"Cruising let's you share a back porch with a billionaire. In Turkey we anchored next to a diamond merchant's 200 foot megayacht for two days. He spent 50 million dollars to visit the same destination as us. Some people buy floating condominiums and some people buy the sailing equivalent of a cargo crate, but we all meet at the same barbecue pit on the beach." unknown
Another beautiful spring day in Beaufort. The sails ( main and roller furler headsail)are on, although it is too windy to finish running the reefing lines and ties. We will have to wait for a calm.
The reef lines pull the sail down to a smaller size when sailing in higher winds and the ties - tie it down to the new size. Our main sail has three reefs so we have a choice of 100%, 1st, 2nd and 3rd reef. We usually sail with the 1st reef in winds around 15 knots, the 2nd reef for winds 15 to 25, and the 3rd is the holy sh*t setting for gales. Think of it as an ever shrinking triangle with the 3rd reef being just a hankie of a sail. The real storm main sail is another sail altogether..a"Try Sail" - - when you are really in the beginning of the nightmare stuff you take down the main, strap it to the boom and the boom to the deck ( you really do not want a 12 foot boom flaying about in a real storm) and then you raise your try-sail..the smallest and heaviest of our sail inventory. It is loose footed ( not attached to the boom). It is attached to the mast and then pulled aft and tight with a powerful block and tackle. There is a similar heavy weather sail for the fore deck when you do not want to use the furler. Sails that we NEVER want to see out of their bag!!
We are in a temporary slip - actually the biggest one here - for the real YACHT--waiting for our slip to be vacated by its current temporary resident. The new slip is actually the slip we had in November, alone- nearly on the soon to be repaired Hurricane Irene damaged docks. Only two survived on that side of the marina, ours and one more inboard. It will be nicer over there, with a better view and a little more protected from storm swells. Living in the current slip is sorta like living in Manhattan. We are surrounded by very large tall white power yachts. The kind that have 3 folks arrive and polish everything and fill the 2- 950 gallon tanks ( yep!!! WOW!! Think of that bill!! $3.75 gal) and bring the groceries for the owners who are flying in on Friday. The regular slip fee for this slip is $750 a month plus electric. Just a little outside of our budget. Steve - of Town Creek - however is a nice guy and we get to pay our regular amount ( still steep - $450) here and there.
But we have been staying free since November, so rent is fair. Another month or so we plan to be on the hook (hopefully before the Tiki Bar and bands 3 nights a week arrive in May!! 15 feet from the boat- or if the music is good???? Who knows - we just wanna have fun to paraphrase Cindi Lauper) So for now the cost makes our lives easier.. that is good..
Well..... back to work, my third day of polishing stainless. Steve is on the last of the projects. Got the new furler winch installed, now working on cleaning out the anchor locker and setting up a closed hawse hole system for off shore to keep the water out of the anchor locker when we take a wave over the bow.
Enjoy your spring.. Mitch
03/22/2012, Town Center Marina
Huzzah!!! She passed with flying colors, temperature, back pressure, rpm all are A-ok. The insulation on the gooseneck exhaust needs to be a higher temp version, it was smoking..will find same today at the local commercial fishing boat marine store they gots everything.!!
Re-loading,sails on tomorrow. Happy Spring!!
"There's no thrill in easy sailing when the skies are clear and blue, there's no joy in merely doing things which any one can do. But there is some satisfaction that is mighty sweet to take, when you reach a destination that you never thought you'd make" - unknown
Ms. Yanmar ran for about 20 minutes and then scarily started to overheat...Steve shut her down...He said that the coolant needed burping. He is being so good about not touching the engine and voiding the warranty..off he went to get JJ. Yep that was it..a little indigestion..tap-tap on on her back and BURP! Started right back up and ran for the hour no further problems.
We spent the day starting to reload the boat from the land locker. Sailing gear first since we have a date and time for the sea trial - Thursday high tide..Bringing back the safety gear, sails, etc so we can head out to the Atlantic as needed. How exciting!!
We have a new sailboat at the dock, a fellow arrived with damage after sailing up from the Bahamas. He was headed to Cape May NJ 60 miles offshore, but hit bad weather and was taking on water. He headed in with all his pumps running and his grab bag ready to abandon ship. Kinda scary. His furler headsail broke free at mast top and his anchor got loose and was smashing holes in the boat. He was taking in water from somewhere aft too. He made it in and has been repairing stuff, will need to go on the hard to fix the bow damage. Only goes to show ya..March is still a tricky time in the North Atlantic.
From my calendar - March 12, 1888 - The Great Blizzard of 1888 struck the US east coast: at least 138 vessels were blown ashore, sunk, or damaged north of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina.
March 18, 1781 The sloop Saratoga of the Continental Navy was lost with all hands in a gale off the Bahamas.
Back to work....what fun !!
She is purring, warming up getting ready for the testing round. It was the STOP Switch...the mechanic reversed the plugs...stopping the fuel from getting to the injector pump..a quick change of plugs and click key and she started!!!
Water is coming from the new exhaust...so far so good..later for more
|cimaise and crew||
Well, we were here two weeks ago to splash cimaise, she floated..but the engine did not start. It was late on a Friday and the mechanics had - had a enough and after checking the systems did not find the problem. She turned over, but....
We needed to return to Virginia and so put off the yard for a couple of weeks to solve the problem.
So now we are back, hopefully for months...The new shed has been built, there is room to bring additional stuff home as we sort off the weight. We took almost everything off her for the winter on the hard, renting a local storage locker (heated).
Today, we get to clean and start reloading the boat. Tomorrow the mechanic team arrives to start her up. Tomorrow we will have good news I am sure, VAROOM..putt putt putt.
The plans for spring and early summer are to go SAILING, as much and as often as we can. Out to the ocean as the weather permits. March in the Atlantic requires a good weather window so we will be planning accordingly.
Then as hurricane season arrives we will store cimaise on the hard in a well protected yard up the Intracoastal waterway -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intracoastal_Waterway - and then plan to drive out to the Pacific Ocean and back visiting family and friends ( warning warning!! we are coming your way!!)
Then back here in late September to renew the bottom paint and then splash in prep for TAKE TWO!~!!!!~~~~~
|cimaise and crew||
The blog starts again..but tomorrow..we have had a long day..disappointing in as much as the newly repaired engine failed to start. It ran on the bench, but now it will not fire. The mechanics will return.
However, tonight we sleep in our bunk on our soft and moving water bed.