For As Long As It Lasts

11 May 2013 | Kingston
29 April 2013 | Kingston/Toronto
22 April 2013 | Inverary, Ontario
22 April 2013 | Kingston
17 April 2013 | Kingston
12 April 2013 | Kingston
10 April 2013 | Kingston
28 March 2013 | Kingston
23 March 2013 | Kingston
13 March 2013 | Kingston
10 March 2013 | Kingston
28 February 2013 | Kingston
27 February 2013 | Kingston
19 February 2013 | Kingston
14 February 2013 | Kingston
09 February 2013 | Kingston
06 February 2013 | Kingston
05 February 2013 | Kingston
02 February 2013
31 January 2013 | Kingston

Hakuna Matata

10 March 2013 | Kingston
Jennifer


John and I left early last Sunday for Florida and returned yesterday around 2p.m.. No trouble at the border I might add, either leaving or returning. It was a whirlwind trip, but everything was accomplished. We arrived at Bob and Jane’s (Last Dance) at 1 on Monday afternoon. We stretched our legs, had the afternoon to visit. Bob and John chatted like two old friends. It was nice for me to spend time with Miss Jane, I have missed her. We enjoyed a lovely steak dinner. After a good night’s rest we busted and traveled about 10 hours to Port Charlotte, where Close Knit is on the hard. We met Andre (Mystic Bond) at the locker on Wednesday morning. Andre and Olga had kindly and most efficiently packed up the boat contents for me after I could not do it in January when Al had his critical hospital admission. I made unemotional decisions about what to keep and what was going to Goodwill. In the end Johns small covered ½ tonne truck was about half full of bins of clothing, and knitting paraphernalia.

We then moved next door to the boat yard for a walk through of the boat. I was glad for the sunglasses I was wearing when I could feel my eyes watering up as emotion hit me with the realization that continuing the dream was gone. I kicked in the stoic gene from my mother and bucked up to meet the reality. By the time I was climbing the ladder on the aft deck, knowing this would likely be my last time on board, I had gained composure. The boat looked pristine. A huge shout out and thank you to Olga and Andre for stepping up and doing all they did for Al and for me. It is amazing the bonds you can form in a small west coast bay in Florida. Boaters ROCK. In an unexpected moment of sentimentality I swept up about four items I thought I might like to keep. One being the pottery bowl of a knitting crab , made by Darby Bayly. It’s a one of a kind and totally a me item.

While at the boat I met with Tod the broker. He is excited and confident the boat will sell. We next went to the marine trade store where some items had been taken for sale by consignment. I decided to take the kayak over to Palm Coast where Meg agreed to take it back. John, Andre and I were so efficient in our work that John and I had some relax time before our invite aboard Mystic Bond for drinks. John got to see Fishermans Village and what an upscale boat can look like.

Neighbors of John’s were vacationing in their newly purchased home in Fort Myers and we were invited to join them for dinner. After a tour of their gorgeous home we were taken to their complex’s club restaurant for dinner. All along the way I had been introducing John to our friends and it was his turn to introduce me to some fantastic people.

Thursday morning we were on the road to Palm Coast at 7. We arrived at Palm Coast at 11. We had a chat with Sue and Lou of Tigger and we sat and had a visit with Pete and Pokey (Prim) and the boyz Blackie and Red. It was nice to get caught up on all the PCM news. We unloaded the kayak for Meg and we were on our way north by 3 p.m. We were concerned about the eastern seaboard weather and made a bee line home. Fortunately we were behind the bad weather and we saw sunny skies and dry roads all the way home.

Tonia made out with really no problems with Al. I guess the nurse had to be called once for a catheter issue. But mostly all was well. I am very grateful Tonia could be here while I was away. And I will forever be thankful to my big brother for all he has done for me and for Al.

Between great family and wonderful boating friends we have “no worries”.
Comments
Vessel Name: Close Knit
Vessel Make/Model: Marine Trader Double Cabin
Hailing Port: Kingston, Ontario
Crew: Al, Jennifer & Bridget.
About: Ex sailboat couple from S/V Ruth. Continuing our trip down south, in a little more comfort (& alot more work!)
Extra:
Alistair and Jennifer are a couple who met in 2007 after Jennifer survived a stroke in early 2006 and lost her husband to cancer the same year. Al had been a life long sailor and after dating several months Al suggested a lifestyle on a boat, cruising. Jennifer had no sailing experience and was [...]

Who: Al, Jennifer & Bridget.
Port: Kingston, Ontario