Cisnecito Around the World

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI
02 February 2008 | Newport Beach, California
29 January 2008 | Newport Beach, CA
27 January 2008 | Balboa Yacht Club, California
25 January 2008 | San Diego, California
23 January 2008 | Mission Bay, California
20 January 2008 | Public Docks, San Diego
18 January 2008 | Shelter Island, San Diego
18 January 2008 | San Diego, California
17 January 2008 | United States/Mexico Border
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
14 January 2008 | Sacramento Reef, Baja California
14 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | 60 Miles West of Turtle Bay
10 January 2008 | 130 Miles South of Cedros Island

Abandoned Maximum Security Prison

24 October 2006 | Nosy Lava
Julie
We anchored off of Nosy Lava which had a beautiful large bay and great protection from the wind. However, we were the only ones there because there is a maximum security prison (which housed mainly murderers) on the island and the guide book ("East Africa Pilot") that we are all using warns against it. The guide tells the story of a yacht called Magic Carpet that anchored there in 1993 and two prisoners escaped, killed the owners of the boat and sailed it to the mainland. Indeed a scary story, but the prison was closed four years ago and since there have been no updates to the guide, people are still afraid to go there.

We paddled ashore and there was a keeper there who showed us around. The buildings were in a total state of disrepair -- hard to believe it only closed four years ago. We climbed through the window of the police station and were surprised to find all of the original records and files still there and in tact like they've never been disturbed. We were able to explore the entire grounds at our leisure - quite unusual but very fortunate.

After the prison, our guide took us on a brisk hike up the hill to the old lighthouse which offered the most incredible 360 degree view of Nosy Lava, the surrounding islands and the mainland. There are some living quarters, presumably used by the French while in control, and I can imagine it was quite a place to live back in its day. Come to think of it, if I had to be in prison, I'd say that this might be one of my top choices given the scenery. Of course, it's a long swim to the mainland, but there are always those unsuspecting yachties...

We wanted to thank our guide but hadn't brought anything ashore with us, as we hadn't expected to find anyone there, so we literally gave him the shirts off of our backs, for which he was very happy and appreciative. It seems he lives there with his wife and looks over the prison to keep out squatters, vandals, etc. He must be doing a good job as it really looks like nothing has been touched since the day it was closed.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cisnecito
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 46 MkII
Hailing Port: Newport, RI
Crew: Julie and Chris Mays
Extra: After three years of freezing in New York, we decided to give up our corporate careers to set sail on the opportunity of a lifetime...
Home Page: http://www.cisnecito.com/

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI