For As Long As It Lasts

11 May 2013 | Kingston
29 April 2013 | Kingston/Toronto
22 April 2013 | Inverary, Ontario
22 April 2013 | Kingston
17 April 2013 | Kingston
12 April 2013 | Kingston
10 April 2013 | Kingston
28 March 2013 | Kingston
23 March 2013 | Kingston
13 March 2013 | Kingston
10 March 2013 | Kingston
28 February 2013 | Kingston
27 February 2013 | Kingston
19 February 2013 | Kingston
14 February 2013 | Kingston
09 February 2013 | Kingston
06 February 2013 | Kingston
05 February 2013 | Kingston
02 February 2013
31 January 2013 | Kingston

Road to Recovery

29 June 2012 | Kingston, Ontario
Jennifer-proving to be nice

I'm posting this early before I go to KGH to see what this day brings. Yesterday morning I was feeling pretty discouraged. There had been no improvement in Al's condition and the neurosurgeon (not his) in charge of yesterdays rounds was not sounding very encouraging. It was confirmed Al has aphasia (google it, basically the inability to talk often because of a brain insult of some kind).

However, by around 2 p.m. yesterday Al tried to say his first words. They were not perfect, but he was trying to communicate and that was a huge step forward. We know he has feeling in his right arm and leg but there is still no voluntary movement there.

Early last evening I had a visit from his own Neurosurgeon, Dr. Wallace, and I must say as far as physicians go, he has the best bed side manner of any I have ever met. He took time to speak to me, and to Al. Answered all my concerns and was not rushed at all. He suggested that we try to word our communication with Al so he can answer with a yes or a no in this early phase of Al exploring his language. Dr. Wallace also explained that the hypothalamus and pituitary have been affected. Actually his words were "they seem to be on a holiday" and so the fluids in Al's body were going a bit crazy. This has been corrected with hormones.

A feeding tube was also inserted through his nose to his stomach yesterday for nutrition. Because he is not talking they can not determine if he can swallow so he can't eat. Over the next several days, depending on progress the feeding tube may be inserted via an incision in his side. This would make it easier for Al to speak and help the professionals monitor his swallowing ability.

Now the GOOD stuff is, Dr. Wallace still feels confident (and in his experience) that this is all related to the brain swelling and as that subsides we should see improvement. So with that in mind, I am anxious to get back to the hospital to see what ground we cover today.

Al did show his humourous side yesterday and when he was asked to stick out his tongue, he was able to. Now to show displeasure or sarcasm to us he will stick out his tongue. A very good indicator that most of our communication can be non-verbal. He responds to commands and he proved he can still pucker up for a kiss.

Dr.Wallace told us both this recovery was going to be hard work and he asked Al to try to stay positive and not "lose his noodle" during this process.

Both of Al's daughters arrived last night and they will stay for a few days. Al seemed delighted to see them.

During this time Miss Bridget has joined the Crew at my daughters, and although she seems exited to see me, she is having an absolute blast with her (technically) neices and nephews, and running in the yard.


Onward and upward.
Comments
Vessel Name: Close Knit
Vessel Make/Model: Marine Trader Double Cabin
Hailing Port: Kingston, Ontario
Crew: Al, Jennifer & Bridget.
About: Ex sailboat couple from S/V Ruth. Continuing our trip down south, in a little more comfort (& alot more work!)
Extra:
Alistair and Jennifer are a couple who met in 2007 after Jennifer survived a stroke in early 2006 and lost her husband to cancer the same year. Al had been a life long sailor and after dating several months Al suggested a lifestyle on a boat, cruising. Jennifer had no sailing experience and was [...]

Who: Al, Jennifer & Bridget.
Port: Kingston, Ontario