Sail Away with Second Wind..

15 October 2009 | Avalon, Catalina
12 October 2009 | Avalon, Catalina Island
10 October 2009 | Oceanside, CA
06 June 2009 | San Diego
19 February 2009 | San Diego, CA
13 January 2009 | San Diego, CA
07 September 2008 | Two Harbors, Catalina
15 August 2008 | San Diego, CA
02 August 2008 | 9:30pm, moored at Two Harbors
22 July 2008 | San Diego, CA
19 July 2008 | San Diego, CA
31 May 2008 | On our way to San Diego
29 May 2008 | San Diego, CA
28 May 2008 | San Diego, CA
26 May 2008 | 1:30pm, docked at Marina Coral
25 May 2008 | 9:00pm, anchored at Puerto Santo Tomas
24 May 2008 | 2:00pm, anchored at San Quintin
24 May 2008 | 3:30pm, underway to San Quintin
22 May 2008 | 5:00pm, at anchor in Turtle Bay
21 May 2008 | 7:00pm, at anchor in Turtle Bay

Insights..

29 May 2008 | San Diego, CA
Melissa
Now that we're back home and we got a decent nights sleep, I thought I would elaborate a little about our experience. Would we make the same decision to do the trip knowing what we know now?
Answer is...Oh yes!

This trip was a great experience. We enjoyed the challenge of the trip, the people we met, and the Mexican culture.

In terms of challenge, it seemed like every day was a new adventure. As you probably noticed in our blog entries, we did a lot of problem solving along the way. Invariably things would go wrong at the worst times. Who would've thought we would've had to jump start our boat in an anchorage in the middle of nowhere? And, that was just the tip of the iceberg. In addition, on the trip we constantly learned more about the conditions that we could handle and the boat could handle.

We met a lot of wonderful people on our trip. It was not uncommon to meet new friends or "neighbors" in the anchorage one day and have dinner together the next. When you're on dry land, how long does it take to have dinner at a neighbors house after you move in? Too long! With cruisers, it's not the case. We met people who had sailed around the world...those who had lived / retired on their boats for years....or those who were just cruising Mexico for the season (like us)!

We enjoyed the Mexican culture. We found Mexicans to be very warm and friendly people with family at the center of their lives. In the small villages, many families barely had a roof over their heads yet they would bend over backwards to share their country and culture with us. We are humbled and honored for the experience. We would give toys, school supplies, or candy to the Mexican children but we wished we could've given more...

This experience is one we hope not to forget anytime soon. It will be nice to reflect on this experience well into the future. I think it's made me a better person...a better friend, daughter, sister, wife, etc.

And with that here is a little tally with some metrics about our trip.
On our Mexican adventure we..
-Traveled 4,314 miles

and we used...
- 325 gallons of diesel to run the engine
- 5 gallons of gasoline for our dingy outboard
- 25lbs of propane for cooking
- 680 gallons of fresh water for drinking, cooking, etc.
- 130 gallons of non potable water for cleaning (excluding our time at a marina)

So what's next? For us, we're going back to work and the "real world", but our lives will never be the same..
Comments
Vessel Name: Second Wind
Vessel Make/Model: 2000 Beneteau 331
Hailing Port: San Diego
Crew: Cory & Melissa
About:
If you've considered cruising, but never had the ability to cut the ties to land, contemplate this quote from Mark Twain....."Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. [...]

Who: Cory & Melissa
Port: San Diego