Cisnecito Around the World

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI
02 February 2008 | Newport Beach, California
29 January 2008 | Newport Beach, CA
27 January 2008 | Balboa Yacht Club, California
25 January 2008 | San Diego, California
23 January 2008 | Mission Bay, California
20 January 2008 | Public Docks, San Diego
18 January 2008 | Shelter Island, San Diego
18 January 2008 | San Diego, California
17 January 2008 | United States/Mexico Border
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
14 January 2008 | Sacramento Reef, Baja California
14 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | 60 Miles West of Turtle Bay
10 January 2008 | 130 Miles South of Cedros Island

Nosy Sticky Mitsios

13 October 2006 | Nosy Mitsio, Madagascar
Chris
Well, our bubble was burst on the security of possessions in Madagascar. Pamina's outboard motor was stolen off their beached dinghy while in eyeshot of us as we walked along the beach. Henrietta, Julie and I had motored in to the long isolated beach on the west side of the island to go for a walk. Conner had stayed aboard Pamina because he had a piece of coral in his foot.

We landed the dinghy directly in front where we were anchored and in plain view from the deck of both. We had walked about a quarter of a mile down the beach snapping pictures and revelling in Nosy Mitsio's beauty and isolation.

When we turned around to walk back to the dinghy we noticed that the outboard was missing. We rushed back. It was locked but it had been wrenched off the transom. We could see the foot prints of the perpetrators in the sand. We followed one set of foot prints to a couple of small shacks. We asked the people if they had seen our outboard motor but they were very evasive which is not typical of Malagasy from our experience. Clearly they had seen what had happened or possibly participated but were not going to help us either way. One of the girls was even laughing haughtily at the situation.

We asked to speak to the chief but they indicated that there were no chiefs which was not true. We walked to the village at the far end of the beach and were able to speak with the chief who spent four hours looking for us, but unfortunately had no luck. The next day an outboard powered pirogue approached and seemed to be offering a chance to buy the outboard back but in the end they were only asking for a handout and claimed to have no idea what had happened to the outboard.

When we looked at our photos from the hike that evening, the funny thing is that you can just make out a person standing over the dinghy while we were in plain view. Unfortunately it was not enough to go on.

We decided to leave as we did not feel comfortable at this anchorage anymore. It was just too bold a theft for us to relax anchored that far out in rural Madagascar. The situation is really unfortunate because we have talked with several boats who had nothing but good experiences in Nosy Mitsio. The scenery is stunning and the friendly locals had been eager to trade big lobsters for t-shirts and glass jars.

We are certainly going to be more careful now. While most of the locals are friendly and honest, which I have witnessed after unintentionally overpaying for an item, we must remember that most are very materially poor, largely through no fault of their own. It seems that for some an outboard is an irresistible temptation.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cisnecito
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 46 MkII
Hailing Port: Newport, RI
Crew: Julie and Chris Mays
Extra: After three years of freezing in New York, we decided to give up our corporate careers to set sail on the opportunity of a lifetime...
Home Page: http://www.cisnecito.com/

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI