Cloud Messenger

Vessel Name: Cloud Messenger
Vessel Make/Model: Pacific Seacraft / Crealock 37
Hailing Port: San Francisco
Crew: David and Cheryl Schachter, Ali Baba
About: Happily married couple. He's a sailor, she and the dog are not.
03 May 2010 | Big Major's
18 April 2010
12 April 2010 | Sampson Cay
05 April 2010 | Bennett's Harbour, Cat Island
04 April 2010 | Bennett's Harbour, Cat Island
29 March 2010 | Cat Island
25 March 2010 | Conception Island
23 March 2010 | San Salvador Island
14 March 2010 | Rum Cay
12 March 2010 | Rum Cay
08 March 2010 | Rum Cay
04 March 2010 | Sand Dollar Beach, Georgetown
02 March 2010 | Sand Dollar Beach, Georgetown, Great Exuma Island
28 February 2010 | Thompson Bay, Long Island
22 February 2010 | Calabash Bay, Long Island
18 February 2010 | Emerald Bay
14 February 2010 | Little Farmer's Cay
11 February 2010 | Staniel Cay
09 February 2010 | Little Farmer's Cay
08 February 2010 | Little Farmer's Cay
Recent Blog Posts
03 May 2010 | Big Major's

Men's Adventures

David has been remiss. Apparently he is having too much fun to keep you all informed and update the blog. So if you don't mind your news second hand, here goes. After I left the boat David sailed single-handed down to Little Farmer's Cay. "Blue Blaze" and "Joyous" sailed there as well. Jason would [...]

18 April 2010

Stateside for the Crew

The last few days on the boat were bittersweet. I had fun hanging out with everyone in Sampson Cay. The snorkeling was enthusiastic if not real spectacular. I did see some new creatures including a Peacock Flounder. We spent one day just hanging on the beach in a thatch covered gazebo, playing volleyball, [...]

12 April 2010 | Sampson Cay

Armada Reunited

We left Cat Island and sailed to Warderick Wells, the main area for the Exuma Land and Sea Park. The park is like an underwater zoo. No one is allowed to fish there, even in the surrounding waters, so the sealife is abundant. The day we arrived Laura and I snorkeled within sight of the headquarters. [...]

05 April 2010 | Bennett's Harbour, Cat Island

Bonefish Zoo

Each day starts with David tuning into the Chris Parker weather forecast on the SSB but immediately after he begins his collecting and adjusting of the numerous needs for the day of bonefishing. Rods and lines and flies and infinity other paraphernalia gets gently packed up. A piece of fruit and a cheese sandwich get tucked into his pocket and he's off. Not to be seen until dinnertime. It is so great to see him return, relaxed, happy and fished out---for the day anyway. Over dinner Jason and David excitedly tell fish stories from that day's adventure. Yesterday as they walked the flats a Lemon shark started up the stream straight for David. Usually harmless, this one kept coming closer and closer to David's bare feet in the water. Just as the shark got too close David pointed his rod down into the water and shook the tip to distract the shark and hopefully lure him in another direction. The shark instantly jerked his head toward the splashing water and snapped off the tip of the rod with a slash of its razor teeth! Good thing it wasn't David's toe! But not so good that it was one of David's fly rods! Luckily he has other tips on the boat and the repair was simple. They even had extra rods in the dinghy so it barely even cut into the day's fishing time. Yesterday morning, Laura and I snorkeled the reefs North of the anchorage and although the fish population was not very big it was good because it got me looking closer at the smaller sea life and I saw amazing little things. Laura found some incredible shells. I saw a Cow Fish and a Bristle Worm. Two things to check off my list of first time fish sightings. Then in the afternoon we went ashore and walked on the road for a bit admiring the flowers and the many stonework house ruins. We stopped in at the local roadside "bar" where we chatted with the locals. They convinced us to try the "bush medicine" they have bottled. They swear they drink a little everyday for good health but one tiny, tiny sip was enough for me to know I'd rather be unhealthy! Yuck! They have a variety for woman and a variety for men. Amidst much giggling and blushing they related that the men's variety is suppose to make them extra virile. We asked if it is suppose to work like the conch pizel and they laughed and agreed. You could see them chortling and shaking their heads wondering how us silly cruisers knew about the conch's Viagra like potential. Anyway, they invited us to their Easter celebration to be held the next day in the afternoon on the beach right in front of our boats. We told them we wouldn't miss it and headed back to the boat for our own private Easter dinner. We had the last of the lobster since the season ended on April 1st. We saved the last two HUGE tails for the dinner. We ate until we could barely move. This morning, Monday, the men headed off again to tame the elusive bonefish population and Laura and I snorkeled the South side of the anchorage including the wreck inside the government dock area. Just as we were returning to the dinghy I dove down to pick up a conch. As I slowly rose toward the surface I suddenly realized there were two ENORMOUS Eagle Rays swimming right behind me! It was like being snuck up on by a baby elephant. I actually squeaked with mild terror just at the sheer size of the creature lurking directly in my wake. I caught my breath and moved calmly towards the dinghy, swimming along with my new large friends. As I reached the dinghy I was amazed to peer through the crystal water and see an entire congregation of Eagle Rays moving out of the channel and right by me. Fifteen, probably closer to twenty, Eagle Rays of varying sizes silently glided past; beautiful ghostly birds of the sea. Just then Laura arrived back at the boat, just in time to witness the quiet underwater parade of spotted giants. Well satisfied with our adventure for the day we headed back to the boat for lunch and to get ready for the beach party this afternoon. Even the guys will be returning early to join us on the sand for some local festivities.

04 April 2010 | Bennett's Harbour, Cat Island

Cat Island

We survived the wind driven chop that caused a rolling, bouncing anchorage at New Bight, Cat Island. So we were glad to move on to Fernandez Bay where we were more protected and the boat lay calmly in the water. This bay curves gently up to the powdery sand beach of an old established resort, Fernandez [...]

29 March 2010 | Cat Island

Conception to Cat Island

The weather has been completely cooperative here on Conception Island. Each morning starts with a beautiful sky, azure seas stretching as far as you can see in three directions and a silky, white sand beach sparkles in

Sandbar

08 March 2010 | Rum Cay
Cheryl/Sunny, windy
Jeanette arrived early in the evening on a perfectly lovely day. The wind was still a bit high so her first adventure was to ride in the dinghy through choppy water. Nothing like getting wet right away. Her expectations were nicely lowered immediately so that the rest of her trip could only get better. Ali was SO excited to see Jeanette that he could hardly contain himself. It was heartwarming. We had dinner that first night on "Freedom" and it was a lively, fun introduction to our sailing crew. By the time we made it back to the boat that night Jeanette was suitably worn out from the travel and excitement. I showed off my mad dinghy skills the next day and took Jeanette into town. We shopped for a few things and checked out some of the gift stores. We met everyone else for lunch at The Peace and Plenty which is a quaint hotel which used to be the sight of a slave auction house. Lots of history. That night was dinner on "Freedom" again. They frequently get the crowds because their boat is the biggest and we all fit nicely. Such gracious hosts.
The next day Laura, from "Blue Blaze", Jeanette and I went snorkeling. We didn't bother easing J in. We anchored the dinghy off a reef in the middle of a channel. Yeehaw! I have started marking the fish I see in an identification book on board and am getting to recognize quite a few by now. After our sporty adventure and J's first on deck shower we headed into town with Laura. In the meantime, Jason and David went off to walk the flats and do some bonefishing. Everywhere in the Bahamas has crystal clear shallow waters with blindingly white sand. The perfect habitat for the elusive bonefish. While in town the three of us hatched a plan for Jeanette to return to the states from San Salvador and for Laura and me to go along for the ride as far as Nassau. We would have a girl's night out in the big city. With the plans all set we were able to get ready to sail the next day. First stop would be Conception Island and then on to San Salvador. That night we had a lovely dinner on "Cloud Messenger". It is a tight fit to have that many people in our little boat but it wasn't too snug. Alan from "Joyous" joined us and agreed to come along with us on our next adventure. He is currently single-handing his 45 foot boat. He is an interesting, intelligent, funny guy and a welcome addition to our clan. We had a great time with great people and great food..once again. We set out the next morning, sadly leaving "Freedom" behind for now. It was a wild ride to Conception and certainly fulfilled J's taste for adventure. We were in 7-8 ft. swells and bobbed around like corks for a grueling 6 hours. When we anchored, the island was beautiful but the wind was still steadily blowing and there was some surge in the anchorage causing the boats to rock and toss a bit. We took Ali to the beach and noticed huge coral heads and reefs all around the island. We definitely plan to return and snorkel those inviting places but not in the conditions present at that moment, plus we needed to forge on to get all us girls to our upcoming flight. We had dinner on Joyous that night, filling in as the new biggest boat in our Armada. The next morning despite ominous squally looking clouds in the distance we started out for San Salvador. Only about an hour into the sail we all conferred over the radio and decided getting to San Salvador was not going to be possible. The wind direction was bad for entering the marina there and the anchorages would not give us the protection we needed. By consensus we agreed to make a shorter trip to Rum Cay (our destination way back when Glenda and David were with us). So we arrived yesterday early afternoon in Rum Cay. The water in the anchorage was unbelievable. Shockingly green water with dark ribbons of blue flowing through. The beaches sparkle with white, smooth sand and the houses all look well kept and colorful. The challenge now was to somehow get Laura, Jeanette and me to San Salvador by 11:00 the next morning for our flight. No commercial flights fly between Rum and San Salvador. We dinghied into the marina and as we left the water and started by foot down the dirt road, we were offered a ride, as luck would have it, by a local and his friend--- a pilot! Ha. They gave us a ride to the SandBar (a bar) and dropped us off with promises to come back with ideas on how to get to the other island by morning. Just as its name states the bar floor is sand. I bought a round for the bar which made us instant heroes and well liked. A drink for everyone was a total, with tip, of only 20.00! We happily waited around, dancing with the locals, drinking copious amounts and playing some pretty fun, although truly amateur, pool while Ali melted hearts. The vodka cranberry drinks J and I ordered came with two glasses of ice, a can of cranberry juice and a pint Gin bottle actually filled with Vodka. Simply bizarre. But, true to their word the local dudes showed up later, the pilot had rearranged his plans and would deliver us to San Salvador the next morning in time for our flight. We all stumbled down to our dinghies being raucous, loud, happy tourists. We couldn't have been too obnoxious considering it was all of 8:30 when we arrived back on the boat. So tomorrow morning we will get packed up and take our private plane to our next adventure.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups
SailBlogs Friends
Jade
Journey