For As Long As It Lasts

11 May 2013 | Kingston
29 April 2013 | Kingston/Toronto
22 April 2013 | Inverary, Ontario
22 April 2013 | Kingston
17 April 2013 | Kingston
12 April 2013 | Kingston
10 April 2013 | Kingston
28 March 2013 | Kingston
23 March 2013 | Kingston
13 March 2013 | Kingston
10 March 2013 | Kingston
28 February 2013 | Kingston
27 February 2013 | Kingston
19 February 2013 | Kingston
14 February 2013 | Kingston
09 February 2013 | Kingston
06 February 2013 | Kingston
05 February 2013 | Kingston
02 February 2013
31 January 2013 | Kingston

Rollercoaster

05 July 2012 | Kingston, Ontario
Jennifer

The last week has been quite a ride. I did not ride the bike yesterday because I stayed over at Kiley's. Bridget and Charlie both slept with me. For a 32 pound dog Charles can take up a lot of real estate. And I did not get a good sleep. I was already wiped and the heat would likely have put me over the top had I rode my bike. Briget has become quite close with Charlie and she does what ever he does. They are just hanging out on the bed together.

I arrived at the hospital to find Al had removed his own feeding tube during the night. A physician had been called to re-insert a new one. I was upset by this. Today he gets his PEG tube put into his stomach. It seemed a shame to put him through this insertion.

Yesterday was my unraveling day. I was quite emotional and losing my grip. I walked to SMOL to check on Al's consult request and then melted down in a good friend's office. My dear friend offered me a ride home. I had a good cry, a wee nap, ate some lunch glued myself back together and took the bus back to the hospital.

Al was more alert by the time I returned but would not communicate only by shaking yes or no, but not verbally. He went off to have a CT scan. The physiotherapist was trying to get him to participate in his physio as this is a requirement to be admitted to rehab. He was lifted into the chair and I took him to the sunroom for about 40 minutes. This was tiring. When he got back in bed he seemed to be trying to place his left leg out on the floor and was pulling up on the side rails. I rung his nurse to see if we could try to sit him bedside as this is what I thought he was wanting to try. The nurse was not keen to try but Dave, his strapping PCA (personal car assistant), supported trying just to keep Al motivated. So Al was sitting for a brief time, legs hanging down. He was not well balanced but he did help by hanging onto the rails and tried supporting himself. He is extremely weak after all he has been out of it for 7 days now. I felt this was a tiny step in the right direction.

This morning he is to have his feeding tube moved directly into his stomach (PEG). And I should hear today what the CT scan showed from yesterday.

Any one wanting to visit should hold off, really he is not visiting material. It is hard to tell if visitors perk him up or really just make his situation worse.

We are in a new day, lets see how this one goes.
Comments
Vessel Name: Close Knit
Vessel Make/Model: Marine Trader Double Cabin
Hailing Port: Kingston, Ontario
Crew: Al, Jennifer & Bridget.
About: Ex sailboat couple from S/V Ruth. Continuing our trip down south, in a little more comfort (& alot more work!)
Extra:
Alistair and Jennifer are a couple who met in 2007 after Jennifer survived a stroke in early 2006 and lost her husband to cancer the same year. Al had been a life long sailor and after dating several months Al suggested a lifestyle on a boat, cruising. Jennifer had no sailing experience and was [...]

Who: Al, Jennifer & Bridget.
Port: Kingston, Ontario