Change of Latitude in the Pacific Northwest

Change of Latitude in the Pacific Northwest

Who: Don/Debbie/Katie Baxter/Sarah Leu
Port: Bellingham, WA

More whales on the way to Tenekee Springs

30 July 2013
We were up early to pull up the Ducky and secure her on the back deck. I fixed oatmeal to have on the way out. We pulled anchor and were underway by 7, off for Tenakee Springs. Right away we saw whales and had to make several detours to avoid them. The herring were thick at this time of year and these humpbacks winter in Hawaii to breed. They never eat in Hawaii so the rush to fuel up for a six month fast is pretty intense in the summer up here.

There was a brief period of cell service opposite Angoon so both Deb and I engaged in a flurry of text and email activity. I also got a call in back to the office.

As we approached Tenakee Inlet, we saw the crab boat, Time Bandit, on AIS. Time Bandit was a star of “Most Dangerous Catch,” a reality TV program on crab fishing in the Bering Sea.

We docked at Tenakee and tried to get to the bakery and café before 2 but were too late for sandwiches. We had a cinnamon bun and corn muffin instead and then went over to the mercantile store for ice cream. It was hot today.

Our friend Pat was in Juneau so we missed Pat and Teri once again. Bummer. Pat taught me in an advanced seminar on crabbing, fishing, and shrimping one summer when we spent a week with them in Tenakee.

We had a nice walk back to the boat and fixed brats for dinner.
Comments
Vessel Name: Change of Latitude
Vessel Make/Model: Grand Banks CL 42
Hailing Port: Bellingham, WA
Crew: Don/Debbie/Katie Baxter/Sarah Leu
About: We live on the East Coast but enjoy wilderness cruising in the Pacific Northwest.
Extra: We enjoy crabbing, shrimping, fishing, and clamming. Some of us are crazy enough to swim in Northwest waters during the summer.

Change of Latitude in the Pacific Northwest

Who: Don/Debbie/Katie Baxter/Sarah Leu
Port: Bellingham, WA