For As Long As It Lasts

11 May 2013 | Kingston
29 April 2013 | Kingston/Toronto
22 April 2013 | Inverary, Ontario
22 April 2013 | Kingston
17 April 2013 | Kingston
12 April 2013 | Kingston
10 April 2013 | Kingston
28 March 2013 | Kingston
23 March 2013 | Kingston
13 March 2013 | Kingston
10 March 2013 | Kingston
28 February 2013 | Kingston
27 February 2013 | Kingston
19 February 2013 | Kingston
14 February 2013 | Kingston
09 February 2013 | Kingston
06 February 2013 | Kingston
05 February 2013 | Kingston
02 February 2013
31 January 2013 | Kingston

Finally moved the boat

01 June 2010 | Hazard Marine Georgetown
We had a small break in the weather & we managed to bust out of Belle Isle, did a perfect reverse out of the slip & made it to Hazard with all systems ok. We are currently tied up on the main dock, waiting for lunch to be over & for the other boat in the lift to be chocked up. Then its our turn. We made contact with fellow Canadians Janice & Harley (s/v Blue Blazes), who we met way back last year in Elizabeth City. They are anchored out here, waiting to hear from the transport company, as they are going to truck the boat home, doing the ICW again? No thanks. We should be meeting up with them this afternoon. I have to say it was exciting to be back moving on the water, even if only for a short time, I was a little nervous as it was the first time we have moved the boat, Jennifer says my hands was shaking on the steering wheel!!

Jennifer's version

Bill and Karen had wanted to see us off but when we got the weather break Al wanted to bust then and there. I asked what my job was and I was to "fend off". So with pole in hand I took my position in the stern. Al put her in reverse and as I saw the opposing dock inching closer I suddenly became aware of how much boat we now owned. I feared I would never be able to fend Close Knit off if Al didn't turn or go forward soon. I started to say out loud, Go forward, go forward, not sure if it was more for Al or me. Close Knit started to inch forward and we cleared all pilings with ease. I did a mental checklist of my previous sailboat jobs. I pulled up the fenders, which are much larger than on Ruth I then headed towards the bow to see how Al was doing. His hands were indeed shaking on the steering wheel, but he was doing a fabulous job. The ride was smooth and it was so nice to be inside standing near each other, the feeling confirmed this was the way I wanted to travel from here on. As we entered the Georgetown harbor we passed one more alligator, just for fun I guess. I was becoming anxious for our first docking experience. Al told me to throw the spring line first "so the dock hand could use it to stop us" (WTF). I then remembered just in time to put out the fenders. It turned out the docking was so smooth it could easily have been done with just the bow line. Al was a born natural. This tiny shake down cruise has me excited to take off for greater places. So fun and comfortable being "trawler trash".
Comments
Vessel Name: Close Knit
Vessel Make/Model: Marine Trader Double Cabin
Hailing Port: Kingston, Ontario
Crew: Al, Jennifer & Bridget.
About: Ex sailboat couple from S/V Ruth. Continuing our trip down south, in a little more comfort (& alot more work!)
Extra:
Alistair and Jennifer are a couple who met in 2007 after Jennifer survived a stroke in early 2006 and lost her husband to cancer the same year. Al had been a life long sailor and after dating several months Al suggested a lifestyle on a boat, cruising. Jennifer had no sailing experience and was [...]

Who: Al, Jennifer & Bridget.
Port: Kingston, Ontario