Cisnecito Around the World

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI
02 February 2008 | Newport Beach, California
29 January 2008 | Newport Beach, CA
27 January 2008 | Balboa Yacht Club, California
25 January 2008 | San Diego, California
23 January 2008 | Mission Bay, California
20 January 2008 | Public Docks, San Diego
18 January 2008 | Shelter Island, San Diego
18 January 2008 | San Diego, California
17 January 2008 | United States/Mexico Border
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
14 January 2008 | Sacramento Reef, Baja California
14 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | 60 Miles West of Turtle Bay
10 January 2008 | 130 Miles South of Cedros Island

Trading for Honey

20 October 2006 | Honey River
Juile
We anchored up Baramahamay Bay, also known as Honey River. It's a nice, wide river with a few shallow spots, but plenty deep for us and room for many boats. The main purpose for our stopping there was to trade for some of the local wild honey. In the morning we paddled to one of the small villages. We just happened to ask the right guy if he had any "miel" and he showed us to his hut where he had a barrel of it. Interestingly, the walls of his hut were covered with clippings from American magazines such as perfume ads with pretty women and covers from Time magazine. It would be interesting to hear his perception of America based on the magazines, but unfortunately communications were only the most basic. Anyway, we went back to the boats to get some things to trade for and returned to find that only wanted to give us one liter. Luke traded some nice clothes for the liter and we decided to move on to another village in search for more.

We stopped in the village across the river, very clean with nice huts and even a bar. We asked inside the bar for honey and they sent us to the next village down which was tiny, with not more than about 10 huts. We were able to find a woman selling honey for the equivalent of $1US for a 1/2 liter and that was enough for me. This village's main source of income however, is boatbuilding. There was quite an impressive boat in the works, made entirely by hand using local materials. We were told hat it takes two men three months to build one boat, which they, in turn, trade for food and materials for the village, presumably to last them for quite a while.

As for the honey, it is the best I've ever tasted. We are wishing we had bought more, but hope to find some more opportunities down the coast.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cisnecito
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 46 MkII
Hailing Port: Newport, RI
Crew: Julie and Chris Mays
Extra: After three years of freezing in New York, we decided to give up our corporate careers to set sail on the opportunity of a lifetime...
Home Page: http://www.cisnecito.com/

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI