Cisnecito Around the World

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI
02 February 2008 | Newport Beach, California
29 January 2008 | Newport Beach, CA
27 January 2008 | Balboa Yacht Club, California
25 January 2008 | San Diego, California
23 January 2008 | Mission Bay, California
20 January 2008 | Public Docks, San Diego
18 January 2008 | Shelter Island, San Diego
18 January 2008 | San Diego, California
17 January 2008 | United States/Mexico Border
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada Mexico
17 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
16 January 2008 | Ensenada, Mexico
14 January 2008 | Sacramento Reef, Baja California
14 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | Islas San Benitos
12 January 2008 | 60 Miles West of Turtle Bay
10 January 2008 | 130 Miles South of Cedros Island

Out of Cabo

08 January 2008 | Cape Falso
Chris
We made Cabo San Lucas Yesterday afternoon. We anchored and hailed a water taxi to go get some fuel in our jerry cans. No need for a sailboat to go in to this marina if you can avoid it. It is a mad house in there. pangas, personal watercraft and thundering sport fishers all converge at speed in the small maneuvering area inside the breakwater. The term "wakeless" does not apply in Cabo. The anchorage is not as bad as I had imagined after reading Charlie's Charts and Captain Rains' Mexico Boating Guide. It was a little rolly but there was plenty of room to anchor just off the beach in front of all the large hotels. We made a quick kayak trip to the beach and through one of the hotels get some cash. This will probably be the last ATM for the next 700 miles. The strip of hotels reminded me of Las Vegas on the beach. Unfortunately, the weather was good for leaving this morning so we did not get a chance to explore any further.

At first light we lifted the anchor and motored toward Cabo Falso which is just about the southern most tip of Baja California. Captain Jim Elpher's book "The Baja Bash II" suggests that you round the cape with your mainsail down in order to avoid flogging it to death. This was good advice for us as turning around the cape is very gradual and the wind wraps around it so you bow is directly in to the wind for about an hour. Incidentally, "The Baja Bash II" is a great guide and very funny and entertaining, especially Jim's description of the typical cruiser which hits dead center.

The wind increased from 10 to 15 knots as we rounded the cape. Soon it veered and we could set the mainsail. I spoke to Don on Summer's Passage via SSB and he suggested heading 50 miles offshore if we wanted to try to sail up the coast. He has done this trip 30 some times so maybe he knows something. We tried to get off shore but the wind backed in the early afternoon and the waves were head on and growing. It looked like a lot more fun to close reach along the coast almost parallel to the waves. We flopped over and sailed with good speed parallel to the coast.
Comments
Vessel Name: Cisnecito
Vessel Make/Model: Swan 46 MkII
Hailing Port: Newport, RI
Crew: Julie and Chris Mays
Extra: After three years of freezing in New York, we decided to give up our corporate careers to set sail on the opportunity of a lifetime...
Home Page: http://www.cisnecito.com/

Who: Julie and Chris Mays
Port: Newport, RI