Change of Latitude in the Pacific Northwest

Change of Latitude in the Pacific Northwest

Who: Don/Debbie/Katie Baxter/Sarah Leu
Port: Bellingham, WA

Garrison Bay and Prevost Harbor Marine Park

31 December 2012 | Prevost Harbor
Don/Brrrr
Tummies full from an exceptional dinner at Macmillan’s we slept in a bit this morning before having oatmeal and blueberry breakfast. It was raining as Debbie took us out of the slip at Roche Harbor and Don handled the lines. Debbie carefully navigated down narrow Mosquito Channel and then through a tight passage to Garrison Bay. We showed Dave and Mary Margaret the old fort (now a historic monument) that the Brits built in the 1800’s during our boundary dispute over the border with Canada that involved the San Juan Islands. (“Forty Nine forty or fight!”). They wanted to establish their claim to the San Juan Islands during our border dispute. The “Pig War” on San Juan Island erupted when an American citizen killed a British citizen’s pig. This resulted in the Brit’s building their fort in Garrison Bay and the Americans building their fort a little further south on San Juan Island at American Camp. Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed and Kaiser Wilhelm was called in to settle the boundary dispute. The U.S, settled for a line a bit south of 49 degrees 40’ in the islands, but which included the San Juan Islands of Washington.

In the rain, Debbie took us out to Haro Straight where we kept an eye out for a pod of transient Orcas that had been reported, but no luck. We cruised up to Turn Point, staying inside US waters in case any pig-loving Brits were watching the border closely ;-), and then entered Prevost Harbor Marine Park, a fav place to stay since it is a bit more wild and scenic than Roche Harbor. We tied up to the rustic dock and settled in. Don made his famous clam chowder for a late lunch and it was spectacularly good. Debbie and Dave went for a hike on the island. That evening, Don and Dave grilled some awesome steaks on the aft deck and we had a late dinner as we waited for the New Year’s celebration on our sat TV. At precisely 9 pm Pacific, we saw the ball drop in Times Square and wished one another Happy New Year. Debbie took a photo of the moon. Then, we went to bed. What a great way to celebrate New Years, going to bed early!!
Comments
Vessel Name: Change of Latitude
Vessel Make/Model: Grand Banks CL 42
Hailing Port: Bellingham, WA
Crew: Don/Debbie/Katie Baxter/Sarah Leu
About: We live on the East Coast but enjoy wilderness cruising in the Pacific Northwest.
Extra: We enjoy crabbing, shrimping, fishing, and clamming. Some of us are crazy enough to swim in Northwest waters during the summer.

Change of Latitude in the Pacific Northwest

Who: Don/Debbie/Katie Baxter/Sarah Leu
Port: Bellingham, WA