Sailors to seadogs

Jackie & Colins' adventures on the high seas.

09 April 2017
03 April 2017
03 April 2017
21 June 2016
13 March 2016
27 February 2016
27 February 2016
18 November 2015
12 November 2015
27 September 2015
15 September 2015 | Puerto Real Marina
07 September 2015
28 July 2015
26 July 2015 | Ile a Vache, Haiti
18 July 2015 | Ila a Vache Haiti

Frustration with the housing market

13 August 2012
We're beginning to get just a little frustrated in our quest for adventure on the high seas. The plan was to have sold at least one of the two properties that we have on the market, but as of today we haven't had any reasonable offers. In fact apart from one silly offer we have not had one. This is down to the depressed state of the market, I suppose but it's very frustrating non the less. Without a sale we're stuck here on dry land, still trawling the internet for likely boats but how can we move on anything without the cash to buy.

In the meantime we're getting in some experience sailing this 100 year old gaff rigged cutter, which is fun. We don't sale her by ourselves though. She belongs to a trust with a few members who sail so we usually have another couple of people on board. We don't get to sail very far though as she is on a drying mooring here in Morcambe bay. She floats about 2 hours before high tide and has to be back about 2 hours after otherwise we would be aground. The tides and the weather play a large part in when we can sail her so we've only managed a couple of weekends this whole summer, which has been particularly naff here in the north of England this years.

Sailing Hearts of Oak is nothing like sailing a modern type of boat, although the principle is the same all the lines and sheets are hesian ropes which fasten to old fashioned cleats and are not at all friendly to handle. Mind you she feels very safe when she takes off, but this is an inshore fishing vessel not an ocean cruiser, and it takes at least four of us to sort out the sails and get her rigged to go.

But this is not getting us any nearer to our dream, we need to see at least one of our properties selling. Each time we get a we think maybe this will be it, but no.

Oh well patience I suppose, but it's hard sometimes to wait.
Comments
Vessel Name: Picaroon
Vessel Make/Model: Hardin Sea Wolf (Formosa 41)
Hailing Port: Luperon Dominican Republic
Crew: Jackie and Colin Williams
About: We had never sailed until September 09 when we went on a RYA Start yachting course in Largs in Scotland. We have this plan to learn how to sail a 36ft boat around the Caribbean, in about 2 years time. 2011/12 now updated to August 2013
Extra:
We moved out of the UK in September 2013 and bought ourselves a boat, she's a Hardin Sea Wolf and we have been fixing her in Salinas in Puerto Rico. In May we set sail for the Dominican Republic where well be for the summer of 14 then next November we set sail for new horizons. It's adventure [...]
Picaroon's Photos - Main
Luperon, Haiti, Cuba and Jamaica
No Photos
Created 18 May 2015
4 Photos
Created 29 March 2014
shakedown voyage
8 Photos
Created 26 March 2014
2 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
Picaroon
22 Photos
Created 15 October 2013