Cisnecito Around the World

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI
02 February 2008 | Newport Beach, California
29 January 2008 | Newport Beach, CA
27 January 2008 | Balboa Yacht Club, California
25 January 2008 | San Diego, California
23 January 2008 | Mission Bay, California
20 January 2008 | Public Docks, San Diego
18 January 2008 | Shelter Island, San Diego
18 January 2008 | San Diego, California
17 January 2008 | United States/Mexico Border
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
14 January 2008 | Sacramento Reef, Baja California
14 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | 60 Miles West of Turtle Bay
10 January 2008 | 130 Miles South of Cedros Island

Pirate Looks at Three

30 November 2007 | Punta Mita
Chris
We arrived to Punta Mita at about half past noon. We dropped the hook in about 20 feet of water, set up the dinghy, and rushed ashore to go find our friends Matt and Jill. They were staying at the Four Season in Punta Mita. We walked to the main gate of the Four Season where they asked us to wait until they found Matt and Jill. It turns out Matt and Jill were having lunch so we headed over to the restaurant. to meet them.

Jill' mother and step father were also there plus Matt's and Jill's son Mason. Jill's step father Jim has owned several very large wooden sailboats including the schooner "Kelpie". Jim and I chatted boats and racing boats for a while which is always interesting to me. He had rigged an asymmetrical spinnaker on the Kelpie for racing. Imagine big old-school wooden schooner blasting along at over 12 knots on a race course...must be really cool!

What a spread they were feasting on in such a gorgeous location overlooking the rocks and surf on the north western end of Punta Mita. I have not seen so much exquisitely presented food or variety of food on a single table in a long time but this is the Four Season. There was a beautiful large pacific red snapper cooked whole, my favorite. Almost all of it was gone except both cheeks which is my favorite part. I wanted to ask if I could have them but this is the first time I had met Jill's folks and I did not want to offend anyone.

Not expecting Matt and Jill to want to leave all of this opulence and especially because Jill is almost due with twins, we half heartily offered that if we hustled, they could all spend the night on Cisnecito at some nearby islands, the Islas Las Tres Marietas. It was getting late in the afternoon and not having a chart of these rocky islands we needed some light to find a suitable anchorage. Amazingly, without any hesitation or clarifying questions, they both wanted to go. It took less than 20 minutes for them to pack up themselves plus Mason for our adventure. Jill's mom also gave us a bunch of food from their villa which was very helpful.

On the way back to the boat we bought some turkey chorizo and veggies. Andrew was waiting by the dinghy. We informed him of the change in plans and he was excited too. The famous Banderas Bay sea breeze had died by the time we got underway so we had to motor. The Isla Marietas are about 8 miles from Punta Mita. We found a suitable anchorage on the south side of the middle of the three islands right where Charlie's Charts indicates there is an anchorage. It was very calm and the winds were light from the northerly quadrant.

We barbecued the chorizo and veggies on skewers. It was fun dinner with lively conversation. Matt is big surfer and kite boarder. He knows all of the good spots that we may pass on the way back to California so we had lots to talk about.

The best of all was Mason (pictured above with Matt). He likes all things pirates. To him Cisnecito is a pirate ship and the Islas Marietas, pirate islands. It would seem that a boat is a floating jungle gym for a three year old. You can swing on the dodger, crawl through the aft hatch, climb the companion way, and pee over the side. The only requirement is that you wear your life jacket when on deck. Of course he was slightly disappointed the Cisnecito did not have cold towels like the Four Season.

It was really fun watching him. Julie and I really hope to have some of our own soon. Hopefully our efforts bare fruit soon!

The picture above is from a small cove on the Islas La Marieta where we landed to explore a cave, fight with swords, and search for pirate's booty.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cisnecito
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 46 MkII
Hailing Port: Newport, RI
Crew: Julie and Chris Mays
Extra: After three years of freezing in New York, we decided to give up our corporate careers to set sail on the opportunity of a lifetime...
Home Page: http://www.cisnecito.com/

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI