Cisnecito Around the World

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI
02 February 2008 | Newport Beach, California
29 January 2008 | Newport Beach, CA
27 January 2008 | Balboa Yacht Club, California
25 January 2008 | San Diego, California
23 January 2008 | Mission Bay, California
20 January 2008 | Public Docks, San Diego
18 January 2008 | Shelter Island, San Diego
18 January 2008 | San Diego, California
17 January 2008 | United States/Mexico Border
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
14 January 2008 | Sacramento Reef, Baja California
14 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | 60 Miles West of Turtle Bay
10 January 2008 | 130 Miles South of Cedros Island

Possible Weather Window

08 November 2007 | Gulf of Tehuantepec, Mexico
Chris
We left Puerto Madero this morning at about 6am for Huatulco. The Mexican Navy came to escort us out of the harbor. It was the same team that had searched us the evening before: eight men in combat gear with AK-47s (the weapon of choice for Central American militaries it seems) and a senior officer. They were very nice. However, there was some confusion as perhaps they had expected us to leave already. We thought we were supposed to wait for them in the morning. They came along side and waited for us to raise our anchor, set the main, and motor out of the harbor.

Our weather window to cross the Gulf of Tehuantepec is looking good for Friday midday. We have about one days sailing to get in to the Gulf. The Gulf of Tehuantepec is notorious for gale to storm force winds that can blow for weeks at a time kicking up dangerous sea conditions that are felt a couple hundred miles offshore. There are many stories of vessels being lost or severely damaged in these waters. So we plan to be careful.

There are two main strategies for yachts crossing the Gulf. One is to hug the shoreline so as to avoid the worst of the waves and deal with the wind which blows offshore. The other is to keep 500 miles from shore and hopefully avoid both wind and waves. We are opting for the first strategy as the second would require a fair amount of back tracking.

We have been diligently checking the weather for a period of reduced winds. For the last couple of weeks, it has been blowing a gale but, it is supposed to abate for a short period on Friday and again on Sunday. We watch weather faxes broadcasted via SSB from the U.S. Coast Guard in New Orleans and Point Reyes, California, and GRIB weather files using our radio email system. We also spoke to Don on Summer's Passage, in Oxnard California, by SSB this morning and he confirmed the window. Don is a cruiser who happens to be a weather guru and maintains daily radio schedules so that cruiser can get weather information.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cisnecito
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 46 MkII
Hailing Port: Newport, RI
Crew: Julie and Chris Mays
Extra: After three years of freezing in New York, we decided to give up our corporate careers to set sail on the opportunity of a lifetime...
Home Page: http://www.cisnecito.com/

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI