Cisnecito Around the World

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI
02 February 2008 | Newport Beach, California
29 January 2008 | Newport Beach, CA
27 January 2008 | Balboa Yacht Club, California
25 January 2008 | San Diego, California
23 January 2008 | Mission Bay, California
20 January 2008 | Public Docks, San Diego
18 January 2008 | Shelter Island, San Diego
18 January 2008 | San Diego, California
17 January 2008 | United States/Mexico Border
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
14 January 2008 | Sacramento Reef, Baja California
14 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | 60 Miles West of Turtle Bay
10 January 2008 | 130 Miles South of Cedros Island

We Arrived

17 February 2007 | Bahia de Salvador, Brazil
Chris
We moored stern to in Bahia Marina this morning. We had quite a time getting moored because there was a cross wind, we were tired, and we do not speak Portuguese. Fortunately everything worked out okay largely because of a very helpful French boat next to us.

After the boat was moored, we went ashore in search of customs, immigration, and the port captain. We were informed by the marina and an off duty policeman that none of these officials would be in their offices until Wednesday after Carnival, but it would be okay for us to go ashore. Or at least this is what we think they told us, as language continues to be a barrier. Frankly, I am not sure how we would have figured anything out with out Julie's Spanish, which Portuguese speakers understand on a limited basis.

We took a taxi in to the Pelourinho district which has charming old buildings and cobblestone streets. We walked around the busy streets preparing for the Carnival festivities beginning in the afternoon. Soon we found a restaurant that looked good and we had sun dried beef and fish moqueca. It was wonderful!

Later we found the elevator that connects the Pelourinho, which is on a hill, to the Comercio, which is adjacent to the waterfront and in walking distance to the Bahia Marina. We also checked out the Centro Nautico public marina, which looked like another viable option and more economical but less secure. As we walked around the Comercio, the Carnival processions were just getting started and there were many costumed men in drag wreaking havoc.

We got back to the boat and planned to head back out to the Pelourinho to watch the Carnival parades. Unfortunately it began to rain and our lack of sleep caught up to us, so we decided to call it an early night and join Carnival the following night.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cisnecito
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 46 MkII
Hailing Port: Newport, RI
Crew: Julie and Chris Mays
Extra: After three years of freezing in New York, we decided to give up our corporate careers to set sail on the opportunity of a lifetime...
Home Page: http://www.cisnecito.com/

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI