Change of Latitude in the Pacific Northwest

Change of Latitude in the Pacific Northwest

Who: Don/Debbie/Katie Baxter/Sarah Leu
Port: Bellingham, WA

Chemainus and Roche Harbor

02 January 2015
Today our three boats would separate. Deception and Grand Adventure were heading over to Ganges and we were headed to Chemainus. We wanted to show Irwin and Mary the wall paintings of historical scenes from Chemainus. We also wanted to stop at the bakery!

We departed Silva Bay together at first light and headed out through Gabriola Pass. We had timed the current perfectly and there was little flow. As we approached Ruxton Passage, we said our fair wells. We turned to starboard and headed over to Chemainus while the others continued down Pylades Channel. The winds were calm again and we had an easy passage to Chemainus.

Debbie hailed the harbormaster, Harmon, a great guy. Debbie recalled our previous stay and mentioned Brian's name and that brought an immediate positive response. He said to dock on the outside or inside. We decided on the outside near the ferry since we had not yet decided to spend the night here. Harmon got us tied up securely and we headed off to explore the town.

We hiked throughout the town, following the yellow footprints on the sidewalk to guide us and took photos of many of the wonderful wall paintings. We went into an antique store to look at things and then headed back to the boat. First, though, the bakery! Irwin spotted some great looking sourdough bread. I spotted a 12-pack of peanut butter cookies. We purchased them and headed back to the boat. We had decided to head for Roche Harbor on the US side for the night and have dinner at Macmillan's. Because the US customs does not want apples brought back, Debbie took about a dozen apples up to Harmon who greatly appreciated them. Then, we took off right after the ferry left. We headed over to Roche Harbor.

The winds picked up a bit along the way but it was an easy crossing. I played "Born in the USA" as we crossed the border. At Roche, Debbie took our passports and papers and cleared us back into the US. The office did not even come aboard. Perhaps because it was raining outside. We took our boat over to the visiting docks and tied up at the nice high docks that they have here, making it very easy to get on and off the boat. That night we had early dinner at Macmillans. Debbie called over and they were booked with a big crowd from the University of Washington. Their team had a bowl game that evening but we managed to get a table at 5:30. The food was great, as always, and we had their fruit stuffed puff pastry with ice cream for desert. Oh my, we have been eating well on this trip!
Comments
Vessel Name: Change of Latitude
Vessel Make/Model: Grand Banks CL 42
Hailing Port: Bellingham, WA
Crew: Don/Debbie/Katie Baxter/Sarah Leu
About: We live on the East Coast but enjoy wilderness cruising in the Pacific Northwest.
Extra: We enjoy crabbing, shrimping, fishing, and clamming. Some of us are crazy enough to swim in Northwest waters during the summer.

Change of Latitude in the Pacific Northwest

Who: Don/Debbie/Katie Baxter/Sarah Leu
Port: Bellingham, WA