2013
What else Guatamala and Panahachell
12 Photos
Created 15 February 2013
27 Photos
Created 10 January 2013
Where you find the chicken church and more......
17 Photos
Created 19 December 2012
Our trip into the interior, San cristobal, the water falls and Palenque.
73 Photos
Created 10 December 2012
20 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 15 November 2012
20 Photos
Created 1 September 2012
69 Photos
Created 9 July 2012
40 Photos
Created 9 July 2012
Around the town so far
44 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 10 May 2012
Around town,cliff divers and more
63 Photos
Created 9 May 2012
12 Photos
Created 3 May 2012
Janes vist
41 Photos
Created 10 April 2012
30 Photos
Created 2 March 2012
Pix of the towns and such
No Photos
Created 13 February 2012
Chacala
34 Photos
Created 8 February 2012
49 Photos
Created 8 January 2012
San Bas
33 Photos
Created 4 January 2012
cool stuff
52 Photos
Created 22 December 2011
46 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 14 December 2011
16 Photos
Created 9 December 2011
around town
29 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 3 November 2011
8 Photos
Created 18 September 2011
Chrysalis II hits the water!
14 Photos
Created 29 August 2011
water maker, invertor, GPS/plotter/sounder, solar pannels
8 Photos
Created 11 July 2011
finally got the cabin painted
7 Photos
Created 1 July 2011
Number one Coast Gaurd safety drogue, well all else falls throw out the drogue and batton down the hatches
8 Photos
Created 20 June 2011
First coat hull paint, primer on the house. Flemming wind vane Deal
20 Photos
Created 20 June 2011
Dryroot removel to repaint
46 Photos
Created 13 June 2011