For As Long As It Lasts

11 May 2013 | Kingston
29 April 2013 | Kingston/Toronto
22 April 2013 | Inverary, Ontario
22 April 2013 | Kingston
17 April 2013 | Kingston
12 April 2013 | Kingston
10 April 2013 | Kingston
28 March 2013 | Kingston
23 March 2013 | Kingston
13 March 2013 | Kingston
10 March 2013 | Kingston
28 February 2013 | Kingston
27 February 2013 | Kingston
19 February 2013 | Kingston
14 February 2013 | Kingston
09 February 2013 | Kingston
06 February 2013 | Kingston
05 February 2013 | Kingston
02 February 2013
31 January 2013 | Kingston

Another goal achieved

23 May 2010 | Georgetown
Jennifer
Another goal achieved

Since the Saturday Farmers Market opened in April in Georgetown I've wanted to go. I miss going to the Kingston Farmers Market which is outstanding. Back home all the baby lettuces/ garlic scapes, Herbs, and rhubarb are starting to be sold. On Saturdays here at the marina the courtesy car is used almost continuously by fisher(men)people, dragging in and out their sport fishing boats so the courtesy car is deemed unavailable to the likes of someone like me just wanting fresh vegetables from the Farmers Market. So although I am not in the best cycling condition, I decided I would satisfy my Farmers Market urge and ride my fold up bike the 7 miles into Georgetown and see what their wares were. Yes folks 7 miles in, 7 miles back for a total of 14 miles and I did it. Al was not in support of this and tried to discourage me but it didn't work. It took me 1 hour to get to G-town and 1 hour 15 minutes to get home. Admittedly I was very weary on the trip back and was dotted with blood from horse fly bites. I wasn't confident enough to ride one handed to swat them off so I elected to endure the bites. I was rather exhilarated on the way in, of course it was early and my energy seemed good. My brain flooded with memories of great rides long past. I had forgotten how much you get to see on a bike, the sounds and the smells. As I got closer to G-town I was full of adrenaline knowing I had made it at least one way. I found what I thought was a safe place to lock up the wheels. I then walked to the Kudzo bakery for some fuel (raison oatmeal cookies, yum), then went to their mercantile shop to get a small green colander I had seen on a previous trip and I picked up a red skinny scraper. Of course I couldn't visit town and not visit the yarn shop. I inquired about some needle felting tools and triangle loom information but it is a town of no weavers I was told. No worries, lots of life ahead to explore that fibre art. Then I made the ½ mile walk to the end of Front St. to the Farmers Market. Much smaller than at home but there was a selection of fresh veggies. The closest to fresh baby lettuce I saw was mustard greens and the vendor didn't think they were for salad? (Guess that's a Google project.) After browsing the stalls and calculating the space in my back pack. I settled on 6 small red potatoes and a bunch of beets. I needed to save room for milk. I was wishing I had brought the larger back pack, but in the end I was glad I hadn't put more weight on my shoulders. I walked the ½ mile back to center town, I stood at the intersection of Front and the yarn store and had a mild panic when I realized the difficult part of my trip had ascended upon me....."Where had I locked my bike?" It's at moments like this I get gently reminded why I am not capable of returning to work.
I was pretty sure I left it water side and in shade, so I started to look down every walkway towards the water boardwalk. On the 2nd entrance I found it. Luckily Al had bungeed the lock key to my wrist so locating the key was easy for me. I geared up and off I took, it was noon and very hot so I faded but I kept plugging along. I was glad to see the gates of Belle Isle.
Dinner Sat night was tuna and fresh beet greens and key lime pie. We walked up to see some of the weighing in from the fishing tournament. It had been a successful day for the fisher people, and for me.
Comments
Vessel Name: Close Knit
Vessel Make/Model: Marine Trader Double Cabin
Hailing Port: Kingston, Ontario
Crew: Al, Jennifer & Bridget.
About: Ex sailboat couple from S/V Ruth. Continuing our trip down south, in a little more comfort (& alot more work!)
Extra:
Alistair and Jennifer are a couple who met in 2007 after Jennifer survived a stroke in early 2006 and lost her husband to cancer the same year. Al had been a life long sailor and after dating several months Al suggested a lifestyle on a boat, cruising. Jennifer had no sailing experience and was [...]

Who: Al, Jennifer & Bridget.
Port: Kingston, Ontario