Cisnecito Around the World

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI
02 February 2008 | Newport Beach, California
29 January 2008 | Newport Beach, CA
27 January 2008 | Balboa Yacht Club, California
25 January 2008 | San Diego, California
23 January 2008 | Mission Bay, California
20 January 2008 | Public Docks, San Diego
18 January 2008 | Shelter Island, San Diego
18 January 2008 | San Diego, California
17 January 2008 | United States/Mexico Border
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
14 January 2008 | Sacramento Reef, Baja California
14 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | 60 Miles West of Turtle Bay
10 January 2008 | 130 Miles South of Cedros Island

On Anchor with Pamina Off Nosy Mitsio

11 October 2006 | Nosy Mitsio, Madagascar
Julie
After a late night aboard Freefall celebrating Axel's return from Germany, we got up at 6am to sail up to Nosy Mitsio, where Pamina was just arriving from their passage across from Chagos. We had to motor very slowly around the south side of Nosy Be, as the charts here are not very detailed and shallow water tends to come up rapidly and unexpectedly. Once we got around the corner the wind picked up and we were able to sail.

I was suffering from a bit of 'helly belly' so was lying down below when I heard Chris repeatedly putting the boat into gear and then back to neutral. After about thirty minutes of this I decided to pop up to see what was happening. Turns out he had hooked a massive great trevalli, just over a meter and probably about fifty pounds. I gaffed him and we hurled him into the cockpit to expire. We filleted him and got some of the larger fillets I've seen in my life.

The wind and sea states went up and down throughout the sail, with some very boisterous periods at times. We arrived in the early afternoon and anchored next to Pamina, very happy to be here after they had been blown back out from Cape Ambre on their first approach and had to wait another day to round it. They came over for a dinner of grilled trevalli kebabs with onions and peppers, rice and green salad, still a luxury having come across the Indian Ocean without salad for two months. I made bananas flambe for dessert and we had a fun evening catching up. Chris just made poached eggs for breakfast and we're having a nice leisurely morning.

We are anchored off of a very long white sand beach and I am looking forward to going for a run this morning. I think the last time I ran was in Darwin, so we'll see how that goes. We plan to visit the village in the afternoon and then a man came around yesterday evening who has promised to bring us four lobsters today...so if all goes well, we will be having a lobster feast tonight!

Axel brought us a new camera on his way back from Germany - this is the first photo from it, so we hope it looks ok!
Comments
Vessel Name: Cisnecito
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 46 MkII
Hailing Port: Newport, RI
Crew: Julie and Chris Mays
Extra: After three years of freezing in New York, we decided to give up our corporate careers to set sail on the opportunity of a lifetime...
Home Page: http://www.cisnecito.com/

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI