Cisnecito Around the World

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI
02 February 2008 | Newport Beach, California
29 January 2008 | Newport Beach, CA
27 January 2008 | Balboa Yacht Club, California
25 January 2008 | San Diego, California
23 January 2008 | Mission Bay, California
20 January 2008 | Public Docks, San Diego
18 January 2008 | Shelter Island, San Diego
18 January 2008 | San Diego, California
17 January 2008 | United States/Mexico Border
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
14 January 2008 | Sacramento Reef, Baja California
14 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | 60 Miles West of Turtle Bay
10 January 2008 | 130 Miles South of Cedros Island

Around (not up) Volcan Madera

28 October 2007 | Merida, Lake Nicaragua
Julie
We have been hoping to climb up Volcan Madera, but due to the recent rains, we've been told that the path is too muddy to make it to the top. So, instead, we decided to ride around it, a 38km ride all around the south part of the island of Ometepe.

We first rode up to El Porvenir to see the petroglyphs which are said to be between 3-4,000 years old. There was no record of what the symbols mean, but they were still neat to see. From there, we thought it might be fun to keep riding around the island. We asked the local groundkeeper if the road is good and he told us it is "perfecto"with only one hill.

Turns out the ride was more gueling than we had been led to believe - not really perfecto at all. The road was very rocky and steep in places. There was a ton of mud and puddles to cross, but it was also largely shaded in parts and the views were spectacular. At one point, we came across a woman in the back of a truck who sold us a bag of "pan pico" which we devoured, and then a tiny little market selling Fanta to complete the healthy meal.

We rode and rode along this path, through the tiny, remote villages of Balgue, La Palma, San Pedro and Tichana. These villages rarely see tourists, so they were all very friendly and we got hundreds of "holas". As we have seen for most of our travels in Nicaragua so far, the villages are all very neat and clean and they locals all seemed to be enjoying their weekend with the family.

Hot, exhausted and filthy, we arrived back to the Hacienda about five hours later and immediately jumped in the cold shower. Chris aksed me "can we be done with activities for the day?" - I conceded and we went for lunch and a nap.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cisnecito
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 46 MkII
Hailing Port: Newport, RI
Crew: Julie and Chris Mays
Extra: After three years of freezing in New York, we decided to give up our corporate careers to set sail on the opportunity of a lifetime...
Home Page: http://www.cisnecito.com/

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI