Sail Away with Second Wind..

15 October 2009 | Avalon, Catalina
12 October 2009 | Avalon, Catalina Island
10 October 2009 | Oceanside, CA
06 June 2009 | San Diego
19 February 2009 | San Diego, CA
13 January 2009 | San Diego, CA
07 September 2008 | Two Harbors, Catalina
15 August 2008 | San Diego, CA
02 August 2008 | 9:30pm, moored at Two Harbors
22 July 2008 | San Diego, CA
19 July 2008 | San Diego, CA
31 May 2008 | On our way to San Diego
29 May 2008 | San Diego, CA
28 May 2008 | San Diego, CA
26 May 2008 | 1:30pm, docked at Marina Coral
25 May 2008 | 9:00pm, anchored at Puerto Santo Tomas
24 May 2008 | 2:00pm, anchored at San Quintin
24 May 2008 | 3:30pm, underway to San Quintin
22 May 2008 | 5:00pm, at anchor in Turtle Bay
21 May 2008 | 7:00pm, at anchor in Turtle Bay

Weekend at Catalina

02 August 2008 | 9:30pm, moored at Two Harbors
It's been so long since I've updated the blog via our HAM radio, that I nearly forgot how! Ok, so maybe my memory is not that bad, but I can't believe I let the entire weekend slip by without updating our site with a couple little thoughts from the past few days.

We spent this weekend, Thursday thru Sunday in Two Harbors at Catalina Island. It was a last minute decision for us to make the trip, and we're glad we were able to squeeze the trip in between all the things going on back home. See, each year Beneteau, the makers of our boat, puts on a weekend event here for their Southern California owners. The event is essentially a celebration for Beneteau owners and a chance to meet new people, see the new Beneteau products, and ask questions about boat features, issues. Of course its a great way for people who are in the market for a new boat to see and experience the products. We're not in the market for a new boat, but it's always fun to see people we've met at past events and just relax at Catalina.

So, what is Catalina Island all about? Well, it's a great little island off the coast of the Los Angeles area. It takes about 4 hours from LA to get here. For us, it takes considerably longer. See, San Diego is quite a bit farther South so we allot between 12-14 hours for the trip to 2 Harbors on the North side of the island.

We left San Diego Wednesday evening about 4 or 5pm and traveled overnight to arrive here about 7am. The trip was easy, and it sure was a LOT warmer than coming up Baja. And, I was all prepared for the frigid conditions...I'd brought my scarf, wool hat, gloves, etc - all those things I DIDN'T have for the cold trip up the coast of Baja. Oh well!

We enjoyed relaxing and recovering from lack of sleep from our night watch schedule on Thursday. Friday consisted of a dingy raft-up breakfast, hiking in the late morning, lunch on the boat, dingy tour in the anchorage, and a cookout in the evening. Today was even busier with things like boating seminars, sailing, and a luau. Speaking of sailing, today we went out on the new 46ft model. She was a fast boat...ok, so we had the high performance cruising sails and also an expert racer on the boat...but still was a fantastic boat. The boat is WAY too big for me, but it was nice to see how something like that handles out on the water, and it was nice to see the other big boats and lots of owners out as well.

We'll be headed home at about 6am tomorrow morning, and we're hoping if conditions are good to be able to fly the spinnaker. We've got to do everything we can to keep up with the bigger boats! ##
Comments
Vessel Name: Second Wind
Vessel Make/Model: 2000 Beneteau 331
Hailing Port: San Diego
Crew: Cory & Melissa
About:
If you've considered cruising, but never had the ability to cut the ties to land, contemplate this quote from Mark Twain....."Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. [...]

Who: Cory & Melissa
Port: San Diego