Change of Latitude in the Pacific Northwest

Change of Latitude in the Pacific Northwest

Who: Don/Debbie/Katie Baxter/Sarah Leu
Port: Bellingham, WA

Exploring the Glass Museum in Tacoma. Dock Street Marina

08 January 2016
I worked a bit in the morning after breakfast. Then I went to the Marina building and had a shower in one of the best marina showers I had ever found. It was clean and warm inside, there was plenty of hot water, and lots of hooks to hang up clothes. The best part of all? It was FREE! That is most unusual. I rated it a 5 (out of 5). Best ever! Then we went up to spend the afternoon at the Glass museum and the Hot Room, where artists and glass teams collaborate on works of art. We had another exceptional lunch at the museum’s restaurant and then went right to the Hot Room. There, an artist had designed an enormous glass heart that would have colored liquid inside and drip onto sheets of blues music. It was an interesting idea and we got to watch the blowing and shaping of the heart and arteries. The glass blowing team did an amazing job as the artist watched and added a few additional ideas. Afterwards we viewed a new exhibit of works of glass. We always enjoy this museum. Dale Chihuly started his career in Tacoma and supports this important museum.

Afterwards we returned to the boat and found a large 100 tour boat, The Spirit of Seattle docked next to our boat. Apparently a large group had rented it for dinner. Problem was, the boat had engines or a generator that was so loud it was hard to hear on our boat. Sheeesh. Not especially courteous. It took them several hours to set the dining tables up and for guest to arrive. When it finally departed, in the fog, it was sooooo quiet! We had a quick dinner of chile and decided to go to bed before it returned, in hopes we might sleep through the noise. We didn’t but eventually it left. Thank goodness!
Comments
Vessel Name: Change of Latitude
Vessel Make/Model: Grand Banks CL 42
Hailing Port: Bellingham, WA
Crew: Don/Debbie/Katie Baxter/Sarah Leu
About: We live on the East Coast but enjoy wilderness cruising in the Pacific Northwest.
Extra: We enjoy crabbing, shrimping, fishing, and clamming. Some of us are crazy enough to swim in Northwest waters during the summer.

Change of Latitude in the Pacific Northwest

Who: Don/Debbie/Katie Baxter/Sarah Leu
Port: Bellingham, WA