Sailors to seadogs

Jackie & Colins' adventures on the high seas.

09 April 2017
03 April 2017
03 April 2017
21 June 2016
13 March 2016
27 February 2016
27 February 2016
18 November 2015
12 November 2015
27 September 2015
15 September 2015 | Puerto Real Marina
07 September 2015
28 July 2015
26 July 2015 | Ile a Vache, Haiti
18 July 2015 | Ila a Vache Haiti

Shopping for boats.

20 September 2013
It was so easy when we were back in the uk and looking at boats on the internet, when we didn't have the money to actually buy, we gathered lists of all sorts of boats in our boats bookmark.
Now we're here in the Dominican Republic, now known as the Republica Dominicana, and we have the funds ready to go and buy, it's a completely different story, now its got serious.
We had this idea that we would most probably buy a boat in the States as they are almost a third cheaper than back in Europe, that was the plan. We rest up here for a couple of months and then go shopping.

Well it seems that shifting your life half way across the world requires a lot of shopping to be done, but not for boats. First we need a new kitchen for our little condo. This will be custom built by a master carpenter who can't speak English, and our espanol is still in the embryonic stage. Luckily we have a friend who does the interpreting but we still have to communicate with him via email. His emails come to us in Spanish which we put through Google translate, and we reply in google-converted Spanish. Surprisingly this almost works. Anyway needless to say it has taken a chunk of our time going here and there looking for ideas as well as finding new cookers, microwave, fridges, door handles cooker hoods.
Most of this shopping, well all of this shopping is carried out in the heat of the day. It's unusually hot and very humid, and only a few shops seem to have air con so we sweat buckets, but all this has to be done if we're going to be able to attract renters for our apartment whilst we go sailing.
Sailing, that's right we were going to buy a boat, but first we need to buy a car, and a car with air-con, not like the one we saw today that had very feeble air-con and the electric windows didn't close, so we crossed that one off the list and headed off up the main drag, again in the blistering heat, to walk a mile to a second hand car lot we'd spotted from the bus. Found a nice VW car, with good air-con, at the right price. The next car lot up the road, 100 yds and now we're realy hot, turns up a "Terios" a bit old but let's take it for a drive. We are only just out of the drive and onto a busy road when it jerks to a halt. We're out of fuel!!!!
No problemo, says Senor sales person, as he hails a moto concho who pushes us with his outstretched leg to a gas station a mile up the road. We walk off and leave the man with his heap of a car and hail a bus for Cabarete. There we pop into Friendlys' car show room, only joking, really it's another in the full sun car lot, but senor Friendly is very friendly and we talk till we melt, which is all of about five minutes. Maybe he has a car we could buy but for now our brains are frying and we need to go and take the measurements of a microwave we bought for the new kitchen. There's no, well almost no air-con in the Tienda, that's shop in Spanish, and we are now at least a gallon short of the liquid we were made of when we set off at half eight this morning, time to go home, "What is the time?", well what do you know it's 1pm, mad dogs and Englishmen.
Lo and Behold we pick up a Gua Gua, thats a VW mini bus, that holds about ten personas, people, sorry slipped into espanol again, although most of the time there are twenty five of us in there. In this one not only are there only about eight personas inside but it also has air-con!!!!!!!!!! Well we're in Gua Gua heaven all the way to our little piece of paradise that is Orilla del Mar. In fact so stunned were we by this air-con gua gua that we almost missed our stop.

Back in the cool of our apartment and we've got an email from the boat brokerage in The BVI to confirm our meeting next week in Puerto Rico to have a look at a Hardin Sea wolf.
So next week we go shopping for boats.
Comments
Vessel Name: Picaroon
Vessel Make/Model: Hardin Sea Wolf (Formosa 41)
Hailing Port: Luperon Dominican Republic
Crew: Jackie and Colin Williams
About: We had never sailed until September 09 when we went on a RYA Start yachting course in Largs in Scotland. We have this plan to learn how to sail a 36ft boat around the Caribbean, in about 2 years time. 2011/12 now updated to August 2013
Extra:
We moved out of the UK in September 2013 and bought ourselves a boat, she's a Hardin Sea Wolf and we have been fixing her in Salinas in Puerto Rico. In May we set sail for the Dominican Republic where well be for the summer of 14 then next November we set sail for new horizons. It's adventure [...]
Picaroon's Photos - Main
Luperon, Haiti, Cuba and Jamaica
No Photos
Created 18 May 2015
4 Photos
Created 29 March 2014
shakedown voyage
8 Photos
Created 26 March 2014
2 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
Picaroon
22 Photos
Created 15 October 2013